Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Dealing with emotion by working out?

So I've had some pretty intense things going on in my life lately. I've been working out more to deal with them, but I've also been eating a lot less. when i'm unhappy, it makes me not hungry, so..lets just say I've been unhappy for a while. I've upped my work out during this time, but it usually involves running on an empty stomach or something. Anything advice for better ways to deal?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

I'll say first that I'm not an advice extraordinaire or anything.

Working out to deal with emotion, to me, doesn't really have to be a bad thing. It can be a good thing so long as you're doing it because it makes you feel good. If you get upset and go to work out as a way to physically beat yourself up about your emotions, that's not really so great.

Maybe if you're feeling blue, you can go for a walk, not a run. It's still exercise, can be tiring, and is still good for you. Walking around can also be a great way to clear your mind, which should help. Since you decide to go on an empty stomach, you should bring along a lunch or snack for when you get tired, and some water. Since you're not running, carrying a shoulder bag won't be a problem. I guess carrying a bag adds a little resistance too?

There's my two cents. I hope it helps in some way. I hope that whatever is making you unhappy will reveal a positive side as well!
RicecakeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I understand what you mean, when I get down sometimes I don't feel like eating either. Honestly, I just let it go and try to eat little bits of healthy things here and there. Like maybe I'll just nibble at some fruit, get some yogurt, try some soup, things like that because for whatever reason, my body just doesn't want food - but it still needs it. You don't want to make yourself sick obviously but just try to keep eating bits of things to keep you going.

If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me though. BTW, every time I see your picture I think that's the cutest thing ever, love the teddy bear. xD
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #4  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

you're lucky. cuz I think the majority of people are emotional eaters, which is why I got fat probably I have had a bad day, worked out and felt so much better and like I accomplished something. I think they say because of the endorphins, you feel better.

If I were you, if you are worried about working out on an empty stomach (cuz I think that's not too beneficial), maybe try one of those breakfast drinks. Carnation makes some. It's fast and puts some healthy calories in your body and fuels you for your run.

Sorry you have some intense things going on recently. Easier said than done when you're in the situation, but focus on the more positive things in life, such as your hard core determination that has you losing more than 30 pounds. and maybe your teddy too

good luck, kassie!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I think working out to deal with depression and stress can be a good thing as long as the overall effort is positive for a person (not leading toward an excessive behavior that can end up in injury or illness).

You might want to find ways to build support in your life, clubs, groups, church, friends, reaching out to family. Some people use therapy/counseling -- short or long term. Sometimes just having a hobby where you spend time with other people doing something you like can be a support in hard times.

It helps me to remember, too, that things don't usually last forever. kwim? like the song says, there's got to be a morning after. good luck with everything.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #6  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

There are all kinds of performance foods (I use Bloks) that can give you some carbs etc so you have some fuel for your workouts. A banana, apple... I love shakes... SOMETHING! Working out releases endorphins etc that can help with stress, depression, but at some point, the thing that's going to help deal with the core stuff 'cuz that's the only thing that really makes it go away. I was the queen of avoidance, masking with food and silence but it just made things worse in the long run.

Best of luck!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #7  

I can relate to what you're saying, whenever I'm a bit stressed out or dealing with some emotional issues, I like to put more effort into my workouts, or do more cardio.

There's even a scientific explanation for this.

When you exercise, your brain releases endorphins, adrenaline, serotonin and dopamine. These chemicals all work together to make you feel good. In addition, after exercising you may feel a sense of accomplishment and your muscles will relax deeper because of the workout – easing tension and strain.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

It takes something truly awful for me to lose my appetite. I can only remember it happening once or twice.

I think working out to deal with stress is a lot healthier than having a binge. That said, I hope you're eating enough and feeling okay.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Working out to deal with stress is the only way I made it through grad school. It's one of the reasons I made sure I got my gym time in despite my hectic schedule.

I don't have as much stress now, but when I do I also don't feel like eating. While you can be fine exercising on an empty stomach, my workouts are never quite as effective if I start getting hungry in the middle.

I think of the food as fuel at that point, and it helps me get some food in my system so I can go work out and deal with the stress. I may not actually want the protein shake or whatever, but in my head I'm saying: "this is going to help me work out better."

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-09-2012 at 06:48 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

About 4 months ago, I was so overwhelmed over a problem that I lost my appetite. This is rare for me. Even though I was hungry, and wanted to eat, I just couldn't eat! My energy was really low from lack of food. I managed by using meal replacement shakes, and then making myself eat a little bit of something at dinner time when the family sat down to eat together.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #11  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

I think that you DO need to make yourself eat. If it is a quantity thing- eat something healthy but high cal before working out. But working out, instead of eating is a monumental step on your journey. It really clicked in for me, when I started FORCING myself to work out instead of lets say, eating a pint of ice cream. At first it was "okay, im going to work out, and if i still want the ice cream, i can stop by the drug store and pick it up on my way after". now, I don't even need to dangle the ice cream "carrot" for myself to work out when upset. This is a positive lifestyle change- keep it up!!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I think working out- not to excess or anything - to deal with your emotions is very healthy. When I am down or having a hard time, I don't really feel like working out but then I make myself and it helps. I always eat a few figs or something little before I work out and have some ice tea on my counter I can drink while I am working out. They both help.
I think it is way healthier to work out than to overeat.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I always run on an empty stomach. Always. I dont fuel during runs until I get above 16 miles. There is no need to eat before working out.

If you are getting enough that you arent overall risking malnutrition and not exercising through injury or to the point of exhaustion dont stress about it.

Last edited by ennay; 04-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think the exercise is fine, even on an empty stomach. However, if you are still eating similarly to the foods you listed on another one of your threads my main suggestion would be to make sure the foods you DO eat are nutritious! My main concern would be if you are working out too much and eating too little leading to a rubberband type of situation. Just make sure you are taking care of yourself.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #15  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I always workout on an empty stomach. I think it's a perfectly healthy way to deal with emotion. Much better than eating your pain away . I'm sure my kids are glad I take my frustrations out on the gym, and not on them!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote