Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #1  
Peace with body and soul

Default Can We Talk Food?

Ok I've never been a fan of rice..white rice that is and because of that dislike I've never tried any other kind of rice.

Now I think I need to branch out and try some of the other kinds..

Please give me your expert advice on what to choose and how best to prepare it and seasonings to use.

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #2  
cac

I never could cook rice until I got I rice cooker. No matter what type of rice I use - white, long short, brown, wild- it comes out perfect. I would highly recommend purchasing one.

cc
Old 03-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #3  
Hot Sauce!

Default Wild Rice!

Is my absolute fav! I get it in bulk from the health food store, cook it up with 2 cups of water per 1 cup of dry rice. I usually eat it with avocado mashed into it and topped with pollock and veggies. I also like it plain. Brown rice is ok, a little plainer than wild rice.
Jamie
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I use brown rice 2 c of water to 1 c of dry rice, like Jamie... I add a bit of olive oil, it it not to stick, bit o' salt... I've made it with chicken broth instead of water... that's really yummy.... I've added red pepper flakes while it's cooking for a bit of a bite... I also add some tomatoe sauce to my rice and cottage cheese that melts on it... My son once commented that it smelled like a lasagna...BUT he never took a bite
Old 03-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #5  
Peace with body and soul

I stopped at the store tonite and priced wild rice..'gulp' they wanted like 5 bucks for these tiny bags!!! what's up w/that??

Thanks for the help girls, I'm going to get a bag and give it a try.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:18 AM   #6  

I like the Trader Joe's brown basmati rice. I can mail you some the next time I get a bag if you don't have TJ near you.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Mindi-

Yes, wild rice is expensive. It's actually a grain cultivated in North America, not a rice, so it's not subject to the mass cultivation procedures of other rices.

I cook brown rice with chicken broth, gives it a nicer flavour.
Both of these rices take a while to cook, so I will do up a bit pot of brown rice, and a little pot of wild rice, then freeze them in little containers of about a serving of brown rice with a few tablespoons of wild rice on top.

You can grab that, plus a protein (chicken breast, hamburger patty, can of tuna) and you're set to roll for an away meal.

BethO
Old 03-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #8  
Hot Sauce!

Default Mindi

That is why I buy it in bulk at my health food store. Much cheaper. I refuse to buy any rice from the grocery store because it is too much $$$. Wild rice is more expensive, but if I am low on money I will just go with brown rice. Personally I eat either and a little change-up is good!
Jamie
Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #9  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

Trader Joe's has a few rice blends. Very tasty, and I like em cause with the high fiber content I get more rice for my points. <g>. Also less $$ than the health food store. I also found something called "royal" at the local associated. Not sure if it is a store brand or not. Anyhow, it's a mix of brown rice, wild rice and red rice.

I find I have to keep a close eye on the rice or I end up with "crunchy rice". Sometimes I'll add Trader Joe's Soy Sauce while it's cooking, or I'll add another marinade. If I'm also stir-frying veggies, I'll add the rice to the veggies as both are almost finished so the rice picks up the flavor of the stirfry.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:10 AM   #10  
Peace with body and soul

Thanks Ladies!

Laura you're a sweetie. :O) No there's no Trader's here but I can get some from the market. Thanks!

I'll try the broth idea as well. I'm going to cook this weekend and rice is on the agenda.
Closed Thread