Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

Default Am I not allowed to have a cheat day?

Last year, I lost 30 lbs before August and regained about 10 lbs by April of this year. I've started up on my weight loss again...eating healthier and working out 6 times a week. I usually take a break on Sunday and have a "cheat" day on Saturday. However, it seems like my cheat day wipes away all of my hard work Monday through Friday. For almost the past 2.5 months, I look at my weigh-in log and see gains Sunday morning ranging from .8 - 2.2 lbs that then takes me several days to get rid of.

Yesterday I worked out and did strength training for 30 minutes and step aerobics for 45. My HRM said I burned 901 calories. I then ate a healthy breakfast and for lunch I had a cheeseburger and small fry from McDonald's. I then spent the rest of the day cooking bacon wrapped chicken bites and cupcakes from a weight watchers site that I found. Yes, I ate some of the chicken bites and cupcakes and had some more fries. I also drank about 10 cups of water. Of course, when I got on the scale this morning there was 1.4 lb gain, same as last weekend.

I am a daily weigher (I work in Finance and am numbers driven) because I like to track trends and analyze the data. Last year, I had a similar system where I worked out six days a week, break day on Sunday, cheat day on Saturday and I never saw this trend.

Can my body no longer handle a cheat day?
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

How many calories are you eating on a cheat day? How many are you eating on a "normal day."

I eat between 1400-1700 calories on a normal day. I've found that the days I feel like I've "cheated" I usually have had about 2000-2100 calories. This doesn't affect my weight loss and happens maybe once every 2 weeks.

You said "I usually take a break on Sunday and have a "cheat" day on Saturday." Does this mean you take 2 days "off" of your plan?

Are you on an overall losing pattern? Is your diet so restrictive that you feel the need to cheat? Something isn't working here. I think you need to reevaluate your whole plan, not just your weekends off.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
How many calories are you eating on a cheat day? How many are you eating on a "normal day."

I eat between 1400-1700 calories on a normal day. I've found that the days I feel like I've "cheated" I usually have had about 2000-2100 calories. This doesn't affect my weight loss and happens maybe once every 2 weeks.

You said "I usually take a break on Sunday and have a "cheat" day on Saturday." Does this mean you take 2 days "off" of your plan?

Are you on an overall losing pattern? Is your diet so restrictive that you feel the need to cheat? Something isn't working here. I think you need to reevaluate your whole plan, not just your weekends off.
I usually eat around 1400 calories during my normal days. My break day on Sunday is an exercise break day. I go back to 1400 calories on that day. My cheat days are usually around 2000 calories (but I also work out on that day as well). I don't feel like my diet is restrictive. I allow myself treats (within reason and within my calorie allowance) during the week and I never starve myself. If I go back a month ago (4.27.12), I am down two lbs with working out 6 days a week, changing my eating habits, and being more mindful of being active even when not working out.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #4  

So, what you're saying is that, overall, you're losing about 1/2 lb. a week, right (you indicated 2 lbs in a month)? If so, that's fine. It's the overall trend downward that matters, not the daily viccissitudes of the scale. Unless you binged on about 4500 calories over your maintenance calories (and based on your description, that's no what you did), there's no way you gained 1.2 lbs. of fat overnight. I never weigh myself after a big day of eating because what's the point? I know that the scale will show a gain because there's physically more food in my system besides the inevitable water retention.

If I read your second post correctly and your weight is decreasing over time, I would say that you actually can continue what you're doing because it's working.

Last edited by lin43; 05-27-2012 at 08:03 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I agree, if you are on an overall downward trend, to just stick withit. Maybe only weigh once a week?

Are you tending to eat more on days you burn a lot? I noticed your comment about the burn and what you ate later and wondered if there was a connection. (You can just answer this to yourself if you want, its just something to think about).

If you think the cheat days are a problem maybe figure out why you are having them. What are you cheating on? You said you had treats in your normal days, so what is the cheat day about? A feeling that you "deserve" something? Maybe this could be replaced by a massage or manicure? Or is it that you go out and its harder to be on plan at a restaurant/bar? This could be fixed by preplanning meals, drinks etc.

If you figure out what the cheat day is about you might be able to replace it with something that won't cause such fluctuations on the scale.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/150/140

Height: 5' 7"

Hello! It seems very reasonable to eat 2000 calories one day per week and 1400 other days. Could it be fluid retention if the foods are salty? Water weight can really mess up the scale!!

Best of luck and congrats on your weight loss!
TurboLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #7  

My problem is that last year when I was losing weight, it was a much quicker process. I was losing 2 lbs, 2.6 lbs, etc....a low week was 1lb. I keep comparing the two.

I don't eat more on days I burn a lot, except for Saturdays. For a while, I was considering upping my calories, because I burn so many through exercise during the week.

Seagirl, you bring up a really good point. I do allow myself treats during the week, so why do I really need a cheat day? I have the cheat day because I do view it as a reward and a day to take a break from my routine, but I reward myself throughout the week as well. I think you're right. I do need to look into something else other than food as a reward since it's causing a problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLaura View Post
Hello! It seems very reasonable to eat 2000 calories one day per week and 1400 other days. Could it be fluid retention if the foods are salty? Water weight can really mess up the scale!!
Totally agree. Your oveall plan allows for slightly higher calories one day a week without being an obscene amount, and your daily average isn't too low or too high. I'd say you have a nice balance! You get enough exercise and give yourself a full day off to rest.

