Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #1  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Question Having Problems

Hello,
My name is Ashley. I'm having some problems staying on track with my diet. Right now I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution program. I'm trying to eat healthy. I'll be good for a few days then get off track. Its like I can't keep myself motivated in that department. I can do my wrkouts without any problems. Its just the diet part. I'm tryin to do 1200 cals a day since thats what the program is. I don't know if that would be to low for me. I'm 5'7 about 170 lbs. I'm on TOM right now so I know I may weigh more then that. Not to mention cuz of TOM my eating has been really wack. Can anybody help me? I don't know how to stay motivated or if 1200 cals is to low for me? If any of you can help me out I would really appreciate it.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

1200 is pretty low- especially for someone your height and who is active! I personally like to calorie-cycle, so I have a few 1200 calorie days, maybe some 1500 and then a 1800-2000 day. That way, when I'm feeling unmotivated, I can remember that either 1. I get to eat a little extra food that day, or 2. I'll get to eat a little more tomorrow. It also helps me to be able to plan around birthdays or parties or whatever. I just make that my "high" day. But I'd for sure allow more than 1200 a day- its no wonder you lose motivation eating so little!!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #3  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Hey I think it's pretty low too! If you're having a lot of trouble sticking to it you should try upping your calories a bit otherwise I think you're definitely setting yourself up for a binge. Maybe try 1500 and see how that goes. Also yeah TOM will often make you hungrier.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'd have to agree with others—1200 calories might just be too low for you. Try going a little higher and seeing how you feel.

Also, what are you eating? If you are eating certain kinds of foods it is possible to stay satiated on a 1200 calorie diet.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #5  
It is what it is...

1200 is too low...you have no where to go from there if you plateau and need to drop cals...I usually start out around 1600 and drop by 50 each time my weight loss starts to stall ...good luck

Carri
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #6  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

For me at your weight 1200 calories would be a lot. However, I am 50, not all that active, and have dieted off and on most of my adult life. The reason I'm mentioning myself is to say that everyone is different. It is confusing to know how many calories to drop.

Supposedly...
Dropping or burning off 500 calories a day from what your normal calories/day are should equal a pound a week of weight loss.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #7  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I'd have to agree with others—1200 calories might just be too low for you. Try going a little higher and seeing how you feel.

Also, what are you eating? If you are eating certain kinds of foods it is possible to stay satiated on a 1200 calorie diet.
I usually have organic cereal and a apple for breakfast or I have oatmeal. Lunch turkey burger or maybe a sandwich with some sort of veggie. Then I'll have a snack before or after I workout. Then dinner I usually work so I'll have something off of the Weight Watcher menu of Under 550 cals. I work at applebees so there isn't alot to chose from over there. My friend said I could get a plain chicken breast and some veggies.

When Jillian was doin a chat on facebook awhile ago I asked her the same question about how many calories should I be eating. She said for someone like me I should be on 1200 cals but eat a lot of veggies cuz they are filled with fiber and that'll keep me satisfied.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Sorry but I have a strong feeling that Jillian just gave you a generic answer without actually plugging in your stats along with exercise...

I'd check this website out to get your calorie intake estimate.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfan317 View Post
I usually have organic cereal and a apple for breakfast or I have oatmeal. Lunch turkey burger or maybe a sandwich with some sort of veggie. Then I'll have a snack before or after I workout. Then dinner I usually work so I'll have something off of the Weight Watcher menu of Under 550 cals. I work at applebees so there isn't alot to chose from over there. My friend said I could get a plain chicken breast and some veggies.

When Jillian was doin a chat on facebook awhile ago I asked her the same question about how many calories should I be eating. She said for someone like me I should be on 1200 cals but eat a lot of veggies cuz they are filled with fiber and that'll keep me satisfied.
If you're working out and you're 5'7" you DEFINITELY can eat more than 1200 calories, so don't worry about that

If you do want to stay full on lower calories though you might want to get a bit more protein in. Say for breakfast you have an egg prepared a certain way. The chicken and veggies suggestion is great and is always my favorite go-to meal.

Can you bring your own dinner instead of eating what is at work? I know it might cost more, but at least you'll have a bit more control over the calorie count. That might allow you to distribute your calories a bit more evenly.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #10  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
If you're working out and you're 5'7" you DEFINITELY can eat more than 1200 calories, so don't worry about that

If you do want to stay full on lower calories though you might want to get a bit more protein in. Say for breakfast you have an egg prepared a certain way. The chicken and veggies suggestion is great and is always my favorite go-to meal.

Can you bring your own dinner instead of eating what is at work? I know it might cost more, but at least you'll have a bit more control over the calorie count. That might allow you to distribute your calories a bit more evenly.
Yeah I can bring something with me to work and store it in the fridge. I don't eat my dinner past 9 pm. If I don't bring dinner I will most likely go with the chicken and veggies suggestion. I should definately be eating more eggs cuz I really don't do that but that would work since I don't really eat alot of protein thoughout the day. That could also be why I'm not gettin full either. I would like to stay full on lower calories. Maybe I will try to have a protein at each meal. I workout in the morning.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

If your hunger is sabotaging your weight loss efforts then it's time to reconsider your calorie amount. What is the point of starving at 1200 if the next day you make up for it and then more because you are hungry? You need to figure out what calorie level will work for your weight loss goals so that you can lose and not be so hungry. If it truly is hunger and not boredom, your body is likely trying to tell you something. Eating whole foods helps a lot, as well as including plenty of protein in your diet. Some days I find I'm just hungrier, and I do allow myself more calories on those days. Rarely do I ever eat the same amount of calories a few days in a row. Maybe cycling your calories a bit might help? I am tall, so I usually eat anywhere from 1300 to 1800, with occasional days of 2000 and less than 1300, just depending on how I feel and what exercise or activity I'm doing that day.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #12  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
If your hunger is sabotaging your weight loss efforts then it's time to reconsider your calorie amount. What is the point of starving at 1200 if the next day you make up for it and then more because you are hungry? You need to figure out what calorie level will work for your weight loss goals so that you can lose and not be so hungry. If it truly is hunger and not boredom, your body is likely trying to tell you something. Eating whole foods helps a lot, as well as including plenty of protein in your diet. Some days I find I'm just hungrier, and I do allow myself more calories on those days. Rarely do I ever eat the same amount of calories a few days in a row. Maybe cycling your calories a bit might help? I am tall, so I usually eat anywhere from 1300 to 1800, with occasional days of 2000 and less than 1300, just depending on how I feel and what exercise or activity I'm doing that day.
I want to try cycling my calories. I don't know cals I should be altering with? Is there a good website Or should I try 1200-1800 cals and cycle with that?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 243/233/175

Height: 5'6"

If I tried to survive on 1200 a day, the Husband couldn't live with me I definitely think you could do with more calories! I would probably cycle between 1400-1900 if I were you, but that's just me!
RollTideRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #14  
Ashley

It'll be 1200-1800 but how do i set that up?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #15  
Warrior Princess

Use myfitnesspal.com to help you track calories. Enter EVERYTHING you put in your mouth and all of your exercise/calories burned. That site is a great tool.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote