PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2012 May PCOS Support Thread

Let's hear it for those here in May!

Let's round up! (The old April 2012 thread is here. )

Who is here this month?
How are you?
How was last month?
How is your PCOS management last month?
What are you going to work on in May?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-01-2012 at 12:21 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #2  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Who is here this month?

I am..
How are you?
Im feeling better now that i found a new doctor! but Ive been feeling pretty happy lately!

How was last month?

It was the worst month in the world.. awful.. awful awful

It was good in the beginning but then well awful

Everything! I have new meds and a new outlook on this whole thing! Im going to try really hard this month..
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

2phatinvictoria: Glad you are feeling happier and doing better with the new doc! Sounds like despite a rough April you are all set for May!

Here is me....

Who is here this month? Astrophe, rhymes with catastrophe. But I'm not catastrophic.

How are you?

GREAT! Just got home from a women's retreat and I feel woooonderful! It was nice to get away for the long weekend and just hang out with other women. It wasn't so much what we did -- drumming, arts and crafts. The stuff was pretty "summer camp" type stuff. Just in a weekend rather than several weeks.

It was the getting away from my obligations at home and not being in charge of ANYTHING - not even making dinner. A friend came with me and we had some nice talks to deepen our friendship as well as meeting new people. That was fun.

How was last month?

Interesting. I see from the old thread that somethings are just taking me longer. Which is fine. But then other things happened I didn't expect.

DH is carrying on with his Chantix and it is helping him with his no more smoking deal.

My parents are stable still, but Dad's starting to skip classes. So there's a small concern for me there but I've already warned Mom that I take a firm hand with Dad and she needs too also. Otherwise he finds ways to squiggle out of his things! We'll see what happens in eldercare world.

Been talking more to my sister -- which is nice. She and I haven't had the greatest relationship in my late teens, 20's or early 30's. Now that I'm in late 30's cruising into 40's we're doing better.

How is your PCOS management last month? What are you going to work on in May?

I stopped BCP 2 packs ago. So this would be starting the 3rd month BCP free.

I'm still on the half pill of phentermine. It helps with the energy slump and weight loss is happening -- just slow. And I'm cool with it. Slow is moving! I'd been standstill so long slow is GREAT!

I changed the vitamin regime just a tiny bit. When I ran out of my Barleans EPA-DHA , I decided to give the Barlean's Woman a whirl. I'm liking it so far.

I had my labs, but I don't see the doc to review results til next week. I specifically asked for hormones to be checked on this lab since I've skipped 2 packs of BCP and I want to see where I'm at when it is "just me" and not masked by the BCP.

I was worried I'd feel crazy off BCP, but so far no crazies. (I have TERRIBLE moodiness off BCP so I am leery -- previous breaks from BCP have left me feeling nutty. )

Just the PCOS dry eye is back -- not moods-- which my endoc thinks is from allergies but I think it's the hormones. If you guys don't know that symptom be glad -- it's like velcro eyeballs to me! Eye drops help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21366130

Anyway, I've been fine on the Metformin XR. My first non BCP cycle came on time. I feel like I'm getting ready for the next one. Cravings are hitting, bloat, etc. That would also be mostly on time if it shows up this week. So hopefully those will keep me regular-ish and help bring down my testosterone. I plan to ask about spironolactone at the appt. So we'll see what we see. I'm still not sure I'm going to stay with her -- I'd like to shop around still.

Never got to dietitian, so that's on hold/in the works later.

The Acanthosis Nigricans on my ankle got scalier off BCP -- I'm not sure what is going on with it. I should take a new photo of it to compare later.

I'm sleeping great -- no probs knocking out, and sleeping solid til natural wake up at 7:30 AM. I'm dreaming again. I'm not sure what caused the change in sleep -- less stress from the parents? BCP change? Vitamin change? Phentermine helping me stay awake thru afternoon so I don't nap and mess up night sleep? Whatever did it -- I LIKE IT!

I lost my fitbit after the first week of April and it still hasn't shown up so I just ordered another. I feel silly doing that but neither do I want to put it off. It's garden time and since I'm not doing easy to measure things like treadmill, fitbit helps me track the activity level better with the steps. I've missed posting on the PCOS exercise thread -- it was keeping me going! It also pegs me pretty well for my AMR/food log needs so that matters to me too.

So I'm starting May feeling pretty good and ready to take it on again for another month. Look out PCOS!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-01-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #4  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Astrophe- what is a fitbit??
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

A fitbit is a fancy pedometer. www.fitbit.com

It does more than count steps -- can sense going up motion also (ex: stairs) and it can track hours asleep.

It doesn't yet sync with heart rate monitors though.

A.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

Who is here this month? I want to join, so I am here.

How are you? tired and frustrated. It's been a long 6 months.I was rearended and have had 3 surgeries in the past 5 months. The last was 3 weeks ago, to repair two ruptured discs. SO right now, I am on heavy restrictions, and I feel good and want to do more then the walking and stretching the surgeon is letting me do.

How was last month? Well just look at above, and you'll get the picture. lol

How is your PCOS management last month? Not very well. I need to get back on the diet path and the movement.

What are you going to work on in May? Increasing my walking distance. I signed up for a 5k in July, and the last week of May I can really start the training.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Who is here this month?

me

How are you?

exhausted. i was at work late last night issueing a 600 dollar credit to a customer's account and documenting it so the higher ups don't deny it. I just wanted to go home. Overall things are ok though.

How was last month?

busy. I started doing low carb two weeks ago and as of today I am down to 291 but it could just be fluctuation because it said 291 saturday on the scale and 294 yesterday. I probably weigh myself too much. Between my husband's rotting teeth and constant dental visits and our toddler's speech therapy and now needing tubes in his ears I was at some time of appointment every week. Then last week my husband had an abscess on his thigh and I spend a day at urgent care. This month is going to be the same I'm sure.

Really didn't do anything

I'm going to see my pcp this morning so that's a start. I haven't had a visit in 2 years due to going a year without insurance. I need to be on anti depressants for anxiety as well as managing my pcos so this is a start.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I will catch up with others later but my quickie share?

MY FITBIT CAME! I immediately labeled it with my phone number in case it gets lost out and about.

If it gets lost INSIDE my house I am doomed because I think the others are here but buried. Sigh.

But I'm back for tracking as soon as it charges. Yay! :Cheer:

A.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

I saw my primary care doctor wednesday. He is concerned by my weight gain. My blood pressure and pulse. They ran my blood for cholesterol, blood glucose and thyroid but it was normal. He put me back on metformin which I haven't taken in three years. He still feels I am insulin resistant. My stomach is not too thrilled with this but hopefully I will get used to it. I have to go in for a follow up in a month. My doctor's scale weighed me at 297. My home scale is bouncing between 291 and 295. So still not losing. He feels metformin will help. I'm counting calories and carbs and drinking tons of water. I just want something to work.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who is here this month?
I am, finally! I've been traveling!

How are you?
Tired from the traveling and stressed out about the upcoming month. I may not be here that much because it's really going to be crazy around the middle of May.

Dreading making any mistakes -- all work related stuff.

How was last month?

It was okay. Going low-gluten/gluten free is really the way to manage my weight. I just came back from a trip, which started off with all the right intentions, but did not end that way... sigh. It's so hard, you know?

Good. Measuring my blood sugar is a good "fear factor" to staying on track. That's how I was able to figure out that even small doses of white rice and bread aren't good for me. I can eat potatoes and sweet potatoes though with no problems.

Maintaining my weight. I don't think I'll have time to effectively bring it down, but with the tools (glucose monitor and no gluten) I think I can handle it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Kierra: Hang in there! You are going through a lot of health care stuff in the family. That's rough on the mom. I am glad you are also made time to see a PCP to care of YOU. Is the met the extended release? Sometimes changing to that helps and also eating with food. I'm fine on mine.

I've been where you are -- and in my case I've been a bit more aggressive about looking at other options, including finding new endoc. Mine is nice, but I'm still shopping because I think I'm at the end of her PCOS knowledge.

Rana: Welcome back from the travels! I hear you -- I got into a wheaty time again and coming back OUT is hard. In me it triggers a feedback loop of cravings for bready things and so on and it is VERY hard to break out.

My Check In:

Guess what? After all that, my feeling turned out right. Sigh. I get my new one set up and go to church and someone found my other fitbit there and I got it back. DH and I laughed -- missing for a month and here it comes back. I labeled them both with phone number this time and now I have the back up for when this one goes missing!

So I have been taking Phentermine half pills. Not daily like I am supposed to but just when I've been struggling with the crazy night urges to eat. (At first I was on full pills and I felt jittery so endoc cut me to half pills and I was finding when I eat clean I don't much need it so I started just taking it when the crazy hunger hits. I also quit BCP around there so I don't know how that plays into hunger issues.) But I see her for the follow up since starting phen and I'm down 13 lbs in a bit over 13 weeks since the last appointment. Go me! Pretty much -1 lb a week average. THAT IS HARD with PCOS!

I have my endoc appt Wed. I'd be really interested to see what the period hormones are at.

I feel like maybe stopping BCP helped with the hunger but now I have to deal with it NOT helping with the moods? Maybe not dealing with eldercare helped get me more sleep? Maybe the fitbit helped track my ACTUAL activity vs my mental activity. Like I run marathons in my head but body mostly sits? Stuff like that.

I'd be at the start of the 3rd pack I've missed and I cannot tell if it is because the stuff wore all off and the moody has come back or if I'm still fine and it's just a hard situation I had to deal with at work that ANY person, PCOS or not, would have found nutty.

I asked DH for feedback and he said he thinks I was right about work, I handled it ethically, but that it is affecting me deeper than it should and this is what worries him. I need to just own my piece and let others own theirs.

This reality check felt like the affirmation I was needing and my temperature dropped considerably and quickly and I was able to move into a different head space and not feel stuck in "tempest in a teapot" land.

