Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

Unhappy Heel-striking Is The Worst Way To Run!!

Hey there,

So I started the C25K program in the hopes of completing my first 5k in mid-august. I'm at W2D2 and man let me tell you that my shins HURT sooooo bad.. They are sooooo tight after a workout.... I put some pain relief cream, stretch and all but no change... I've decided to do a search online and I realize that my problem is not gonna just go away with time...I have the wrong technique!!!! I'm heel-striking; my first contact with the ground is with my heel when it should be my forefoot...

Now I really have work on this problem, at my next workout I have to focus on my foot positioning otherwise I might injure myself and will not be able to finish this program

Anyone with a similar problem? Any suggestions, tricks, comments to help me with this???
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #2  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

I have the same issue! I would love help with this as well!
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #3  
threenorns

barefoot running is the answer.

here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini...als-Huaraches/

and here http://www.instructables.com/id/Bare...-Plasti-Socks/

running barefoot will automatically resolve your strike issues.

Quote:
Most shod runners, which would encompass 75% or more of Americans, strike their heels when they run, experiencing a large and sudden collision force an average of 960 times for every mile they run, “making runners prone to repetitive stress injuries,” the authors write.

On the other hand, people who run barefoot tend to land with a step toward the middle or front of the foot, causing less impact force to the foot.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...ealth-benefits

Last edited by threenorns; 04-18-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #4  

That heel-striking is bad is nonsense.

MANY MANY long-time runners are heel-strikers, and are successful.

I realize that minimalist shoes are being marketed as promoting toe-strike, and that toe-strike is the flavor of the month, but I think it's really irresponsible for a new runners who's never actually run distance to be proclaiming what is "good" and what's "bad." Run your first decent 5K or stay healthy (and training) for a year and then get back to us.

Advice: C25K progesses really, really quickly, and you're heavy for a runner. Slow down your progress, ice your shin splints, and make sure you're wearing properly-fitted, properly-chosen shoes _for your foot and strike type_.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

running barefoot DOES fix the problem..... but its not for everyone.......

MOST runners start out as heel strikers, and many continue to heel strike their entire lives..... If its possible, id try barefoot running, not as an all-the-time thing, but just running barefoot once a week for a little while, will fix the problem, even when you have your running shoes on the rest of the time. Dont ga far though and go slow. Run on the grass, or on a treadmill...... be ready for some seriously sore calves for SEVERAL days following EACH time you do it
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #6  
Borderline Amazing!!!

I looked into it a little. One way to improve your form is to run barefoot. See the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4...eature=related

It takes you through how to improve your stride. Going to go try this now
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanieYork View Post
I looked into it a little. One way to improve your form is to run barefoot. See the link ...

It takes you through how to improve your stride. Going to go try this now
WOW!!!! That is amazing. I've known about the barefoot shoe but never thought about it for me!!??? I know this will help me. I was thinking of changing my shoes because I sometimes fell that I can't move my foot properly (even though I got them at a running shop, tested my run for the guy and here's the one you need he said!!!) I'm so getting myself a Vibram FiveFingers shoe!

Thank you so much for posting this!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
running barefoot DOES fix the problem..... but its not for everyone.......

MOST runners start out as heel strikers, and many continue to heel strike their entire lives..... If its possible, id try barefoot running, not as an all-the-time thing, but just running barefoot once a week for a little while, will fix the problem, even when you have your running shoes on the rest of the time. Dont ga far though and go slow. Run on the grass, or on a treadmill...... be ready for some seriously sore calves for SEVERAL days following EACH time you do it
I'm gonna get a pair of barefoot shoes and give it a try. Since I don't have a treadmill, can register to the gym and there's some grass around me but I don't trust what could be hidden there!! So the road it is for me

Sore calves??!! Oh well, I'll trade my sore shins for anything right now
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #9  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Holy cow! I tried this earlier today. My calves were on fire! And I didn't even run very far! I'm starting the C25K tomorrow. I hope this helps! Good luck HappyRunner! On the days I don't run I will be doing this ab video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Y6ZTzUEtPTI

I have gone through a lot of their videos and tried a bunch today. I'm pretty excited about this new routine! These girls are awesome! Good luck everyone!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
That heel-striking is bad is nonsense.

MANY MANY long-time runners are heel-strikers, and are successful.

I realize that minimalist shoes are being marketed as promoting toe-strike, and that toe-strike is the flavor of the month, but I think it's really irresponsible for a new runners who's never actually run distance to be proclaiming what is "good" and what's "bad." Run your first decent 5K or stay healthy (and training) for a year and then get back to us.

Advice: C25K progesses really, really quickly, and you're heavy for a runner. Slow down your progress, ice your shin splints, and make sure you're wearing properly-fitted, properly-chosen shoes _for your foot and strike type_.
I'm afraid I wont get to my first 5k ever if I don't find a solution to this problem. The same thing happen years ago when I was much skinnier about 160lbs and much more in shape, I wanted to start running and start to follow that treadmill program 5x a week, I had to stop it all after a week so much my shins were hurting, and I had good shoes on. So I really think it's my technique. As for my pace, I'm so slow that if I slow down I might as well be walking!!! I'm not thinking about speed right now...trust me! For now the C25K program fits into my schedule so well, 3x a week, about 30min each sessions, I don't think this is going to fast at all. I guess everybody is different when it comes to heel or forefoot striking... I'll try to change my technique and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
barefoot running is the answer.

here:

running barefoot will automatically resolve your strike issues.

Interesting... But I'm not sure it will actually hold up??!! I think I'll get some Vibram's FiveFingers instead. Have you actually try theses?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I really want to find a solution to this problem and from what I'm reading so far, barefoot it is! I wanted to get a Garmin....guess I'll stay with my very old Polar for now and get myself some new shoes!!! Barefoot shoes that is
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Actually, you will use our shins even more if you do a fore or mid foot strike.

The problem is that your shin muscles aren't strong enough yet. you need to BUILD UP TO RUNNING... It's a newbie mistake. If you aren't already a fast walker and already built up strength in your leg muscles with walking, you will most likely get shin splints.

There should be HUGE warning signs all over the c25k site that say "not really for people going couch to 5k"
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Walking has not built up my muscles well enough to run. I walk at a pretty good clip and can walk til the cows come home but running kicked my behind! ( well my shins anyway ) I am a heel striker also.

I am trying different things to correct the problem. So far I have new shoes and started working on my form. I have also included jump roping and stair climbing to my work out.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #15  
threenorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrunner View Post
Interesting... But I'm not sure it will actually hold up??!! I think I'll get some Vibram's FiveFingers instead. Have you actually try theses?
i don't run - my second daughter, caiti, is the runner (and she RUNS!). she's the one been urging me to do C25K barefoot - she lost 80lbs in something ridiculous like 3mo by running every day.

she doesn't like the five-fingers shoes - she found the sensation between her toes too distracting. but then, she doesn't like thong sandals, either.

she uses just a thin pair of minimalist shoes with a zero drop.