Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

Default Me, without sugar

I am the daughter of two recovering alcholics. My whole life I have worried about being an alcoholic. Forced myself to not drink, stay in controll, be better. . And then the day came when I tried alcohol...and nothing..couldn't care less..
The funny thing I'd the whole time I was becoming a sugar addict. I funneled all my fears, worries and failures into eating, binging really. Total focused on the wrong drug.
I have been on IP for almost 4 weeks now and have faced one of the hardest moments..me without sugar.. And what have I learned. 1) I really am stronger than I thought..2) to live one moment at a time, 3) Failure is not fatal, 4) I do not need to control others..just me.
I cannot deny the role of sugar in my life anymore, as I have seen life without it. It is scary to be so dependent on something for my happiness, especially something so incapable of ever really creating happiness.
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

wow.... good for you! great thinking process - this is what will get you through to maintenance and for the rest of your life!!!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce wrap View Post
I am the daughter of two recovering alcholics. My whole life I have worried about being an alcoholic. Forced myself to not drink, stay in controll, be better. . And then the day came when I tried alcohol...and nothing..couldn't care less..
The funny thing I'd the whole time I was becoming a sugar addict. I funneled all my fears, worries and failures into eating, binging really. Total focused on the wrong drug.
I have been on IP for almost 4 weeks now and have faced one of the hardest moments..me without sugar.. And what have I learned. 1) I really am stronger than I thought..2) to live one moment at a time, 3) Failure is not fatal, 4) I do not need to control others..just me.
I cannot deny the role of sugar in my life anymore, as I have seen life without it. It is scary to be so dependent on something for my happiness, especially something so incapable of ever really creating happiness.
That's great you understand that about yourself. Almost sounds like something from an AA meeting. I know where you are coming from. I had both parents who were alcoholics (my dad died at 39 with cirrhosis of the liver). Your sugar addiction description sounds like my chocolate addiction. Yes, I too, thought what would it be like without chocolate; it was in my drawer at work, in my purse, have even hid it in the trunk of my car. Then the more stress, the more chocolate. Hence, I became the weight I was when I started IP. I'm so glad this program changes your chemistry and allows you to make these realizations about yourself.

Thanks for saying all of this and helping me face it like you have.
Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

You've learned a lot. it's so important to keep focused to reach your goal.

Sugar is an evil drug and is just as bad as gambling, drugs or alcohol. You'll overcome it and will be a strong, happier person! One day at a time!

Kudos to you!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/210/160

Default Great thoughts Lettuce Wrap!

Quote:
I was just looking at your stats and thinking that we're a lot alike (I started at 231 and am at 214 right now after 4 weeks) and then I read this post. My mom was an alcoholic, so I have struggled to make sure I don't follow in her footsteps.

The first thing I posted on Facebook about this diet was that I can't believe how strong I am and that I never thought I would be able to do this. Now, if I could just learn that I don't need to control others (I am such a control freak!)

Keep up the great work!!

Laura
Miss Laura B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Thank u for this. And congrats on identifying the demon, and taking it on.. Funny how those 12 steps work on each and every addiction. We are tougher than sugar, carbs, potatoes, whatever. just keep it in the moment and be grateful for the insights this program provides. Happy Passover and Easter all.
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Laura B View Post
I was just looking at your stats and thinking that we're a lot alike (I started at 231 and am at 214 right now after 4 weeks) and then I read this post. My mom was an alcoholic, so I have struggled to make sure I don't follow in her footsteps.

The first thing I posted on Facebook about this diet was that I can't believe how strong I am and that I never thought I would be able to do this. Now, if I could just learn that I don't need to control others (I am such a control freak!)

Keep up the great work!!

Laura
It is really a one day at a time thing. I am learning so much. I have done a lot of reading on adult children of alcoholics and have also gotten a lot of counseling a difficult journey but worthwhile in so many ways
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
That's great you understand that about yourself. Almost sounds like something from an AA meeting. I know where you are coming from. I had both parents who were alcoholics (my dad died at 39 with cirrhosis of the liver). Your sugar addiction description sounds like my chocolate addiction. Yes, I too, thought what would it be like without chocolate; it was in my drawer at work, in my purse, have even hid it in the trunk of my car. Then the more stress, the more chocolate. Hence, I became the weight I was when I started IP. I'm so glad this program changes your chemistry and allows you to make these realizations about yourself.

Thanks for saying all of this and helping me face it like you have.
Molly
Good luch to you! I think my eating patterns a a result of protective choices I made when I was very young..but I am not young anymore and can change that