This was a MAJOR breakthrough for DH. I have been begging him for YEARS to just be more assertive and firm with me when I feel in danger of hopping on the PCOS crazy train. The moodiness, you know? Emotional roller coaster. I also did not eat well during the stress, so the blood sugar roller coaster was also in effect.

Just take over and TELL me what to do -- stop, breathe, eat something, you did all you could now stop it with the teapot, etc. So I have aid in getting OFF both crazy trains. Don't be all timid and ask me what he should do to help. I'm feeling crazy trying to keep trains from crashing and you give me a third train? Directing YOU? *I* am the one needing direction!

So I chilled out and thanked him for his much sterner, firmer feedback and that I appreciated that a whole lot more than his usual approach. I wanted to say "Usually namby pamby" but I stopped myself from going there. The man tries. No need to be insulting, right?

D: Yeah, well. There's the self preservation thing too.

Me: Yeah, I know, I get it. But do more of THAT. I chill out much faster and see? Your head isn't bitten off. I like THAT! Do more, please!

D: Alright. Will try.

He struggles with me because his mother is a firecracker like I am only when SHE says to tell her she's being all teapotty and she won't take offense at being told? She takes offense and aims it all at YOU now.

I say to do it to me and he worries he's really going to be in for it if he does. And I get mad he doesn't act firm anyway. So he runs for cover feeling like damned if you do, damned if you don't so why bother? And I am frustrated because he does this without first trying! I am not his mother.

He needs more practice believing me that I really do stop and I really do need that held up to me. And in the meanwhile, I need to bite my tongue and not B***H at him how he's not doing it right or fast enough or whatever and just encourage the parts he IS doing right whenever.

That's been going on for the last 2 years? And we've been together nearly 20! C'mon dude... I love ya, I trust you, man up and TELL ME when I'm letting my panties get into too tight a knot and to cut it out! Sometimes I cannot see the forest for the trees! Tell me!

And this time was like he had all the pieces and the puzzle snapped into place and we both felt successful we navigated some moody teapotty thing well for once. He listened to me unload in silence, he held me without my having to ask, when the time was ripe, he gave firm feedback in stern but loving manner, and I was able to break out and see the forest. Everyone breath sigh of relief. Ahhhhh.

I think now next time he will feel braver about just DOING IT and then for both of us these periods of wacko will last a few hours instead of a few days. Already a few days is better than a week or more!

I'm about to see the doc to check on labs.

She told me two years ago when DH and I had a huge fight and I felt nuts and it turned out to be my thyroid meds needing changing... and that maybe aggravated other hormones?

That PCOS can manifests as psychiatric symptoms sometimes -- stress, anxiety, and moods and all that and I was like "No S**T!" inside my head. "Thanks for telling me AFTER the blow out!"

But I NEVER find resources online talking about that. Mentions, yes. Going deep? NO. Anyone know? PCOS and mental health issues like that? Do you experience that side of PCOS? Or is this not PCOS but perimenopause? Or is it both?

There's so much more info about dx PCOS in young teens and PCOS pregnancy now than before. I am glad. But what about us? Done with the kids and aging? NOW what?

So odd with the work kerfuffle...

But my mood is really good again. I'm still feeling blah about work but for myself I'm still on a high from the women's retreat a week ago and amused the old fitbit emerged from the Land of the Lost.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-07-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #12  

Quote:
That PCOS can manifests as psychiatric symptoms sometimes -- stress, anxiety, and moods and all that and I was like "No S**T!" inside my head. "Thanks for telling me AFTER the blow out!"
sOrry, I did chuckle at this. Just because I so know what you are saying.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Cemommster I know, right? Ming boggling.

My Check In:

Saw endoc. Labs all on track except LDL, TSH, ALT. Tested only FSH and estradiol and she wasn't worried but I want to KNOW. Soooo... maybe see reproductive endoc next?

I'm not sure.

BUT! I lost 20 lbs since last visit. Go me!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #14  

Astrophe GO YOU. That's awesome.
ME eh, feeling sluggish. No time to work out today. I have been on the run forever. Well, I could have between now and dh's game...but I got my hair cut today,and it's cute...who wants sweat to mess that up? lol
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 153 (post pg)/ticker/125

Height: 5'7"

Who is here this month?
--This is my first time posting in these threads, but i was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years go. Low carbing helped so much and i stayed on th wagon for most of my pregnancy. Now that my twins ae 7 weeks old and I think I have a good breastmilk supply, I want to focus on dropping the last of the baby weight.

How are you?
--Exhausted, but ready to get into a routine of better eating.

How was last month?
--totally exhausting, but worth it. My eating habits were terrible, though!

--I dropped the low-carb diet and ate so much junk food. So....not good.

--Finding an ideal balance of carbs to let me lose weight slowly and not sabotage breastfeeding. Hopefully thiis will solve my other problem: despite exclusively breastfeeding I've already had weird period/cramping/PCOS symptoms. Fingers crossed that diet will help with this. I sure am going to miss all the yummy sugary cereal and oatmeal cream pies I've eaten this month. When I fell off the wagon, I really fell off!
interzone is offline   Reply With Quote