Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/160/130

Height: 5' 8"

Default Trying to lose weight in Korea

Hello, I'm kind of new here and I'm wondering if there is anyone else here that is in the same or similar situation as me. Right now I'm an English teacher in Seoul, South Korea, and I'm desperately trying to lose weight but failing miserably. I had hoped coming here would help me in my weight loss but I've actually gained weight. I try to eat Korean food and healthy things but I'm really stressed and often binge eat. Also, it's very easy to feel ostracized here if I don't go out to eat with the other teachers all the time. I'm trying to limit it to once a week but it's difficult. I don't know what to do.

A few years ago I lost 65 lbs but I gained back 20 after studying in Japan (why is it these skinny, supposedly healthy countries make me gain weight??) and I really want to lose the weight I gained back and finally reach my goals. (And I want to do it in a healthy way too - last time was not.) It's so hard seeing all these super skinny Korean girls walking around in their tiny clothes that I can never buy. And now that's it's getting to be spring it's even harder since I won't be able to hide under my long coat anymore.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's been in this situation - living in Korea, etc... Thanks.
kimkyu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2  

My family is from China/Hong Kong.
First, maybe you should start out with a higher goal? I'm not saying you shouldn't go to 120, but it is underweight (even in Asian standards) and will take a lot of calorie restriction-that is stressful and won't help with binging.
Even if the food is healthy-we can gain weight from eating too much of anything. Try the Mifflin St Joer calculator
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html
Enter your stats and subtract 500 cals from there and try starting out with that-that should result in 1 lb loss a week-for someone with your weight-an average one for your height-I think that that is a safe amount to aim for.
My coworkers and friends love to go out to eat. I just do activities with them or just get water when they go out to eat. I let them know ahead of time that I don't want to get anything, and I'd be happy to do any other activity, but usually they only want to go out to eat and don't care if I just get water. Yes, maybe some will comment, but I just ignore it.

Last edited by pixelllate; 04-08-2012 at 10:22 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I gained weight in Japan initially too, I mean come on - katsudon!!!

What's causing the binges? Are you spending lots of time alone? Might be better for your mental health if you avoid situations where you binge. Effects on your weight come second, binge eating is really a symptom of a greater ill and I know how sh!tty it feels to be "living the dream" in a foreign country and stuffing 7-11 candy down your throat in the wee hours.

As long as you're not eating samgyeopsal and those amazing cinnamon rice pancake things all the time, I'm sure Korean food will be healthy for weight loss. How is your proficiency in the language? What do local girls eat?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160/130

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm glad start talking with everyone here - I think it will help me a lot.

I think you're right about the binging - it's not something new, but it seems to get more out of control when I'm living abroad. It was the worst in Japan - I could not stop myself from going to the convenience store every night and buying tons of junk to eat. I'm trying not to do that now, but it still happens to often. Even after eating out with friends I still come home and load up on chocolate and chips and ice cream. I really need to get a handle on it but don't know how - I feel like I've read every book but it hasn't helped.

I feel like the Korean girls just eat what they want - the teachers I work with certainly do, and they are incredibly skinny. I don't know how they do it.

Actually I've only studied Korean for a year so it's pretty bad. I know more Japanese because I minored in it in college.
kimkyu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #5  

Your original post could have been written by me! With just some adjustment to your numbers, I have a very similar story. I know you posted this a long time ago. Are you still in Korea?
sonorangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/116/100

Height: 5'2"

I realise this is an old thread but I'm interested to hear from members in Korea how their weight loss experience is/has been like as I'm planning to go over next year for language studies. I keep telling myself, all the walking I'll have to do when I'm there will aid me in my weight loss/maintenance but on the other hand, I am obsessed with Korean food which is mostly high carb and that could be my downfall.
chunkie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #7  
it's always something

Sonorangirl, how long have you been there?

Chunkie89, I also love Korean food and I credit kimchi with helping with my weight issues. It hardly contains any calories, and you can't eat very much at a time. I eat some every day and will reach for it before something with more calories. It also contains probiotics, which is helpful for people like me that can't eat dairy/yogurt.

I do see where a lot of Korean foods can be tempting and hurt weight loss efforts. Oh, those yummy rice cakes Traditional Korean meals feature a variety of healthy side dishes, if you can avoid the bowl of rice.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 136/116/100

Height: 5'2"

Hi Suzanne, I love kimchi too, it makes a great side dish! Wary of the sodium though...

Oh the bowl of rice, so perfect with the various spicy stews. I usually limit myself to half a bowl max but if I do go over next year, I will probably cut it out completely to save some calories.
chunkie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #9  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I wish I had some advice on binge eating. I've struggled with it for so long.

I plan to go to SK after I complete my Masters degree but sometimes I worry I won't have lost any weight and I'm definitely not hauling my behind over there at this weight and with my food issues.

Korean food can be very healthy, but if you're binging at night it won't really matter. You'll need to get to the issues there. Maybe you're not eating enough during the day or eating foods that leave you hungry. Maybe you're emotional eating. Those are things you'll have to reflect on, I think, but like I said I'm still struggling with it. I do know that if I eat right during the day I'm less likely to binge at night.

Are you maybe using food as an excuse to get out of your apartment? Sometimes I do that even here. I use food as a reason to get out of the house.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #10  

A very helpful book that can be used with any diet is Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person". There is a very active Beck Diet Solution Thread on here.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote