General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Default My relationship with my mom...

I just need a place to put this all in writing as the situation is upsetting me while I'm at work...

My mom's had a habit of keeping my children one night a week maybe every other weekend or so at her prompting, not mine. We'll drop them off about 7 in the evening and get them around 8-9 the next morning. We have been extremely grateful to have this time to ourselves, understanding many parents don't have this luxury. More and more lately, she hasn't been able to keep them. It's been bothering me but I couldn't figure out why and I didn't put much thought into it. DH and I don't really do much on our nights without the kids so it's not like it makes a huge difference when she doesn't keep them.

Today I realized she will rearrange her life and social commitments to play golf or help almost strangers in her church or any member of her church really. I'm happy she has a hobby she loves and feels needed by her church community. But, this has caused her to set aside her family. We live five minutes away from each other and she'll see the kids maybe twice a month. She used to go shopping or our to lunch with me a few times a month but that's come to a stop as well. I only see her when I drop off the kids if they're staying at her house.

I just feel cast aside or replaced but guilty and selfish for thinking it at the same time. Maybe this is a natural part of when an adult becomes semi-retired? I don't really know what to feel as I don't want her to stop doing anything that makes her happy and would never even consider asking her to but at the same time I wish my kids and I even registered on her list of importance. I don't mean to make her seem like a bad person either, I guess I just needed a neutral place to vent and get it all out.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it is wonderful that your Mom as activities that she can enjoy . She has earned the right to enjoy retirement. Don't forget some parents are not healthy enough or have the means to enjoy retirement. How many years did she spend taking care of babies, staying up at night when they were ill, making sure they were fed and clothed ? I am talking about her children , not yours. I am sure she enjoys her grandchildren but she should be able to do as she wants at this time of her life.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #3  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

Honestly, it's not her job to watch your children. I wish my mother lived close enough to see, but she lives 12 000 miles away. So I think you should consider yourself blessed you have your mother close by at all.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

It's not that she's not watching my children, I've told her if we had something to do we could pay for a babysitter, which she's balked at. As I stated, I am extremely grateful she's offered. It's more that it seems makes golf and everyone a priority over even seeing her family, even for a prepared lunch at our house. Not keeping my children was just what got me thinking about the deeper issues.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 05-11-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
It's not that she's not watching my children, I've told her if we had something to do we could pay for a babysitter, which she's balked at. As I stated, I am extremely grateful she's offered. It's more that it seems makes golf and everyone a priority over even seeing her family, even for a prepared lunch at our house. Not keeping my children was just what got me thinking about the deeper issues.
Have you sat down with her and openly expressed your feelings? If not I suggest doing so.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If she enjoys golf, good for her. Some people at her age cannot walk around a golf course. I think it is great that you have such a healthy, vibrant Mom. I am sure she still loves her family but she has earned the right to do as she pleases.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #7  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Muffintop I can relate. My mom retired and got married at the same time! One of my very best girlfriends was now unavailable most of the time I wanted to play/shop/meet for lunch/whatever. It's REALLY hard when somebody changes the rules in the middle of the game. I felt cast aside too, and she spent way less time with my daughters (her only grandkids) than ever before.

It's been almost 15 years and while I'm very grateful she's enjoying her life there are still days I wish there was a little more room for me in it. I miss the way things used to be.

I have no words of wisdom for you, only the acknowledgement that you're not alone in feeling this way.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

I do feel for you. I see how you have said you haven't been the one to ask...she even balked when you said you'd pay for a babysitter. I see your not mad at her, I get it.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I think it's great that your mom has a life! Maybe you should talk to her as I am sure she is not doing things to be mean or exclude but rather to have a life and do stuff for her. For soooo many years I have put my kids/husband/grandkids before myself I never really had a life and now it is my time to live. I am putting myself first and thinking about me! Why shouldn't parents have a life after their kids are grown and gone? There's no law that says grandparents HAVE to watch their kids or see them weekly or monthly. Shoot, some only see their grandkids at holidays and birthdays.

My DIL from day one has expected me to be at her beck and call to do for her and the kids when she wants, of course she found out it doesn't work that way, not with me. I do watch my grandbaby while she works and like today I went to my older granddaughters Field Day at school-sister to the grandbaby I watch-and I see my kids a few times a week, sometimes only a few times a month...it depends on what I am doing and if I am not busy. They know where I am and I know where they are so...

I would definitely suggest talking to your mother about this, I am sure she is not trying to hurt your feelings or exclude you.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #10  
Warrior Princess

Don't feel bad my Mother is gone and my Father lives one floor above me in the same building and has very little to do with me because his wife hates me.

Just have a talk with her in regards to how you feel but I'm sure she's just enjoying her retirement, don't take it personal.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #11  

It's wonderful that your mom has hobbies, but at the same time I see nothing wrong in you telling her you'd like to spend some time together. Why don't you take the initiative and invite her out for a cup of tea, or just a walk in the park? Nothing wrong can come out of that. Your relationship with your mother is extremely important, so it's important to tell her that while you're happy that she's living her life and doing things she truly enjoys, you'd love to see her more often.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/256.8/145

I think that you ARE on her list of important people. But you have a life of your own, and I think she is just trying to explore her options to find a fulfilling life of her own so you doesn't have to live vicariously through you lol

Sit down and talk with her. Tell her you miss her and you wished that you could spend more time with her. That may be all it takes to get back into her loop of social activities. She may not even realize that you are feeling this way. I always recommend airing out feelings instead of bottling them up or waiting to see how things play out. Life is short. You miss your mom. So, spend time with her!

Good luck
Old 05-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #13  
ugggg.....

My mother put her life into work and raising two kids with a deadbeat dad, when she retired, she started filling her days. When my grandson was born, she actually took her off day to watch him one day a week.

I think its great your Mom has a life, and that she takes time to keep your kids one night a week. I agree with the other posters, talk to her, arrange to have a lunch with her once a week or once every two weeks.

I lost my Mom to cancer and I miss her every day, dont let your hurt feelings keep you from enjoying whatever time you have with her.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #14  
Jez

Do you offer to treat her to lunch (without the kids)? Make sure she knows you want to spend time with HER, not just use her for babysitting? I agree with those who say she did her time with regards to putting herself second. Just make it clear you want a relationship with her, not just for what she can provide.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #15  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Do you offer to treat her to lunch (without the kids)? Make sure she knows you want to spend time with HER, not just use her for babysitting? I agree with those who say she did her time with regards to putting herself second. Just make it clear you want a relationship with her, not just for what she can provide.
I think that is a very valid point to make Jez. When we get older it is a very often felt thing that baby sittong is "convenient" thing for us to do.
I am unable to do very much myself with all my ailments but I am sure I wouldn't want to fall into a convenient babysitter

Fact is ..as I am aware that that is not your problem XLMuffintop, as has been suggested, a good heart to heart chat would be the best thing.
Hope all goes well.
Closed Thread