General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Prretty sure I had a migraine aura today

Today was a rotten day. R.o.t.t.e.n.

One, my mother in law has a a really bad cold and she is acting very overly dramatic and I can't stand it. I grew up in a home that you didn't complain if you we're sick unless you thought you were truly dying.

Two, I got a neck strain I think from doing something wrong in body pump on Wednesday night. I had a headache yesteday and got one today,

Three, I needed to enter tons of stuff for our taxes today so I didn't waste weekend time. Took me hours. (entering charity contributions)

Four, while I was entering those things for taxes, my right eye was acting funny. Like the entirre periphery vision was like looking through water and I just felt odd/weird... Kind of out of it. It happened twice in the morning and once after volunteering at my son's elementary school. It lasted for about 10 minutes each time.

Five, had to make dinners and it was a meal I wanted to avoid (carbs) so I had to make three meals as my little guy doesn't like pasta yet either.

Six, I finally wanted to get my run in for the day, but my 6 year old was begging to to go the pool. I put him off last night because of this neck strain headache, so I didn't have the heart to put him off again. So the goes the run...

Seven, we get to the pool, change, take a shower, get in the water and less than 5 minutes later we have to get out because they discovered poo in the pool. And of course, now it's too dark to get in a run, we're wet from the pool and yet didn't really get to be in the pool, so I had to promise for tomorrow.

Eight, never mind the fact I have tons, and tons, and tons to do tomorrow. As I have an auction to prepare for sunday nmorning, a Sunday school class to prepare, items for a food sale to bake, organizing a graduation meeting for Sunday and now I need to somehow find time to exercise and get my son to the pool.

Friday the 13th perhaps?

Anyone eve have a migraine aura? This is a first for me. I always get sensitive/ weird feelings to my eyes when I get migraines, but this aura thing was freaking me out!

Now I'm thinking... Maybe I don't have a neck strain, but that this is a migraine. They are different for me than before, but I had this in the fall for about 2 weeks. I just assumed I had a neck strain, but maybe my neck got stiff from a migraine?

Totally bites as I cannot be out of commission this weekend. I simply cannot.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

My friend gets an aura with her migraines, and she says hers are like crystalline flashes of light and waves. Sounds like a flashback from an LSD trip to me. I'm not much help, as I do not have migraines, but I know they can do really weird things sometimes. Another friend of mine had a temporarily paralyzed optic nerve from one, but hers are pretty severe. Anyhow, I hope you feel better so you can handle yo' biz.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

My migraines start with something like an aura. My eyes stop working properly. I also lose the ability to understand what I'm reading. I can read each individual word, but I cannot make sense of the sentences. This starts an hour or so before the head pain starts. The only way to get rid of it is to crawl into bed in a dark, quiet room and sleep. Sometimes I have had to take off all my clothes because even underwear elastic annoyed me. Bad migraines are a full body experience for me.

Luckily, I haven't had a really bad migraine in a couple of years. I started getting them when my now 10 year old was a few months old.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150s/122/110

Height: 5'2

I have classic migraine with aura. I get them rarely, maybe once a year. Otherwise I am generally headachey, but the big migraines feel like someone has taken a large metal pole and shoved it through the top of one side of my head, behind my eye, and out the other side of the jaw. It is searingly painful with a healthy dose of nausea.

Auras come in many shapes and forms-- some people get "Alice in Wonderland" symptoms where their hands seem too large in relation to their body, or far too small. Some people have taste auras. Mine are the boring traditional type, scintillating scotoma, a small pool in the center of my vision that looks like water with a rainbow edge that grows larger and larger until it takes everything over. My head doesn't hurt during this phase, the headache follows immediately after. The aura lasts about 30 min. Like the above poster, I usually notice it beginning because I cannot focus on words on the page. The last time it was trying to pluck my eyebrows and not being able to pick out the hairs, gah!

Did you headache follow your aura immediately? Was there nausea? Excedrin migraine is wonderful, but you need to take it before your headache starts in full, so the aura can actually be sort of useful.
guichita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

The migraine aura you are describing is actually a stand alone migraine called an optical migraine. Sometimes they are present with classic migraines, sometimes they are by themselves. There are times when I will get one and it only last for half an hour or so, then my vision goes back to normal, other times the weird vision will come and go over the course of a day. There are days (really bad days) when the optical migraine will hang around for an hour or so, then progress to the excruciating pain of a classic migraine. Aspirin may help, but often, as with most migraines, they are going to follow their own course.

Sorry about your "off" Friday the 13th though. The pool thing really sucks. Hopefully Saturday the 14th is a much better day.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks... I woke with another bad headache - I'm having muscle pain in my neck which is spawning these headaches. My right eye still feels funny (that eye always is 'off' when I get migraines). I'm lucky with migraines that if I treat it FAST, I can usually avert the head pain, but the rest still plays out - just the pain is masked - weird eye, sometimes diarrhea, feeling bad over all.

This is day 3. Last time it took TWO WEEKS to get over (triggered by muscle pain in the neck by something I did in BodyPump). Last time I ignored the headache for the first week and just kept going to class after that for another two weeks I didn't go and it slowly got better. This time I'll wisen up a bit and let my neck heal from the get go by avoiding straining it. I'll do lighter exercise instead.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I do have migraines. I always have the aura, when I have the aura I know the migraine is coming.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #8  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I often get migraines and I'm not sure if they start because of neck pain or the other way around but it's pretty frequent. My vision often gets pretty weird building up to one. Dark and heavy and kind of that feeling of being underwater, it's a strange one alright.

Sorry about your rough week, hope you feel better!

Last edited by LeilaJey; 04-15-2012 at 05:56 AM.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote