Old 05-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #1  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Regular Blender or Magic Bullet?

So my blender officially died, or is dying, it can't crush ice, can barely blend tomatoes, so it's time to retire it. I'm debating between purchasing another "standard" blender that's just not 15 years old, or getting one of those magic bullet things. It'd be just for my snacks and drinks and stuff, when I make dinner at night it's usually still whole food...thoughts?
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypix View Post
So my blender officially died, or is dying, it can't crush ice, can barely blend tomatoes, so it's time to retire it. I'm debating between purchasing another "standard" blender that's just not 15 years old, or getting one of those magic bullet things. It'd be just for my snacks and drinks and stuff, when I make dinner at night it's usually still whole food...thoughts?
Do not like my magic bullet. Does not do good job with ice, but some folks on here love it. Just bought Ninja Professional 1100 and love it. Makes great snow for snacking with SF torani syrup or for blended drinks. The smallest cup with it is 40 oz, but there are other versions with smaller cups.
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
I have a regular blender, but I love my magic bullet and use it all the time for my IP foods. I mostly use it to make my shakes and it does a great job chopping all of the ice cubes.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I had an old blender that served most of my needs in my pre-IP days. It didn't crush ice, and once I got on this protocol I wanted something that did. I ended up getting a Ninja Master Prep Food Processor, and a Hamilton Beach Individual Serving Blender. Love them both and use them both frequently these days. Certainly solved my 'ice crushing' problem.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use my personal blender a lot more than my regular blender. I've heard a lot of people complain about the Magic Bullets (with problems I've never had with my similar blender) so I went on amazon.com and read the reviews of the Magic Bullet and similar blenders including mine (the Sonoma Kucina Rocket Blender, which I believe is a model that is discontinued - or maybe just discontinued from QVC - my mother bought it for me as a birthday gift).

From what I have heard and read, the Magic Bullet has only a 200 watt motor (if I'm remembering correctly), and some of the reviews of people who had both the Magic Bullet and other personal blenders recommended buying one with at motor of at least 300 watt.

Mine has only 250 watts but does most of what I need it to do, but it does not crush ice as finely as I'd like, so when I buy a new one, I'm going to look for one with a stronger motor. I've seen some with 350 watt motors, so that's what I'll be looking for.

I do love mine as is though, and I use it for all sorts of things. For crushing ice (making snow cones) I have an electric ice shaver that I bought at Target (can't remember the brand).

The personal blender I have (with the 250 watt motor) does do a great job with frozen fruit though (I often make sorbet with frozen strawberries and just a little bit of sugar free Sprite or lemonade or even water in a pinch).

I've also made "ice cream" out of frozen bananas and other fruit like the "yonana" machine is supposed to do.

I love that the personal blenders are so easy to clean. I clean the blade by hand rather than put it in the dishwasher (because I often use it several times a day, and was tired of wating for the dishwasher).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

I have had a number of Magic Bullets and loved them all but they do wear out after long use. Plus the last one I purchased had a bit of a problem in that I could not get the cup to lock on the machine. It was just a little off.

That said, I still have loved as stated the ones I have used. They do a great job and fit my needs but now I have a nice regular blender, which I don't like as well but it works okay.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/170/170

Height: 5' 6"

I have a Ninja blender that works great on ice.
amyjaelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #8  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5'4"

Have a ninja that has a pitcher but also 4 tumblers. The bottom screws right onto these and they are so much easier to clean. LOVE it. It crushes ice in seconds and liquifies fruit. Use 1/2 ice and 1/2 water with the wildberry yogurt smoothie and it makes it like soft serve ice cream. It was moderately priced. I got it at BJ's for something like $60.00. Highly recommend.
artflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for asking this I was wondering about blenders. I have one of the personal ones (I forget the name) that is a travel cup and blender in one. I haven't used it yet for shakes but I was about to try it. But since I don't want to kill it I'll try the Ninja. I have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon that is burning a hole in my pocket to use

And artflunky, thanks for the ice cream tip, I'll have to try that as well!
sprite613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #10  
Started IP 5-1-15

S/C/G: 210/196/160

Height: 5'5

My Magic bullet does not do ice well and smells like the motor is burning if I run it more than 20 seconds with ice. Im looking into a regular blender for home and can take the bullet to work just for shakes without ice. GOOD LUCK!!
Sammi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

Quote:
I did not love the Magic Bullet. When our blender died I tried using just the Bullet and ended up going and buying a blender. I got the Ninja at Walmart and LOVE it!
Meadow Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

I bought a Montel Williams HealthMaster about a year ag, its great, crushes ice in a few seconds, makes spinach smoothies in a flash too.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #13  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much for all the input! Of course when I went impulse shopping at JCPenney last night I hadn't read the responses yet :S but I just picked up a knock off brand (cooks) of the bullet, only ran me $22 so if it dies in a month I won't be all upset, just REALLY wanted to try making the crushed ice/packet/coffee cappuccino mix thing. My little guy did a great job with it, although I admit I smashed the ice first in a zip lock bag with a meat tenderizer mallet (great way to work out some frustrations ) because the "grinder" attachment didn't like my full size cubes. Once they were smaller though, 10 seconds and bam! Snow! I know snow is made from water/ice, but never in my life had i made true, packable, make a snowball snow. I won't lie, I am now tempted to make snow balls to throw for the dogs... I'll seriously consider that Ninja when this little guy dies or I need a little more "oomph" or need to make more than one at a time. Thankfully DH isn't into the protein drinks yet, but I'm thinking once he tastes this one and then I modify it for cinnamon like he enjoys...I could be in trouble! lol. I like my drink still foamy, feels really decadent, once it seems to settle it's more "eh" not as exciting or treat-feeling.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote