Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Travel Venting!

I just need to vent!

My company has been sending me to NYC every month for the last year and a bit (since Jan 2011). Its making losing weight really difficult. Its a lot of eating out and lack of exercise. The actual travel days take all day because I'm on the other side of the country. Even when I try to be good about my meals, its tough because I'm not eating in chain restaurants so I'm not always able to get info to calculate points. All the sodium also means I retain a lot of water.

I feel like I go to NYC, and it takes a full week to be back to what I was before the trip, and then 2 or 3 weeks later, I'm back on a plane!

chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #2  
Sally

S/C/G: 222.5/207.6/140

Height: 5' 3"

Salads and chicken.....I know not that much fun to oder all the time. Do they give you time to hit a local grocery store or a market where you could have some healthy food in your room, assuming you have to spend the night in NYC. As for the sodium, water water water. I don't really know how much more you can do, but to make the best choices you can.
Sallyannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #3  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Been there----the trick I found helps is pack your food for travel in your carry on...ie turkey wraps, fruit, chopped veggies that gets you there. Then scope out the neareat food mart to hotel and buy fruit and lunch meat....since you packed some tortilla's and buy some broth based soup to heat in microwave...cups work great for bowls. yes sodium is high but can be flushed with lots of water.

ok exercise....if you get in before dark take a long walk if not I have been know to do this put on tennies and shorts and walk the stair well to top floor and back down to bottom many many times if it does not have a gym of sorts

this has kept me sane on more than one occation
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

I'd say take advantage of the delis where you can find some nice salads. New York is actually pretty healthy-eating friendly if you go to the right places. And there's tons of restaurants with nutritional info online. Do a little homework.

And lack of exercise? It's one of the best walking cities in the world And if you run, it's amazing. Central park is one of my favorite places to run.

not trying to be critical, just offering some suggestions I used to live there, it's definitely possible to stay healthy there... where there's a will, there's a way!

Last edited by wickedlady; 04-17-2012 at 12:29 AM.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I feel for ya... traveling tends to set me back in eating & exercise too. The stress of it, change in environment, and feeling like I don't have control of the situation always make it more difficult. But the others above have already given good suggestions. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd try not to 'overthink' it too much. Set a plan, do what you need to do, and keep accountable the best you can. Bring a workout dvd with you so you can exercise in the hotel room!
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #6  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

I think I'm realizing that its really me not holding myself to the standard I hold myself to at home. I think part of it is that I'm SO TIRED when I'm there (I have to get up 3am to get my flight across the country from San Fran to NY), and tiredness is a trigger for me to overeat.

I am traveling again in May, so the goal is to do it the way I would live at home!

I have also realized it doesn't help that I get back from my trip and then I'm ovulating which is my danger zone in my cycle for craving.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

It always concerns me when i have to travel, what im going to eat, how im going to stick within my points etc. Its so hard, Just try your best girl, you can do it. Some great suggestions here posted.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybunny29 View Post
I think I'm realizing that its really me not holding myself to the standard I hold myself to at home. I think part of it is that I'm SO TIRED when I'm there (I have to get up 3am to get my flight across the country from San Fran to NY), and tiredness is a trigger for me to overeat.

I am traveling again in May, so the goal is to do it the way I would live at home!

I have also realized it doesn't help that I get back from my trip and then I'm ovulating which is my danger zone in my cycle for craving.
That's really great! Congrats to you for looking at it from a different perspective
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote