General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default Epic fail.... Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Today I took an agility test for the police department.... AND I FAILED MISERABLY!!! I actually already work there as a dispatcher but I was taking the test to get on the road. Well, I had been working 2 full time jobs for the past couple years to get to this day.... just b/c I knew I was going to have to take a cut in pay.

So, after I had lost almost 100 pounds, gained some back while I was working 89 hours a week, and continued to work 6 days a week..... I decided I was going to have to get into shape more than just the WL and the bootcamp that I had done when I was only working 1 job. So, I hired a personal trainer and worked really hard while still working 6 days a week. I was in the gym 2 times a day most days working on push ups. That was my weak point, "so I thought". I made it through the push ups with some left to spare.... however, I did not make it past the sit ups. I got 7 out of 22.

I feel soooo bad b/c I put all my eggs in one basket and it bit me in the rear. I should have known better than to do it, I thought I would skate by on the sit ups, but that was not the case.

I am also regretful that I bumped my calories up b/c everyone said I was not eating enough...... I can't help but think that if I had not listened to everyone and ate as liberal as I had... maybe the sit ups would have been easier..... but I guess that is just my way of justifying my not making it.

Thanks for listening to me gab.... I appreciate it. Btw, I am not giving up... I will get back OP tomorrow and get ready for the November testing.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #2  
threenorns

just a suggestion: instead of focussing on this exercise or that, how about doing the fitness test over and over again?

by the time november rolls around, you'll be doing it in your sleep.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Tammy - we know how hard you've been working, the sheer staggering amount of hours, plus working out...I am sorry that the situps bit you..but you are still a hero to me for trying!!!

as 3norns said..now that you know what the test is like, can you concentrate on doing exactly what is expected, to help you again in November?

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Eating more calories had nothing to do with you being unable to complete the situps. You focusing solely on pushups and ignoring situps is why you failed that part. Calories have nothing to do with your level of fitness......

But as the other two posters have stated, now that you know what the test is like, you can use that to your advantage and practice in all those areas!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #5  
threenorns

ps: that was FAR from an "epic" fail.

an "epic" fail would be a complete bail-out, like, not getting out of bed that morning.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

You are so determined! 89 hours of work per week is mind boggling. I second the idea of practicing all of the moves they want you to do sit ups, push ups, etc on a regular basis. It is OK to fail as long as you keep on trying! Good luck and I hope you have some time to rest and only work 1 job.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

I agree with others that all your hard work did not yield an epic fail. You may not have made it this time, but I'm assuming that you can try again in the future. Consider that at least now, you know what you need to work on.

I teach college writing classes and many of my students come to college quite underprepared. Some don't do well the first time around in the class I teach because it's a very tough class, so when they get to my class, they've already been through it once. Those who take the attitude that they learned a lot the first time around even if they didn't pass the course and have to retake it end up doing much better the second time around and understanding the material much better, which ultimately helps them for the future.

I try to take every "failure" (I hate that word!) as a learning experience. Right now I'm applying for a type of job that I've never done before. I've failed quite a few job tests for different companies, but every time I learn a little more about what it takes to do that job and what employers expect. So I don't see those as failures but as opportunities to learn.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Thank you all for your input. It was a hard pill to swallow..... I was sure that if I made it through the push ups I had it..... but that was not the case. I can test again in November. Right now, my goal is to get my head back in the game.... get in stellar shape and see what comes my way.

I appreciate all of the thoughts. I have never been a quitter.... don't intend to start now.

As far as the "epic failure"..... let me say I am a type A personality..... any failure is "epic". BUT, in reading the inputs, I see a different perspective.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #9  

When exercising, you need to shock your body by varying the exercises, not always do the same ones, else it wont help anymore because your body is already used to it. Also, you have to go off what is comfortable for YOU, as those others are not the ones dieting. If it feels good... do it. Question is... were you happier when you were doing it your way? (the calorie intake)
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote