General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #1  
banned

Default Eating too many calories while exercising

I'm not sure where to post this at, but I was wondering if anyone else has problems staying in a normal calorie range on days when they exercise? I've been trying to do an hour or so of "activity" a day. I've either been going for walks or doing the 30 day shred DVD, followed by 20-40 minutes of winsor pilates (depending on how I'm feeling). I'll pair this with some housework or gardening. Really, I'm just trying to be more active, and trying to turn being active into a habit. The only problem is I've always had a big appetite, but here lately, since I've upped my daily activity, I've been eating WAY more than usual. I'll do fine, and go several days under or within my normal calories, and then I'll end up having a bad calorie day. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do, how do you "fix" it?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

I've got the same problem. I might stay within my calorie range for two days but then I have a huge binge. (workouts include weightlifting and cardio for 1 hour 5 days a week in the am Sometimes extra light cardio at night)

I usually eat my workout calories as well because if I dip below 1200 I get weak/dizzy/NQR.
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

How many calories are you eating? What are you eating? It's hard to say what's going on without more information.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #4  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Perhaps split your meals into smaller meals throughout the day and then you won't get as hungry. Also make sure you're drinking a lot of water, especially if you're exercising more. Sometimes people are just thirsty.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #5  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Depending on how many calories you eat - you should maybe up them.

Through this whole weightloss process I've never been hungry except when I wake up in the morning or an hour or so after weightlifting. When I get hungry, I simply eat something. I thinky ou have to make sure you are reading your body right, so that you are not 'thinking yourself hungry'. If you eat properly, then cardio does not really have to make you extra hungry. A good balance of proteins and complex carbs, planned out in the right way (before and after your workout) should be able to keep you feeling filled.

I eat atleast my BMR calories (about 1400 for me) + 1/4 to 1/3 of the calories I burned during exercise and am never hungry. Except when I mess up and don't eat anough protein/filling food after lifting weights. Then I could eat the whole kitchen and then some for the feeling of hunger to finally subside. So I make sure I get ahead of that by eating tuna or a protein shake/smoothie.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Like philana, I find the only thing that makes me feel hungry is a good weight or strength training session. Those are really the ones you should be eating after (and something high in protein to boot).

How much are you eating right now? What are you eating?

Secondly, make sure it's real hunger. It's quite easy to be thirsty after exercising if you haven't drank enough water during you workout and mistake it for hunger. Try drinking something first and then seeing if you're still hungry.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #7  
banned

I try to stay between 1400-1800, but I sometimes keep going over. I admit that sometimes I choose the wrong foods (junk or sugar). Maybe If I stuck to eating healthier options I wouldn't be as hungry? I stayed low on calories a while back, because I had toast, eggs, and salad for breakfast. I guess that's more of the food I should be eating and not kashi cereal or granola bars. I'm going to work on this.

Oh, and about the water, I've slacked off A LOT on soda, and instead have substituted it with that mio water stuff, so I've been drinking way more water than ever.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 04-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

That's probably it.

When I eat granola bars I'm ravenous!! I just can't handle the refined sugars/carbs. They make me so hungry. Try replacing them with a higher protein/fat food instead. I bet it'll help!

Hang in there!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I do this too. It's all mental. I just try to watch what I eat and shoot for lots of vegetables and protein. Rarely do I have an "ideal" day, but at least being more active is habit forming...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote