Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Default if your total calories meet goal, can you have chocolate?

So I have been doing calorie counting for 3 months now and generally come way under my total calorie goal for the day. Then on the weekends i generally end up eating more, which I figure will balance it all out in the day and usually does (or would if i did record my calorie intake in those days which I end up not doing due to shame). Anyway, here's my question. I am eventually going to reach my goal weight and when I do, i want to continue with calorie counting, working out how much it will take to maintain weight then stick to those calorie intake or cycle it or whatever... but during maintenance, I want to eat chocolate. I dont want to spend my whole life avoiding chocolate because what kind of life is that to live? Or i want to be able to eat cheese and nuts because I do miss cheese! SOOOO much! So if I did find my total calorie intake to keep weight, does it matter what those calories are made up of? Can they be made up of chocolate or pizza or whatever unhealthy food? And please dont lecture me about "well yeah if you want to live an unhealthy life. I only eat healthy lettuce because I care about my health". We all have our food issues. has anyone who has reached their goal weight and has maintained it through calorie counting has unhealthy food as part of their occasional meal and still maintain their weight by sticking to their calorie intake?
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #2  
threenorns

you can have anything you want if you're calorie counting, so long as you keep your protein up and your calories in goal.

one thing you might want to try is zigzagging - your body doesn't actually care what you eat on a day-to-day basis; it's more interested in what you eat as a daily average over time. if you eat 1500/day, then you're eating 1500/day average. but you can swing your calories up and down from a low of 1200 to a high of 1800 and still have a 1500/day average.

this calculator here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm will give you the schedule if you don't want to do the math (click "7-day calorie cycle")

Last edited by threenorns; 04-07-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Yes, your calories can be made up of what ever foods you want. Most of them should be healthy, lower calorie foods for the sake of volume and satiety, but I am losing weight eating the occasional chocolate, cheese, pizza, etc., so I don't see why I can continue to do this to maintain weight, as long as I continue to be reasonable and honest with myself about portions.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree when calorie counting , no foods are forbidden as long as you stay in your calorie limit.
It is wiser , though to eat healthy, nutritious food.
PS I eat cheese every day and did when I was losing.
Now that I am it goal I sometimes eat chocolate but I still count calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I eat dark chocolate 1 piece I.e. 1 piece of Hershey's bar, though the serving size is one full bar. I eat it after lunch and dinner, 2 pieces per day.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

The greatest thing about calorie counting for me is I never feel deprived because no food is off limits provided I stay within my calorie limits.

I have been on 3FC since January 2011. During this time I have lost 107 lbs.
Also during this time I usually ate one meal a week at a pizza buffet, one meal a week was usually battered fish fry, I ate frquently at a Chinese buffet and I had ice cream each week.

Were these the most healthy food choices? NO. Would I have lost more if I had eliminated these foods? MAYBE Would I have felt deprived and given up my diet? PROBABLY.

mascara blue Back in the 70's while in the US Navy I had the good fortune to visit your city Perth, Western Australia. We docked at Freemantle and took the train to Perth. I spent 21 years in the Navy and visited 35 countries. The Australians are far and above the most friendly and fun people of any country I have ever visited. Kudos for your great hospitality!!

Larry

Last edited by Larry H; 04-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Every one talks about reasonable portion sizes for daily treats...what is that exactly? I could not continue without my daily dark chocolate. I usually have 2 dove squares after dinner wich is about 120 calories. I also have a chocolate vita muffin.(kind of a diet muffin with lots of fiber and some protein.)
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Work some chocolate into your calorie goal for the day. 50 to 100 calories (approx.) is okay to have.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara blue View Post
has anyone who has reached their goal weight and has maintained it through calorie counting has unhealthy food as part of their occasional meal and still maintain their weight by sticking to their calorie intake?
Yes, of course. I probably have some fairly nutrient-poor food every single day (e.g., popcorn, crackers, pretzels, tortilla chips, chocolate, cake, ice cream, etc.) and it hasn't hampered my weight maintenance at all. Like you, I don't want to live the rest of my life as an absolutist health-food zealot. No sirree, not for me.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

I'm trying to eat more of a primal diet for fitness purposes, but my philosophy is that as long as it's within the calories, you can eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post
Every one talks about reasonable portion sizes for daily treats...what is that exactly? I could not continue without my daily dark chocolate. I usually have 2 dove squares after dinner wich is about 120 calories. I also have a chocolate vita muffin.(kind of a diet muffin with lots of fiber and some protein.)
A daily dark chocolate is good for you anyway!

Every so often I just NEED chocolate and I know it's best to give in before I go nuts. I always try to make sure it's high quality dark chocolate...might as well get some health benefits out of it, right?

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-08-2012 at 04:53 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #11  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yes.

-as long as 2 or three pieces of chocolate doesn't turn into the whole bag.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/245/135

I've switched to Lifesavers instead of chocolate, because they last longer, but I'm all for anything you want within calorie limit. I kind of love to not eat something in anticipation of eating something particularly "naughty" later.
Nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote