Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/216/130

Height: 5'5

Question How do you do it?

How exactly does calorie counting work? Do you ONLY count calories or do you also count carbs/fiber/fat? I have been doing Weight Watchers and had a lot of success with it but I seem to have just gotten bored and I have tried counting calories before but I just can't seem to get the hang of it, can anyone tell me how they do it and what helps them stick to it.
Thanks!
Brantleys Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

Well, some people count fat/carbs/protein, I just can't. That would drive me nuts, but it works for some people. Honestly I don't have the patience. The only thing I try to do it not eat the refined carbs. I really like counting calories. What keeps me motivated is setting short term goals/rewards. Plus seeing the numbers go down on the scale is actually the biggest motivation for me. This board helps alot too.

What parts of it are you having trouble getting the hang of??
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #3  

Well I guess it's not so much that I can't get the hang of it as it is that I just don't understand it. Do you just look at the nutrition facts and write down the calories and go about it that way? Maybe I should look for a "Calorie Counting for Dummies" book!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I use My Fitness Pal to calculate my calories. It tells me the sodium intake and protien too so I tend to look at those every now and then, especially if I'm in a snag with losing weight. Ususally if that happens I'm taking in too much sodium and retaining water. But calorie counting is the only thing that has worked for me! So I'm sticking to it
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

Yeah that's what I do. Oh and I also try to keep the sodium low also (it causes water gain/retention). What you do is this:
Figure out how many calories your limit will be per day. Then, every time you eat something, you write it down and add them up until you reach your limit for the day. It's sort of like Weight Watchers but with bigger numbers. For example, I allow myself to have 1450 cals per day. Every morning I eat the same thing: oatmeal with a banana. I write down the cals in the oatmeal (they're listed on the side of the box of the instant packs) which is 100. Then I weigh my banana (not everyone does that, I'm just anal about certain things) and then write down those calories. I do that for every meal until I reach my max for the day. Calorie counting is alot easier, in my opinion, if you plan your meals. Like, if you know you're going to have something heavier for dinner, eat a lighter lunch, that sort of thing. Does that help??
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #6  

It does. Thank you. My main problem was not knowing exactly what to keep track of, but I'm guessing that's just a personal discussion like you said. As long as you are keeping track of calories then I guess you're doing it right. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #7  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

I highly recommend My Fitness Pal. It's free and if you have a smartphone there is an app too.

I do WW and calorie count together so I can keep an eye on things like sodium, protein, sugar etc.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I just count calories while being aware of protein and carbs (but I don't track them). I also don't write down or track my food in an app. I keep an estimate going in my head.

Tracking macros was too much for me. I just try to eat more real foods than fake foods.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #9  

Height: 5'1

I've just joined My Fitness Pal because I was having trouble about how count calories and I have just planned my meals and snacks for the day! Found it very helpful and I'm currently downloading the app for my blackberry.

Definitely think it helps if you know what you're going to eat for the day beforehand. It calculates a recommended daily allowance for calories, fats, carbs and protein. Then you can enter in exercises you plan on doing and goals for the week and tracks your progress!

Only joined about 10 minutes ago and very pleased with it! I had been using a different website to track my foods but this is a lot easier to use.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I use Sparkpeople.com to track my calories (and it tracks fat, protein, carbs, too)
I keep my eye on the calories, but I also review the other nutrients to see what combination of things keeps me full and happy.
I plan my meals in advance so I don't arrive at dinner and realize I have 300 calories left.
I have done WW and calorie counting and find CC much easier. And with the Sparkpeople app on my phone and the computer, i have no excuse to not track.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I use a scale and measuring cups to calculate the calories and I don't religiously track macros but I do keep an eye on it and try to focus on "real" foods, less processed. After having done it for so long, I eyeball a lot of my food since I eat pretty much the same thing all the time, lol.

Start small then you'll get the hang of it in no time! I'm sure it's the same with WW, you start to remember how many points is in a serving of string cheese, 3-4oz of chicken, etc. I transitioned from WW to calorie counting with no problems so I'm sure you will do just fine.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote