Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #1  

Default New & seeking support

Hi, I'm Jennifer and I'm 21 years old. I've been struggling with my weight every since puberty hit. I currently weigh 244.2 and I'm only 5'6. I am not on a mission to be skinny because i've always been a "thick" girl. But I would like to feel pretty again. My goal weight is anwhere between 160-180. I feel like I've tried everything to lose weight but when the weight doesn't just fall off I get very discouraged and give up. I have done the slim fast diet, weight watchers, p90x, insanity and others and can never get anywhere because I lose motivation. The most weight I've ever lost was 23 pounds but I had a personal trainer at the time. I can no longer afford her and I really need some support because I don't get any at home.
gabriela21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/265/165

Height: 5'0"

Hi I just joined myself and so far this forum is great there a lot of very supportive people out there so hopefully you can make your goal and lose the motivation.
Svdownwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #3  
threenorns

hi, guys! i'm threenorns.

do you have a supportive family doctor? i'm on a medically-supervised VLCD (bec that's just how my messed-up metabolism works or something like that) and i can tell you, checking in at the dr's office every week is a real valuable support.

i have to weigh in and he or the nurse practitioner takes my blood pressure, i give them the blood pressure readings for the rest of the week (bec if i don't, he looks at me really sadly and i hate that), and every month they test my blood to make sure i'm not nutritionally deficient. and then of course i can sit and boohoo about how hard my life and this sucks and my doctor pulls out the x-rays and test results to remind me why i can't hid behind being obese any more (i'm five-two and a bit and started at 230 on march 1st - down to 220 pending today's weigh-in).

as you've discovered, doing things that are completely out of your usual routine generally doesn't last unless it's something for which you develop a passion. my second daughter lost 80lbs in 3mo 2yrs ago bec her bf talked her into trying running - she went once, boohoo'd for 3 days about her sore legs, went back because he teased her (nicely) about not being a quitter, discovered her legs didn't hurt quite so much, and then just really go into it. she's a barefoot runner now - just up and moved to fort macmurry, of all things! we're talking somebody who was too scared to take the bus from toronto to brampton by herself (one bus, 40 minute ride, big mall at either end, you can't miss it).

me, i tried aerobic dance - after the lady next to me gave me a black eye, i didn't do it any more. but i LOVE zumba! even more than zumba, i love powerlifting. so i integrate both into my daily life: i walk 3mi once or twice a day (dog - big dog - big, *intelligent* dog) and i zumba as much of it as i can. i'm sure the neighbours think i'm a freak when they see me grape-vining down the sidewalk to the F77 remix of "he's a pirate". for the last two days, it's been wood - first chopping down a tree (which didn't fall down because it got stuck) and now splitting up two trees into firewood (guy came and took them down with a chainsaw and cut to lengths) with an 8lb maul.

i also do tabata - that's something you might actually like: it's only 4min a session but MAN does it kick your butt!

the rebounder is another great way to get a lot of work done in a short amount of time. it's great for building bone density, stimulating digestion, and clearing lactic acid from sore muscles.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/255/160

Height: 5'0"

Welcome!!! I think i got the hint from browsing around here on the forum that a diet just doesn't cut it anymore. We've gotta change into a healthy lifestyle (ugh i know) in order to lose the weight and keep it off. We're all here for you!!!
Medanalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #5  
zumbaholic!

S/C/G: 294/ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome! I jst joined here not too long ago was a bit skeptical about it but after a bit of using it I luv it aoo muchbsupport when u need it the most! Basically Wat I found from all of this is u have to find sumthing that works for u the best bcuz everyone is diff sumtimes certain thigs work for one person but not the other! Gud luck on ur adventures we are here for support!
strawleyl is offline   Reply With Quote