Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #1  

Default Brain Fog?

I have been on this program with alternatives for five weeks and have lost 26 pounds. My brain feels really foggy and I have some important certification tests coming up after completing my degree. I'm finding it extremely difficult to concentrate and remember while I am studying. Does anyone else have this feeling and does it eventually go away? I am having so much success, but I don't want to sabotage my exams either. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #2  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

I have to honestly say no. In fact if anything I feel I am even more focused than before the diet. I would investigate the alternatives to see if there is something vital you are missing. Are you taking vitamins?
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Have you had your thyroid checked lately?
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/141.6/145

Height: 5' 9"

Make sure you are getting all of your oil and sea salt in. I was having this problem until I really became a stickler on those two items.
Stefany1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice. I have had my thyroid and labs drawn this month and all is good there. I don't think I have been a stickler on the sea salt and oil, so I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Brain fog is normal. Carbs are brain food. It should pass.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/114.6/118

Height: 5'2"

I really never feel very good on phase 1. It wasn't until I started Phase 3 and added some carbs that I felt "normal" again. Sorry. I know a lot (most) people on here feel the exact opposite and say Ketosis gives them so much energy but it never did for me.
VickiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #8  

Thanks Purple sky and VickiR for your responses. I was hoping that by five weeks that this side effect would have improved or gone away. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one that isn't feeling great and full of energy. Maybe this is just how my body responds.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 226/226/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Have you been checked for fructose malabsorption issues? Even though we have no fruit, fructans are present in asparagus, onions, leeks and more.

I was having issues with the leek soup (and I was over the top--having it 2x a day for a while), but since I've eliminated all obvious sources of fructans am feeling extremely sharp!
lila26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #10  

I started IP Nov 5, 2011 and I do remember feeling foggy in the beginning. I don't remember how long it lasted; was at least the first month and maybe the first two months. And yes, it cleared away for me. I have taken the vitamins since day 1; added the anti-ox and enzymes sometime in the first several mos. I also would take little containers with 1/2 a IP product to work, for a snack between meals. Like part of a bar or half bag of soy puffs. I am two thirds toward goal now, and don't feel like I need those little snacks every 3 hrs. like I did then.
LilacPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/129

Height: 5/3"

I have that problem, especially when I first wake up, if I haven't gotten my salt and all my water. Good luck, this has to be really frustrating for you! And let us know how you do on your tests!
Copperhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/172/130

Height: 5'4

More water and enough sleep. Oh, and more water.

If you're drinking 8 glasses, drink ten. If you're drinking 10, drink 12. Dehydration will be the leading cause of the "fog". The fog usually lasts the first week or so until your cells are properly hydrated, then you might still be a little spacey because of such a drop in carbs, but you should actually feel quite focused on projects and such. Keep those cell's hydrated and you'll be fine. Add a little salt and crystal light to your water for a real hydrating punch.

Last edited by amandasweet; 06-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
amandasweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi,
I heard part of an audio book on a long flight a few days ago and will be buying the hard copy book (or maybe one of the updated versions of it). Still what I heard was highly informative and could help you right away. Book was "Making a Good Brain Great" by Dr. David Amen. This is a 2005 book - he has numerous others that are more recent on Amazon as well. If I were you, I'd quickly research this and take some extra supplements that are proven to feed your brain. Different supplements support different areas of the brain - so what you need to short term memory may differ what you need for emotional stability and so forth. I believe GABA might be what might help you - but do your own research and let us know how your exams go. Good luck!

Amazon review:
Daniel Amen, M.D., one of the world’s foremost authorities on the brain, has news for you: your brain is involved in everything you do—learn to care for it properly, and you will be smarter, healthier, and happier in as little as 15 days!

You probably run, lift weights, or do yoga to keep your body in great shape; you put on sunscreen and lotions to protect your skin; but chances are you simply ignore your brain and trust it to do its job. People unknowingly endanger or injure their brains, stress them by working at a frenzied pace and not getting enough sleep, pollute them with caffeine, alcohol, and drugs, and deprive them of proper nutrients. Brain dysfunction is the number one reason people fail at school, work, and relationships. The brain is the organ of learning, working, and loving—the supercomputer that runs our lives. It’s very simple: when our brains work right, we work right—and when our brains have trouble, we have trouble in our lives.

Luckily, it’s never too late: the brain is capable of change, and when you care for it, the results are amazing. Making a Good Brain Great gives you the tools you need to optimize your brain power and enrich your health and your life in the process. The principles and exercises in this book, based on years of cutting-edge neuroscience research and the experiences of thousands of people, provide a wealth of practical information to teach you how to achieve the best brain possible. You will learn:

•how to eat right to think right

•how to protect your brain from injuries and toxic substances

•how to nourish your brain with vitamins and do mental workouts to keep it strong

•the critical component of physical exercise, and which kinds work best

•how to rid your brain of negative thoughts, counteract stress, and much more

Full of encouraging anecdotes from Dr. Amen’s many years of experience, Making a Good Brain Great is a positive and practical road map for enriching and improving your own greatest asset—your brain.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 219/173/145

Height: 5'4"

I keep forgetting things so I feel as if I have brain fog too. I am on week 14. I get all my oils and salt in and drink tons of water....over 12 cups a day. Not sure what the issue is.
Momofckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #15  

I just started my fifth week today. I also feel brain fog, and I'm following the plan 100%. On days that I exercise, my brain fog lifts. I'm also having insomnia, so that might be contributing to the brain fog. I was just watching Dr. Oz and he mentioned citrus scents as energizing to the brain. I have some essential oils, so I'm gonna give it a try. I will let you know if it helps.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote