General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Motivation

Not sure if this is the right place, so forgive me if I am wrong!

But, what motivated you to get in shape or lose weight or just change your eating habits?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I did myself. (with a little bit of help from my favorite singer, Crystal Bowersox. She has type 1 diabetes and I have borderline) I didn't want to end up with Diabetes If I could help it. She cant help that she got hers. And I dont think it's fair that I can help it but was to lazy to do anything about it, whereas she has to spend the rest of her life with hers.

I just couldn't do it anymore.. Needed a change to be more healthy.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/143/130

I'm moving 8 hours away from my home in about 4 months by myself. I'm a very shy person in the first place so I figured that if I made myself feel more confident in my physical appearance, it would make it easier for me to communicate with other people, at least a little bit.

Secondly, my extended family members insinuate that I'm fat and whatnot and should diet, etc. etc. etc. It's worse that they hint at it constantly instead of straight up saying it. It makes me feel terrible.
Elsewhere is Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #4  
You're my fantasy.

I don't know how many times I've started to change my eating habits, swearing to do better this time...and 2 days later just imploding, and going back to the poor habits that got me so unhealthy and with 100 pounds to lose.

And I can't pinpoint what it was that made me start this time and stick with it for 5 weeks, with my motivation getting stronger every day.

Maybe because my sister started the same day I did (we live in different states and didn't know we both made the same decision), and now I have her to talk to about it.

Maybe because I can't stand being this fat and uncomfortable, unhealthy and unfit.

Maybe because I do have a healthy body and got tired of the food being in control.

Maybe because I remember what it's like to wear nice clothes, look good, feel good.

Whatever happened, I'm glad it did. And even though I have moments of seeing how very far I have to go, and thinking that maybe I just can't do it, this time I really feel like it will work.
stillmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #5  

Being the Ugly friend, not getting guys and not being able to wear nice clothes. They are my only two motivations to get in shape
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

No one thing motivated me. I don't really know how to explain the cumulative things that lead me to this point, because there are so many different strands, some of them stretching back so many years. Let's see if I can condense...

I hated myself, for a very long time. And now I don't.

When I was very very small, the man next door was overly fond of small children, if you catch my drift. In school I was the bullies' wet dream - fat, clever, bespectacled and ginger. These things seem so small when condensed into two sentences, but they've informed the person I've grown up to be. Bullied meant I viewed myself as inferior, and abused meant I viewed myself as broken. With a mindset like that, there was no way I could commit to weight loss.

It took a long time before I was even able to admit I needed help - admitting that meant letting down some of the defensive walls I'd built around myself, and I was very reluctant to do that, because every time I'd tried it, people had hurt me, badly. But eventually I accepted my mental state wasn't working and wasn't maintainable, and I needed help, and after a few false starts I found an excellent counsellor. With her help I sorted myself out sufficiently that, when the boyfriend made his existence known to me, I was able to not just start a relationship with him but also to maintain it. Without the counsellor, the boyfriend wouldn't have worked, and he's built on the groundwork she laid in my mental state, as it were. The two of them together got me to a place where I finally felt, and still do feel, mentally healthy. For the first time in my life, I'm actually doing okay. The world is sunny, and I have a place in it, and all the rest of that optimistic claptrap.

That's when I was able to start the weight loss journey. The work on my head had to happen first. And then, when my head was doing better, someone put an unflattering photo on facebook, and I caught sight of my bum in a mirror, and I realised that, with the boyfriend and I planning to have kids soon (two weeks off the pill and no joy yet, alas), I needed to get in shape, to help ensure a healthy pregnancy.

That was long and rambly, wasn't it?
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #7  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

First I got engaged, figured I'd need to wear a wedding gown, but I didn't think I was that bad.
Later, I saw a picture of me, and thought it was a bad angle, and then noticed all the other ones were the same. But that still didn't phase me.
What did it though, was my older sister.

She just blatantly told me " no one wants to tell you, but you've gotten really fat. hate me all you want, but you need to stop before you go too far."

I hated her for weeks... WEEKS!!!!! Even more so because she wasn't "skinny" herself.

But it turns out, my entire family had spoken about it and were concerned for me, and she was the one that had the balls to say something.

She told me last week, how proud she was of me, and that she would re-do that ENTIRE conversation alll over again. And would risk me hating her again, just because she knew it would allow me to kick my own a$$

I love her everyday for that.

Now she wants me to help her!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

I just graduated high school and its time for a change. I current live in a very small town but will be moving to a big city where my university is soon. I have gone my entire life being the fat, nerdy girl. Never had a boyfriend. Had crushing self-esteem issues until my junior year in high school where I just sort of stopped caring.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I figured since moving to a big city is a chance for a new beginning, I wanted to lose some weight and just all around better myself.
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #9  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

My then 4 yr old told me, "Mommy, you're kind of fat." It hurt bc it was the truth. I knew it. I just didn't know where to start. That and I am so sick of shopping at one or two stores bc they are the only that carried my size. I'm now between plus and misses. Working out has completely changed my body even if the scale doesn't always show all my progress
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #10  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcanary View Post
Being the Ugly friend, not getting guys and not being able to wear nice clothes. They are my only two motivations to get in shape
You must be hanging out with supermodels, because girl, you are beautiful. Give yourself a break.

My motivation was a wedding. A friend unexpectedly asked me to be her maid of honor. Trying on bridesmaid dresses made me cry. I was wearing size 20-22 jeans at the time, and the shop said I needed a size 28 dress plus alterations to make it drape properly over my big upper belly. Well I ordered that d**m size 28 dress, but by the the wedding I was down 50 pounds, and they had to take about 4 inches of fabric OUT of that dress!

Something snapped or clicked in me this time, and I've made a commitment to myself to get to my goal and get healthy. This is the longest I've ever stuck with a diet, and I'm not quitting.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #11  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

My motivation this time around was my diabetes scare back in April. I started getting really thirsty, peeing every 45 minutes, and I was freaking out.

Got tested and was told I was a-okay, but I was so freaked by the idea that I could be diabetic at the age of 19.

When I got home from college a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to change something because I had control over my body.
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

For me: I love to bike and my gut gets in the way. And I love to rock climb, and it will be easier if I weigh less. Those things keep me motivated.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

I had gotten to the point where I was almost the same as my perceived-as-horrendous "before" weight and thought "man I gotta do something about this."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

This isn't my first time on a weight loss journey (regained in the past) but my reasons are different.
1. I have a daughter now, and I desperately want to be a good role model for her, and don't want her to end up like me.
2. Because of my daughter, I have more motivation to be healthy in general, so I can watch her grow up and get married and have kids of her own.
3. I want to have another baby, but don't want to be obese and pregnant like I was the first time.
4. I am so tired of being fat. So very, very tired of it. I don't care if it takes years to lose the 75lbs I want to lose, they are coming off and staying off.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I was really tired of being fat. I was really tired of having an entire wardrobe that barely fit anymore. I wanted to be a good role model for my boyfriend who has an unhealthy relationship with food. I wanted to be a runner.

I didn't want to have to worry about my weight when it comes time to get married and have a baby. Don't want to worry about fitting into a dress at all. Also don't want to have to get alterations because of weight loss. I want to have the cute pregnant belly. Not the belly that people can't tell is carrying a child.

My absolute last straw was a really, really awful picture of me on Halloween. I looked and felt like my skin was going to burst at the seams.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote