Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Whats the matter with me? I need some tough love

Whats wrong with me? I seem unable to add exercise to my life.

My company has a "gym" that all employees can use, free of charge. There are cardio machines, weights, and classes. I never go. Recently they've brought a personal trainer onboard that I can hire. The company will reimburse $250/year for this kind of thing. On the surface I'm interested, but deep down I'm not. WHY?

I hate exercise. I've never been able to stick with anything long term. I don't/won't wake up early to do it (I don't sleep well, so I never feel rested and waking up is difficult). I have family obligations in the evening, so staying late is also difficult. My neighborhood isn't safe for walking...busy roads, no sidewalks, steep hills. I recognize these are all excuses so I don't have to do what I don't want to do.

Please tell me about your experience. Did you used to hate exercise and now love it? How did that change for you? How did you get up and do it anyway?

Last edited by Moondance; 04-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

What kinds of things do you like to do?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #3  

I hate exercise. In fact I made a pact with myself-I would lose a majority of my weight after I quit the gym just to see if I could do it, and I did. I've only been going to the gym a week ago.
Really, it depends on your goals. In my opinion, I think at least some activity is good for health in general-doesnt have to be exercise, just recreational activity-like walking on the treadmill (if you can't go outside). I think of it as taking Tylonel or going to a checkup, I don't like it, but I need to do something. Never did the intense stuff that really burns the cals. When I get better, I will do strength training just cause I want my body to look better, but my exercise (or lack of it) has not hindered my weight loss, in fact it fueled it because I knew that I had to really commit to diet because I was burning so few cals.
As long as you do some regular activity (walking a little, just for health) and watch your diet I think you should be fine. To lose weight though and thats IT, yes I think that watching what you eat and just sitting there will result in weight loss. I even find it more effective than the opposite extreme-not watching the diet at all and working out a ton.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

are you able to go on weekends when you can sleep in and might not have family obligations? its a start.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

I know exactly how you feel. I've lived in the same apartment complex for the last 4 years and didn't step foot in the (free!) gym until the end of last year. I still hate going to the gym - I'd much rather relax on the couch after a long day at work - but I've found that it's not that bad.

I started with just 30 mins on the treadmill or elliptical a couple days a week and have worked myself up to 45 mins (elliptical) or an hour (treadmill) 5 days a week.

Some days I still have to force myself to go workout, but other days I really don't mind it! I still can't say that I enjoy it, but I'm getting there and you will too! Good Luck!
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #6  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

nm.

Last edited by philana; 04-14-2012 at 09:17 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I saw a quote somewhere that said "someone busier than you worked out today", it helped me get over my excuses. If you don't know what kind of exercise you won't mind doing just start trying different things till you find something.

Do you have streaming netflix? There's a ton of all different kinds of exercise videos on there!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Maybe working out in a gym on a daily basis isn't for you. Is there other activities you do like? You can lose weight without exercising, as long as you have a calorie deficit on a regular basis, you could never exercise and still lose weight. With this being said, just like we don't *have to brush our teeth every day in order to live, we have things that we do on a regular basis because it's what our bodies need to be healthy. Try to find an activity you don't hate, it doesn't have to be a structured fitness plan, just 30 minutes of activity at least several times a week, then committ to it like you would brushing your teeth. If you want to spend 30 minutes dancing around your kitchen while you cook dinner in the evening, or get some exercise DVDs, set up a routine while watching tv in the evenings. Or maybe commit to just 2 days walking 15 minutes before and after work in the gym, then a fun, active activity on Saturday's and Sunday's.

I think we often get it in our heads that exercise must be 60 minutes in the gym every day to count. That does work for some people, but just like diets, exercise is not a one-size-fits-all type thing. One of my favorite things to do is hiking. I would go every weekend if I had the time. I would go even I t was not considered exercise. Fortunately, it's actually a fantastic exercise so I have at least one activity I love that doubles as physical activity.

Don't be afraid to try some new activites. I have faith there is at least one activity you would at least not mind committing two a few times a week.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I won't work out at a gym for a number of reasons - finances being chief. But that doesn't mean I won't work out, that means I have to find another solution that works for me. There is no excuse not to get in some activity - anyone can fit it is, but the solutions are sometimes creative or less than ideal.

Now, not wanting to workout? That is perfectly valid! Just as valid as someone choosing to overeat on delicious food and being at higher weights. There is nothing morally inferior about wanting extra food or disliking energy expenditure. The question isn't what is wrong with you or your choices, but whether the choices you are making now will get you to your goal. If your goal is health and fitness, finding SOME movement or activity you enjoy benefits you. If you want to be strong and firm, doing a bodyweight/band/barbell workout of some sort is necessary. If you want to have lower body fat, choosing a way of eating that supports that end rather than undermines it is a must.

These are all just choices, and all ones a healthy adult can make work if they have the desire and commitment to do so. But be honest with yourself - if you don't have the desire for an outcome that is strong enough to overcome the negatives or discomfort of the choices necessary to achieve it, you benefit far more from looking at that head on and accepting it rather than 'secretly' loathing a choice and hemming and hawing over it, while half heartedly trying to enact it. That doesn't help you get to your goals, it is just a self delusion and one you don't benefit from.

So do an honest self assessment of whet you want to be. Then chart a path of actions or choices to get there. If you cannot commit to the steps to get there, you need to choose a difference goal or decide the distasteful things about that path are worth overcoming. That mental work is what will give you goals you find achievable and are actually willing and able to work toward. Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels fighting against choices you don't like for an outcome you can't get to without them. There's nothing wrong with hating the gym, but there is something wrong with hating the gym and still having a hard-worked-for-physique as your goal. Get it? The path and the destination need to align, or something has to change.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Try some tough love on yourself, this is what I had to do.
When I first started this journey, I kept promising myself, I will exercise tonight but I would get off work and be too tired or something would come up with the family and then I would feel guilty for not exercising. It was a vicious cycle the guilt over not get exercise in. I finally decided that I WAS WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT to wake up early to get my exercise done. Is it easy? No, there were many mornings I wanted to ignore my alarm and go back to sleep but I did not allow myself any excuses and forced myself to get up and get it done. This is one of the best things I have done for myself. I feel so much better physically and mentally. I use to hate hearing exercise will make you feel better, blah, blah, blah but it is true.
You and your health are worth the extra effort it will take to fit exercise into your life.

Last edited by NEMom; 04-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #11  

Try listening to music. I have trouble sitting still when I have music playing, and I tend to workout longer because I keep thinking, "Oooh, just one more song." Even if I'm feeling crappy and just walk for an hour, at least it was better than sitting around not doing anything.
SensualSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I can't hate exercise. I was always an active kid - always riding my bike, climbing trees, jumping on the trampoline, etc. When I was 12 years old, I broke my leg. Couldn't do ANY of the things I loved to do for 18+ weeks! While laying in the hospital with my leg in traction, I swore that I would never take something as simple as walking for granted ever again.

Fast forward 30+ years... Does this mean I always exercise, never miss a walk, ride, swim, weight lifting opportunity? HARDLY! - I also have a LAZY GENE (yes, it's genetic, thankyouverymuch!! ) - I can swim... and I DO! ... but ... I love to lay in the sun by the pool, reading a maggie or my e-reader. And I LOVE to sit on my arse & watch some TV while getting doggie lap time. SO ENJOY walking on the beach, picking up shells, swimming in the ocean, but there's a lot to be said for just laying there, soaking up some good old-fashioned Vitamin D and listening to the sound of the waves...

You don't have to be "either/or" with exercise. And there's a MILLION PLUS things to do. Don't like gyms? Try at-home video work-outs. Like the outdoors? Simple walking around the neighborhood. Don't like outdoors? Try getting a treadmill to put in front of your TV. Don't like biking? Maybe a recumbent bike and a good book is more your style. How about a sport? Tennis? Basketball? Soccer? Softball? Most any sport will do. Like to dance? Boy is that one ever easy! Just turn up the tunes and get jiggy wid'it!!!

THE POINT? Exercise is GOOD for your body. But exercise doesn't have to "hurt" or bore you to tears. Just know this: The older you get, the more you will NOT be able to move COMFORTABLY. Your joints will wear out. Your back will hurt. The knees get creaky, sleep don't come easy, and for women... MENOPAUSE (that's always a barrel of laughs... NOT!) The more you move NOW, the more you find a way to enjoy movement NOW - the better off you'll be when you get older. TRUST ME ON THIS.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I hated exercise and viewed it as punishment or a means of weight loss only.

I wish I could say I developed a healthy love for it, but honestly I got so disgusted with my weight gain that I made myself learn to run and do workout videos. I did C25K style training and then ended up getting hooked on it.

I also had a rule: NO SHOWERS unless you've JUST EXERCISED. Trust me, after a couple days you'll really look forward to going for a jog or hanging out with Billy Blanks in your living room.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I also had a rule: NO SHOWERS unless you've JUST EXERCISED. Trust me, after a couple days you'll really look forward to going for a jog or hanging out with Billy Blanks in your living room.
Love this!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #15  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

I struggled with this too. A friend finally got me to email a workout schedule on Sunday and I was required to 'check in' at the gym or copy him on my cycling app's final stats for a ride, anything to prove I did it. That got me back in the habit. Then I found yoga and I really don't feel like I can function if I'm not on my mat, so for me, finding something I really love is key. I also really enjoy riding and will ride with my husband or a friend and look forward to post ride lunch/coffee dates.

Last edited by fyreflie24; 04-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote