Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default It's the Big One!

....For those of you who are Sanford and Son fans

Whenever I go off track with my eating and gain weight, I am always convinced that - This is it! This is the big one! This is where I finally derail like I always knew I would and gain back all the weight that I've lost.

This is what I am feeling right now, and I am so low and panicky. I can picture having to get rid of my new smaller sizes I (like I did a few years ago) and replace them with bigger sizes. I can feel the shame when I have to face people at functions, feeling their judgement that I have put back on all the weight. I can picture seeing people who haven't even seen me yet at my new lower weight, who now never will, shaking their heads about how I really need to get myself in check and start dieting!

I need to envision myself getting back on track and continuing to lose. I need to picture myself fitter and thinner than I ever thought possible! I need to stop beating myself up for putting on a few pounds. Why do I do this to myself?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
Whenever I go off track with my eating and gain weight, I am always convinced that - This is it! This is the big one! This is where I finally derail like I always knew I would and gain back all the weight that I've lost.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. It sometimes feels like I'm not the one in control, even though logically I know I am. I suppose the best solution is for us to accumulate so many experiences of reversing small gains that we internalize the belief that we're actually steering this ship.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 06-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I am in EXACTLY the same place too! On a smaller scale--i've lost less weight than you, but to me it seems like it was a monumental effort to lose it, and now i feel like i'm well on my way to gaining it all back. EVERY SINGLE POUND.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #4  

. . . I'm coming to join you, guacamole (to continue in that Sanford & Son theme ).

I think many of us feel the way you do at times. For those of us who have yo-yo dieted (and I think I can safely say that is the majority), we don't trust ourselves. It's as if there are two of us: the positive one that loses the weight and the out-of-control pessimistic one that seems to stand on the sidelines while we regain it.

I've been reading a lot lately on willpower, habit, etc. in an effort to have my arsenal fully loaded when I start to feel as you do. What I've learned is that willpower diminishes throughout the day as we use it, but that forming good habits is a way to combat lack of willpower. Also, I've started to learn myself, i.e., I've learned that often I have intense urges and I give into them, resulting in a "I'll be better tomorrow" mentality. If I just fight the urge for 10-15 minutes, though, it usually goes away. My point with these examples is that I'm trying to learn myself, my triggers, and fight against them. I'm becoming more self-aware, which is something I never did in past attempts.

Don't give into that negative voice that is telling you that you don't have control over this. The reality is that you DO have control. Do some self-examination, and try to combat the hurdles to your success with some strategies that you have never tried before. Don't give up without a fight!

Last edited by lin43; 06-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

This is when I visualize myself on my ship, its veered off course but I snatch the wheel back, lash down the sails and right my ship. Then I start to steer it back in the right directions, knowing it might be a little wobbly at first.

Or I visualize myself driving a horse drawn wagon that has careened towards a ditch but I'm able to heave it back up onto the path.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #6  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

If there were an Olympic event involving negative self-talk, I would be a gold medal winner. But it's something I've been working on and I think it's crucial to develop the habit of telling that voice to shut the f*** up. I hit a new low on the scale earlier this month and then spent a couple of weeks indulging myself and revisiting old behaviors, resulting in a gain of a pound or two. It was tempting to use that as an excuse to give up on myself, but I didn't. I'm trying to have more faith in myself and in the tools I've been using to lose weight this time. Fear is not a good long-term motivator, but self-confidence can give you strength.

And now I have that theme song stuck in my head. Thanks, guac.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I'd suggest you flip through the goal pictures. Whenever I'm tired, bored, and annoyed with weight loss it really helps me.

You'll get through it - you obviously recognize when you are in danger and that's most of the battle I'd say.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8  

Thanks, everyone. I am still not on track today, and even though I don't physically look heavier, I feel heavier.

Geez, I got another one of those backhanded compliments today from an aunt. She hadn't seen me in a few months (this is why I dread my upcoming summer family reunion) and when I walked into the room she loudly exclaimed, "Where's the rest of you?" What exactly am I supposed to say to that. Then she proceeded to grill me about how I was losing the weight and what I was eating (I felt like a total hypocrite talking about eating whole foods and lean proteins given the past week). She then went on on to tell me I need to be eating various packaged diet bars/muffins/sugar free snacks. I told her if I don't recognize the ingredients on the package I don't eat it. I guess I needed the reminder and hearing myself say it out loud!

Anyway, I hope this coming week is better. I know what to do, I just have to do it.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #9  

Can someone help me with my problem? I know its not part of this thread, but I need help and no one is helping me.

Alright, so I want to exersize but I don't seem to find the time for a 30mins running workout anymore. I usually ran at 6.5 MPH for 30mins to lose around 390 calories on the treadmill. But what if I ran for 5mins a day for 6 times at 6.5 MPH to get a total of 30mins. Would there be a problem in terms of weight loss or calories lost or it would be the same thing just more into my schedule?
manyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyo View Post
Can someone help me with my problem? I know its not part of this thread, but I need help and no one is helping me.

Alright, so I want to exersize but I don't seem to find the time for a 30mins running workout anymore. I usually ran at 6.5 MPH for 30mins to lose around 390 calories on the treadmill. But what if I ran for 5mins a day for 6 times at 6.5 MPH to get a total of 30mins. Would there be a problem in terms of weight loss or calories lost or it would be the same thing just more into my schedule?
I think any movement is good, however, usually a treadmill workout involves a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down period to slowly work up and down your heart rate to a consistent level. If you go right from nothing to madly jogging at 6.5 mph and then come to a sudden stop, I think it might be jarring to your system. To do that several times a day at random intervals with no warm-up or cool-down might not feel so hot. Is it possible that you can wake up earlier to exercise or even exercise later in the evening? If not, I suppose a brisk walk or jog for several 5 minute stretches is better than giving up on exercise altogether - just make sure to listen to your body if you feel you are causing sudden strain or shock to your joints.

That's my 2 cents, but I am not a professional trainer.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
I think any movement is good, however, usually a treadmill workout involves a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down period to slowly work up and down your heart rate to a consistent level. If you go right from nothing to madly jogging at 6.5 mph and then come to a sudden stop, I think it might be jarring to your system. To do that several times a day at random intervals with no warm-up or cool-down might not feel so hot. Is it possible that you can wake up earlier to exercise or even exercise later in the evening? If not, I suppose a brisk walk or jog for several 5 minute stretches is better than giving up on exercise altogether - just make sure to listen to your body if you feel you are causing sudden strain or shock to your joints.

That's my 2 cents, but I am not a professional trainer.
Well, I may just warm up for a minute and then run for 6.5MPH for 5 minutes. So would that equal to 30 mins on the treadmill at 6.5MPH aswell?
manyo is offline   Reply With Quote