PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 01:23 AM   #1  

Default Aspartame

Hi I am new here and would like to say hello to you all I have had PCOs for ten years now and have all the classic things that go along with that. I heard about Syndrome X on another PCOs support site and then found this one. Endo has me on Met 500mg once a day for a week and then I am supposed to take two. This is only my second day on the stuff and the nausea is real bad. I take my pill at night and the nausea doesn't hit me until about 2 or 3 the next day. Havn't had much diarrhea but have had some gassy cramps If anyone has any advice on how to curb the nausea I would be very thankful to you.

The low carb diet does work. I stuck with it three years ago and lost 60 pounds (but it was really really hard) my motivation was a baby and now she is two and a half. I am up to 210 again and feel bad. The Met does definately curb the appetite, sometimes just from the nausea and sometimes I am not sick and still not hungry. But i think the low carb diet will work very well with the Met and hopefully it wont be as hard.

Anyways I wanted to tell all of you what I read on another site earlier today. All this time I thought I was doing great by drinking diet soft drinks, and came to find out that Aspartame (what they sweeten it with) produces more insulin!! The only diet soft drink out there without Aspartame is Diet Riet.

Good luck to all of you.

moonie
Old 03-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #2  

moonie,

Welcome to the site! I have really found it to be a great source of information & a great site to explore...Interesting info on aspartame, I guess I have to cut out that Diet Pepsi now! Where exactly did you read it?

Good luck with the met. My understanding, from reading postings on the pcos lifestyles list, is that it takes about a month for the stomach side effects stuff to get under control. Some ladies have posted that if they eat things out of the low carb realm, their stomach symptoms resume. I've never taken met so I don't have personal experience...

Best wishes,
NJCyster
Old 03-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #3  

FWIW I actually find I have WORSE side effects with met when I eat a lower carb diet! I don't know why, I can't really think of why this would be, except that less carbs would mean you need less met so a regular dosage becomes a very high dosage...

Anyway the cramps/gas will go away over time. As for nausea, I have read a lot of women having luck with ginger - you can buy ginger caps for sea sickness, etc in most stores that sell natural health and beauty remedies.

I have also heard of aspartame being terrible for insulin... yet I can't stop chugging my diet coke... I try and I try and I try...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #4  

Thumbs down Metformin

Hi Moonie,

I just started taking Metformin a couple of days ago myself and have found the side effects to be minimal, a little nausea at night and a little diarrhea in the morning - nothing too bad, though. I take it after 20 minutes of excercise, eating a healthy-size dinner and my vitamin supplements. I also drink a couple of large glasses of water with it. This routine seems to work really well for me and I'm on 500mg's too, next week will increase to 1000mg's and the week after to 1500mg's.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:31 PM   #5  

Fat can irritate tummy troubles with glucophage, at least thats what I found.

I love stuff with splenda, another thing that is made with splenda is Diet arizona ice tea, its really tasty too. I try to stay away from any carbonated drinks though, I read a message posted on this site about carbonated drinks stretching out your stomach, and I try to stay away from it now, The last thing I need is something sabotaging me
Old 05-31-2003, 06:03 PM   #6  

I was trying the induction of Atkins when I started the metformin and I was sick as a dog with it. Only when I added in more carbs (but nowhere near what I used to eat) did I get rid of the nasty bathroom side effects. I was terrified to add back in the carbs, but believe it or not, I had only managed to lose 3 lbs doing the induction. Pretty sad! :-( So I added back some carbs and figured I would immediately be back up the next day. (Like happens after a fad fasting diet -- my term for the yo-yo diets I've tried.) I am eating somewhere between 45 and 60 carbs a day and I feel the best I have felt in 10 years. (Of course, before I could eat tons of carbs at every meal.)

I've read in several different sources that nutrasweet (and its equals) is really pretty bad for people who are inulin resistant.
Things have changed..lol. When I had gestational diabetes years ago the dietician told me that you couldn't consume enough to hurt you.

Fruit 2 O is great and it is sweetened with Splenda. It is fruit flavored waters.
Closed Thread