Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:48 PM   #1  

Default New to the board

Hi Everyone!
Im so glad to be a new member of the board. I've been lurking for a while now. lol. Let me introduce myself...
My name is Melanie. Im 25,from SC, and have a 3 year old girl. I am approx. 200 lbs overweight and not sure of my BMI, id guess mid 50's.I have been researching Lap RNY for a while now and my cousin is scheduled for an open RNY on April 2 in NJ. I would like to get the surgery but I dont have a whole lot of medical background. And Im not sure how to go about it.I hadnt went to the Dr. very much until I got pregnant. I have an appt. on Mar 21 with my PCP who I havent seen before. I need advice on how to go about getting the ball rolling. First of all I guess I will need complete bloodwork done because everything runs in my family like diabetes, thyroid problems,high bp, etc.

Can anyone tell me how I should bring up WLS to my PCP? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks so much!

Old 03-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #2  
Hang In There

Welcome Melanie, sorry I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure the otherw will have some advice. i have not had the surgery bu my DH ole Alvin has. He had it in April of last year and has lost over 200 pounds. He did not have to approach his PCP. His PCP told him You WILL have this surgery, or you will die. Enough said.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:23 PM   #3  

Nice to meet you Barb! Im hoping that the Dr. is knowledgable about the surgery but I havent had good luck with Drs. but Im keeping my fingers crossed. Congrats on you and your hubbys weight loss!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

hey there curlie... it's actually quite easy to talk to your doc about the surgery. and it starts something like: 'i've been looking in gastric by pass surgery. what do you think about it?; and then there will be a conversation that will probably include questions about all the diets and exercise programs you've been on.

it helps to get an idea from your insurance company about their requirements for coverage BEFORE you have this conversation. call them up. ask them what their policy is. they'll tell you.

as the doc if he/she knows of any surgeons., but you can do some legwork first. go to www.asbs.org and look for surgeons in your area. this is the american society of bariatric surgeons, the ones who SPECIALIZE in this surgery. lots of surgeons are jumping on the bandwagon, but not all have the experience.

chances are, if the surgeon knows what he/she is doing, you will have to go to an orientation seminar, in which there will be a slide show and probably a Q&A session. there may also be handed out materials, or even the chance to make an appt with the surgeon. most docs also have some post ops hanging around.

make sure to talk to as many as you can. they can tell you the real deal. and you can see if they're happy or not, healthy or not.

well, this is probably enough to keep you busy for awhile. but please come back here... be a regular... honest!!! we won't bite!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

AND BY the way.. who's doing your cousin's surgery? inquiring minds want to know. ok. i admit it i'm just plain nosy.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #6  

curlie...a good first start is to talk to your pcp frankly. be honest. also, when you contact your insurance, they may advise you that it is not covered. do not let that stop you from taking the next steps. usually, when it is medically necessary and you have taken all the right steps, they often will approve it. another good place to start would be to have your doctor put you on a regulated diet under his/her supervision. this will also show the insurance company that you are serious about this.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:08 PM   #7  

HI all! I am looking into having the surgery done as well. My Brother (and his wife) had it done at LifeLight (LifeLite??) in Boluxi Miss. The doctors at Emory in Atlanta have a specilaized Bariatrics dept. I went to the seminar - before I spoke to my PCP- and it was great! Mt BMI is 45 and I was one of the smallest in the group. I was intimidated by the whole idea of going to this meeting. My husband went with me as my caregiver (required) and I was afraid he would look at me a bit diffeently, but he still says I am sexy! My PCP was VERY receptive to the information and since the surgery can be done laproscopically that means only an overnight stay. My brother has the 16" scar and was in ICU for 3 days and then in the hospital for 7 days. I will be back to work in 2 weeks and I do not even have to let my co owrkers know I am having surgery. They do it like the gallbladder surgery withthe 5 incisions. My insurance company balked on it until ALL my doctors (PCP, OBGYN, Orthopedic surgeon and Physical Therapist - from a wreck) all agreed that it is the best course of action for me. Now they are reconsidering. I am having to follow a 10 week regime of a documented weight loss program so I chose WW. My knees are shot from the wreck, but the weight is making it 10 times worse.

Good Luck with the PCP. If this is what you feel you need to do- DO NOT BACK DOWN! Only you know if it is right!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #8  
Slowly going crazy!

Hi Curlie, and Sarajane! ! !

I'm not an RNY'er, but a Bandster (Lap-Band). Thought I would wish you well on your journey towards getting your surgery. The biggest hurdle is finding a surgeon, getting insurance, etc. The rest is pretty painless (surgery-wise)...and a lifetime commitment (that is so worth it once you start seeing some results).

Congrats on your decisions to do something good for yourself.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:32 PM   #9  

Hi everyone, thanks for replying. Jiffypop-My cousins Dr. is C.e. Pasupathy in Bridgeton NJ (South Jersey). And thanks everyone for all the good advice. I really appreciate it. My appt with the PCP is this Friday. I have SC Medicaid and I have talked to alot of people who say that they got approved, but it has to be medically neccasary. Wish me luck!

Jiffy-The surgeon closest to me that accepts medicaid isnt a member of the ASBS---should I be worried?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:52 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

Not necessarily worried, but do ask him about his experience, his record, his followup requirements. ask him if he's joining ASBS...
Closed Thread