Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #1  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Default IP Weekend Chat Sat 4/21 - Sun 4/22

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads.

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in google search. No need to inlucde the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book (PDF file): The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You
Old 04-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #2  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

I am off to bed after a looong day. I hope you all have an awesome weekend. I used to always eat when I stayed up late. I have not since starting IP and dinner was over 6 hours ago. Off on vacation tomorrow!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Good morning everybody, or as my dear old mom used to sing "Good Morning, Morning Glory!"

I woke up at 4:30 so I'm up. Course, I fell asleep by 9 last night...couldn't keep my eyes open.

Today I am taking it easier. My hands are swollen and bruised from the work yesterday, so I think I'll futz in the kitchen, do some ironing and go through the boxes of clothes I had brought up from the basement and see what fits and what I don't like anymore. If it seems like it will get sunny and warmer out, I may try dragging some of those vines to the burn pile, but I'm not pushing it too hard.

Hope you all have a wonderful, splendiferous day!

added: (from last night, but that thread will be closed so I'll copy it here....)

Two questions:

1st - re. the artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is terrible because it turns into formaldehyde when heated, which could happen easily in warehouses or trucks where the food containing it is stored. Sucralose is supposed to be safer, but who knows. Stevia is the only natural-based one, that has data to support that it actually helps control blood sugar levels.

There was a study that indicated that no matter what sweetener, natural or otherwise, we consume, the brain sees it as 'sweet' and you end up craving more and more. Hence one tbsp of WF chocolate dip can lead to 2 and 3...
But, I have not found any site that said aspartame or sucralose trigger pancreatic action. Now, the maltodextrin that is used in all powdered sweeteners as an anti-caking agent is perceived by the body as sugar. Small amount, but it still sees it as sugar. Does anybody have a reference that can be checked that indicates aspartame or sucralose themselves impact the pancreas?

2nd - the amount of water we should be drinking, and a max or min level. IP says min of 72 oz. I try to get at least 100. But, is there such a thing as too much water, and why? Why would it hinder weight loss or cause a health problem (unless you were drinking many gallons/day)? Anybody have references?

My pondering mind wants to know....

Last edited by Sewmam; 04-21-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #4  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Everybody!

I had a wonderful restful sleep and am feeling pretty good this morning. I have no big plans today and I like it. I will just putter around and do what I feel like doing.

I hope everyone has a great day and may the WHOOSH fairies visit each and every one of you.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: see ticker :)

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Everyone,

I had a great weigh in this week losing 4lbs and putting me at the 40lb mark. I have found that combining some daily walking has really done the trick to help me boost my losses and I actually am starting to look forward to the walk everyday !

Have a great OP weekend everyone !
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6  
Round 2 started 6/21/13

S/C/G: 269/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!

I am up early today. Will be dropping off the little one with her dad this morning, then action packed day planned. Will be driving to a consignment store about an hour away to drop off some bigger clothes and hopefully buying some pants sizes 12/14. Haven't been in those forever, so there is nothing in my closet.

Planning on movie night with a girlfriend tonight. Laundry in between

Gotta get to onederland at next WI! Thursday WI wasn't so great, only .6 lbs, but hoping for big number next week bc of water retention at last WI. I'll squeeze in some walking this weekend, too to help that situation.

Have a great OP weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 258.4/163.6/168.4

Good Morning! I have my WI in a little bit and I'm really nervous - last week I lost .8 - the smallest loss by far since I started and I don't think I'll have a big loss this week either (It's my 9th WI) - I'm OP 100% so I'm getting a bit worried that my body is going to stop losing - I LOVE this program and really want it to work - I just don't understand the slowdown... anyway - still on it 100% - have a great day everyone!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #8  
started IP 2/25/12

S/C/G: 174/141.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammywhiz View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

I had a great weigh in this week losing 4lbs and putting me at the 40lb mark. I have found that combining some daily walking has really done the trick to help me boost my losses and I actually am starting to look forward to the walk everyday !

Tammy---how long are you walking every day? I'm thinking about adding some exercise to my schedule and just don't want to overdue it and not lose. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

WI #11 this morning, wish me luck! Hope everyone has a great OP day
Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #10  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammywhiz View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

Great WI, I too just started wlking only 30 mins, but it is a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegirl View Post
Good Morning! I have my WI in a little bit and I'm really nervous - last week I lost .8 - the smallest loss by far since I started and I don't think I'll have a big loss this week either (It's my 9th WI) - I'm OP 100% so I'm getting a bit worried that my body is going to stop losing - I LOVE this program and really want it to work - I just don't understand the slowdown... anyway - still on it 100% - have a great day everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
WI #11 this morning, wish me luck! Hope everyone has a great OP day
Good luck you guys!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Good morning! WI 3 today - I've stayed off the scale and I'm excited! My clinic is an hour away so I'll be leaving shortly.

Sewmam, I have the same questions you posted above and am interesting in hearing others thoughts...I'm also going to do some research myself.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #12  
hecitsme

S/C/G: 203/191.3/150

Height: 5'11"

Alrighty day 5 - get ready to get your butt kicked! The sugar demons were beckoning me to do something - lick the sugar bowl if I had to - but something - anything! I thought to myself, "are you kidding? I'm not going back to day one - EVER!" and sure enough, the cravings passed. Pretty proud of myself actually - have a super day everyone!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Happy Saturday morning everyone.

Sewman: re the water question; someone had posted earlier about how her mother ended up in the hospital after taking her WW leaders advice to double up on water if she drank coffee.
I have difficulty drinking even the required amount on IP because of my job.
I have to visit a number of schools each day. I I drink the required amount of water I am in agony at each red light and than have to make a frantic run as I come to the school while trying to remember where the nearest bathroom is in each.
As all doors are locked in many schools now I am at the mercy of how quickly someone answers the buzzer it makes for a very stressful situtation.

Anyway here's what I found on about.com.

Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water?

Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:
Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Last edited by patns; 04-21-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 169/140/135

Height: 5'2"

Good morning! Good luck with the WI today. Hope you see the number you wished for. Yesterday was my first day on Phase 2 and I have to tell you that it was wonderful to eat my 2 boiled eggs for lunch. Mmmmm! Let's just hope the scale will be good next week. Have a wonderful day, whatever you do.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/140/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecitme View Post
Alrighty day 5 - get ready to get your butt kicked! The sugar demons were beckoning me to do something - lick the sugar bowl if I had to - but something - anything! I thought to myself, "are you kidding? I'm not going back to day one - EVER!" and sure enough, the cravings passed. Pretty proud of myself actually - have a super day everyone!
Wow! Good for you! It takes a lot of willpower. You got this!
Closed Thread