Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #1  

Question epidural for pain control

Hey, I haven't been posting much. I've been so busy with work and all! Sorry.

Anyway, I have been lurking. I have surgery on April 2 and I can't decide if I want to try the epidural or just go for the demerol pump. What do you ladies think? What did you all use?

Thanks
Patty
Old 03-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Hey Patty! April 2nd will be here before you know it!

I had a morphine pump........my best friend!!

I don't know which is better. Does your surgeon let you choose?
Old 03-23-2003, 01:58 PM   #3  

He encourages us to try the epidural at least. If we are against it, then he will let us choose. I think he uses a Demerol pump, though. Did you have pain immediately after surgery with your pca?

Thanks,
Patty
Old 03-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

i liked my pump... i woke up with it. the recovery room nurse, a very cute young boy, made sure i knew how to use it and checked to make sure i WAS using it...

and of course it hurt. this is not painless. but pain reduced. VERY reduced
Old 03-24-2003, 08:26 AM   #5  

I had my surgery on 3/12. The anesthesiologist recommended the epidural, but I chose not to use it. I went with the PCA pump instead. It worked great. Every 6 minutes that button could be pushed. I found that I used it alot early on, but the last few days in the hospital used very rarely.

My only problem was the excrutiating pain from gas. OMG........

I would suggest trying to go without the epidural, If the pain is too great, they can always put one in later.

Lorrie
Old 03-24-2003, 03:42 PM   #6  

I had the epidural and then morphine in my IV whenever I needed it. Quite honestly, with the epidural, I didn't need alot of morphine and thank goodness I didn't as it made my whole ITCH horribly!!! The epidural was great, just make sure they take it out WELL before they take out any cathether you might have. They took mine out AFTER the took out the catheter and my dang bladder didn't wake up for about 10 hours. I ended up having to be REcathed because I was in excruciating PAIN cuz I hadda go potty and couldn't!!! LOL Other than that, I say go for it, I really think it helps.
Closed Thread