Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

Default Feed back on Wellbutrin

Hi today is my third day of taking Bupropion HCL SR 100 mg which is the generic for Wellbutrin SR. Tomorrow is the last day that I will be taking this dose. The dr. wants me to take one tablet in the morning and then one tablet between 4 to 6 pm on the fifth day. So bringing me to a totoal of 200 mg. I am just curious to know how others have felt with it. Does it really help with weight loss? That is why the Dr. has prescribed it for me. I will appreciate any feed back.
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm surprised you aren't getting more feedback.. I've been wondering about this one too since it seems to have less negative side effects. only negative I've found that worry me are hair loss (and I already have thin hair) and seizures. I'm not taking it yet, still doing some research.

how are you doing on it? is it suppressing your appetite? giving energy?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I lost about 10 pounds in three weeks on it. I had to stop taking it because I was allergic and then gained the weight back and then some.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #4  

I am doing great!! It gives me a lot of energy and it is supressing my appetite. I couldn't be happier than this.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5  
Warrior Princess

Wellbutrin has a bit of an "upper" component to it so it will definitely help with weight loss. Only problem is when you go off of it you will gain the weight back if you don't diet and exercise.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #6  
No longer overweight

S/C/G: 140/111/108

Height: 158 cm / 5"2

I took Wellbutrin for 5 years and it saved my life.

Before Wellbutrin, I was on Effexor and it made me put on about 15 lbs. I never felt natural.

But with Wellbutrin, I didn't feel a sudden surge of happiness, rather it supported me in getting my life back together. Naturally, when you feel more in control of your eating habits, personal relationships, and just general ability to go to work and be good at what you do, you become a happier person. This is exactly how Wellbutrin helped me. I had the desire to get up in the morning to work out and lose the weight that was contributing to my depression, meet friends that I was previously avoiding, and allow new experiences into my life once again.

While on Wellbutrin I lost 28 lbs, combined with exercise and Jenny Craig.

I have been weaned off the medication since I moved to Germany simply because it's about 7 times more expensive and I just don't need it anymore. I have not experienced any withdrawal nor a need start on it again.

I wish you all the best.
Erdnussbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I was taking 100 mg a day and felt nothing. I am now taking 150 mg in the morning and another one at night so it is 300 mg a day. My appetite is definitely suppressed, although I am an emotional eater and want to eat during stressful times. (I'm going through an ugly divorce so there are plenty of stressful times). I have lost ten lbs since taking the higher dose. I also contribute that weight loss to following a diet but the welbutrim many made it easier to do it? One thing I do notice is that I get a bit of a headache after taking it. My teeth have been more sensitive also, I wonder if it is giving me dry mouth or something. That's my experience with welbutrim, I'm too afraid to stop it right now. I am managing to deal with my problems well given the circumstances, so I think it is working. ..and yes, I have lost weight.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I've been on 300 mg. for about a year I think. I haven't noticed a difference either way. I had so hoped for a miracle on this one in terms of mood and energy but it didn't happen. I'm not even sure it suppressed my appetite. But my psych decided to keep me on it and change a bunch of other things. The other things seem to be working and we decided not to remove the wellbutrin just in case it is contributing to my current state. So while I can't specifically point to the wellbutrin as being helpful in mood or weight loss. It hasn't hurt anything for me.
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/243/175

I just started the welbutrin. I am feeling a little nervous about taking medicine since I have never had to before. I am feeling better about life in general this past week. I have no appetite whatsoever. I also feel waves of nausea, but I'm hoping with time that subsides. I would just like to know of there is anyone out there who has lost more than 50lbs on the welbutrin. I had already started watching what I was eating and lost 12lbs in a month and a half. I hope the medicine can kick up the weight loss in high gear along with helping me to stay happy. I just want to be my old self again. Any feed back would be amazing. Sometimes I think I'm the only one going through this weight issues and depression.
gphibgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #10  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

I started Wellbutrin the first time when I was 14. I have gone off of it a couple of times as an unreliable teenager. But at 21 I went back on, and the last 4 yrs have been very empowering. It never gave me surges of energy or suppressed my appetite or curbed cigarette cravings. But it gave me control of my life back. It allowed me to FUNCTION. And that alone was such a huge relief, that I generally start dropping weight just from being HAPPIER, but no major lifestyle changes.

I've been on it for so long now that I couldn't tell you what it does to me. Its been a blissful maintenance that I am eternally grateful for. But, unlike many anti-depressants, it does NOT work overnight. It is the process of a few weeks (6-8, I believe) for it to start taking true effects. You've made it this far, you CAN do 6 to 8 more weeks- it is so, so worth it!

That being said, the "right" medication is different for everyone. Wellbutrin may not work for you the way it worked for me. But it has definitely been a blessing for me personally.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #11  

wellbutrin gave me energy and reduced appetite the first two weeks. Now it is completely gone.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 311/301/150

Height: 5"6"

I use to take Wellbutrin, and I loved it. Actually they had me on a cocktail of 2 or 3 meds at the same time. I can't remember the others, but I have taken Wellbutrin on and off for about 15 years. I have been completely off meds for about 4 years, so I am trying to thing back. I remember feeling great! One side affect was appetite control as well. Mix that with the great feeling, and I was spending my days barely eating, and my nights dancing at the club. I actually lost about 55 pounds in 6 months. At one point they doctors actually weaned me off because I was loosing too much weight.

I'm not saying to take Wellbutrin for the weight loss effects, but it was a nice side affect for me. My husband has taken Wellbutrin on and off for a few years for smoking cessation. He says it takes his cravings away. Even without the loss of appetite thing, I think it was a great med for my bipolar. I felt wonderful, and I was more confident on it. If I ever need to go back on meds, I would ask my doctor for Wellbutrin first.
trf0ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256.5/264./150

Height: 5'5"

I have been on and off it for a few years now. The name brand works for me, the generic that Target carries doesn't (couldn't find the old bottle to tell you who made it). The generic made by Teva works but I have to order it in at the compounding Rx that I use for my thyroid meds. It takes a couple of extra days to get in but it is worth the hassle. And if my brain is working I order both meds before I need them so I don't have to make 2 trips up there.
CarlyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #14  
will Never Give Up!

S/C/G: 294/285/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Wellbutrin

I've been on Wellbutrin for 5 years. It initially helped with appetite and I lost a little weight, but I don't think it does that for me at all any more. I do take Celexa with it and don't know how that changes that.
vegasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #15  

Default I love it.

I have been on Wellbutrin for about a year now. When I first went on it, it killed my appetite. It wasn't just suppressing my appetite, I was actually a little nauseated if I did eat. I lost 12 to 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Since that is exactly what I wanted to lose, I thought this was great. My appetite slowly came back. As it came back, I still had a lesser appetite. Was this because of the Wellbutrin or was it because I had been eating such small amounts that I had adjusted? I don't know. What I do know is that when I did start eating more, I more easily maintained my weight. Some of what I have read indicates that Wellbutrin can do this.
PsykGeekMW is offline   Reply With Quote