Honestly your approach seems a lot more well-rounded than most people's who end up eating far below what is sustainable and then binge big time. I say keep it up!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
I have the cheat day because I do view it as a reward and a day to take a break from my routine, but I reward myself throughout the week as well. I think you're right. I do need to look into something else other than food as a reward since it's causing a problem.
I think it's exactly that.
It seems to me that most of us who come here have (had) at some point a problem with food. "Allow", "cheat", "reward" (well, "food as reward", in fact), are wrong approaches. I mean, why cheat? Who are we cheating? A diet plan? The diet plan itself doesn't care. So we cheat ourselves, most likely.

I used to think like that as well, but it's not a positive kind of thinking in the end. (And we probably don't need a "cheat day" if we have small "rewards" throughout the week. Let's ditch the "cheat day" altogether.)

Of course, I'm aware that this is all "easier said than done" talk...
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #10  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I just did a quick search and there are 750mg of sodium in one McDonalds Cheeseburger. If you weigh daily, I think you will see that on the scale.

I don't give myself official cheat days. Some days I have skipped tracking my food, but basically because it would be a nightmare to try and track. Usually on these days, I'll still track part of my food for the day so I have an idea where I'm at for dinner etc. If I'm not tracking on a certain day, I am still really conscious about my portion sizes and still try to add healthy food options throughout the day.

I count calories, so there are times when I work in the treats and I don't have that need to be bad and take a day off. In fact, when I take a day off of tracking I always worry that, that will be the day that totally derails me. Lucky for me it hasn't!

Good luck on ditching the cheat day!
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #11  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Could be if you just started weightloss efforts last year and you were heavier than you are now, then that's the reasoning behind losing faster before.
I keep bracing myself for the slow down, I know the more I lose, it will happen. And being at your current weight, seems like your pace is pretty good!

That said, I do have a 'cheat' day... more of a high calorie day once a week, but I make up for it by having a low calorie day at the end of the week... so may have a 2200 calorie day, but then counter it with a 800 calorie day. So my weekly calories come to about 1400/1500 daily, but I cycle them around a bit.
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

Everyone has to figure out their own process, but I don't really think having a day where I ingest more calories as cheating. I just think of it as part of life. In order to see my change in diet as permanent, it helps not to use shaming or rewarding language when I eat something I just want.

I try to just have one meal like that a week. I wouldn't try for an entire day. If I know I am going to a party or out to dinner, I try to balance it with lower calorie meals for the rest of the day. I still make sure not to go totally overboard at the extra calorie meal. I have a rule that I can have a glass of wine or share a dessert but not both and I still want to balance the plate. Honestly at this point, I can't really take in too many super high calorie foods at once like I used to.

PS I also think 901 calories burned was probably way overestimated. Exercise really doesn't burn as many calories as we think.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

A couple of things here that I agree with the others.

1) You probably don't burn as many calories as you think. Exercise is great for overall health and toning and cardiovascular ability, but it's not really a good way to burn off the fries you ate last night.

2) A cheat day can work, but I think it's really cheat "meals" that are probably better for controlling overall calorie intake. I can eat a lot of calories during a whole cheat day that offset the calories I didn't eat all week long.

3) I don't have scientific proof of this -- others may know the studies -- but I keep reading about how our bodies don't respond well after repeated attempts at dieting. You may have lost the weight easier and faster the first time you were on the diet last year, but your body is now smarter than it was last year and it's on to you -- it knows you're trying to restrict food so it loses weight and it will actively fight you. This worked well back when we had famines (your genes obviously survived) so, this time around it's going to try to make it harder on you. Bodies are smart, sometimes too smart. This means that a cheat "day" may not work for you. You may need to restrict it to a cheat "meal" instead.

Good luck.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I think having a higher number of calories once in a while is NOT a dealbreaker. It is a part of life. It's going to happen, so you have to figure out how to accommodate it.

But... I wondered.. if.. maybe.. instead of a "cheat day".. you could choose something else once a week. Some sort of treat. Maybe a new fingernail polish? Maybe an hour of downtime where you read or sleep in late or stay in your nightgown for an extra hour without any guilt? Or maybe a manicure. Or a new new pair of bra and panties that you love and feel pretty in.

I dunno. I'm trying the tiny reward thing. I'm not rich. I do have to watch every penny that I spend. But, every week that I lose, I look for something that I love. I will only pay for something if I truly love it. Otherwise, I give myself a free treat. Today, I weighed in, lost a pound and went back to sleep for an hour. It was pure luxury and something I rarely allow myself today. Today it was bliss and I truly appreciate it.

Anyway... this is about you... don't know if it would work for you.. but.. thought I'd put it out there..

Best wishes...

Last edited by beth4365; 05-27-2012 at 12:10 PM.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #15  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
Seagirl, you bring up a really good point. I do allow myself treats during the week, so why do I really need a cheat day? I have the cheat day because I do view it as a reward and a day to take a break from my routine, but I reward myself throughout the week as well. I think you're right. I do need to look into something else other than food as a reward since it's causing a problem.
Yep, I found myself doing the same thing earlier this year and getting frustrated about my lack of weight loss! If you have treats throughout the week I think there's no need for a "cheat day". After thinking about it, it does make more sense to allow yourself a scoop of frozen yogurt or some tortilla chips and guac everyday versus a whole day of binging. Spread your calories out and your body will be happier and your mood better.

Also, some ideas for non-food rewards:
pedicure/manicure
a visit to a local dog park (even if you don't own a dog, go anyways cause dogs are always happy to see you, and they usually have good areas for hiking and jogging)
new clothes (get a cheap dress from Target)
Girl's night out!
girl's night in...with cheesy movies
Visit a non-restautant place you've always wanted to see but never have, like a museum or library
Throw yourself a party to celebrate your successes
Drive in movies! You get to bring your own snacks too
Do a home repair or cleaning project you have been putting off (this isn't a huge reward but you'll feel better afterwards!)

Keep up the fight lady!
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote