Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Not discouraged, but not happy either..

So, I am totally not where I wanted to be with my weight loss at this point. I wanted to have surpassed the 20lb mark and be on my way to the 30lb mark, and I've been stuck again for the past two weeks. My diet isn't terrible, but sometimes I wonder if I'm miscalculating my food intake because I'm having to live off of cafeteria food and I'm having to eyeball all of my portion sizes. I got sick earlier this week, so I haven't been able to work out like I wanted to. I know I haven't been eating much, but it still doesn't seem to be enough. I know this all isn't supposed to come off immediately, but I have ideas of where I want to be by certain times and it just doesn't seem like I'm moving at a steady pace. Like for instance, I wanted to be in a size 16 by the end of the month, and my 18s right now are really just starting to fit better; they aren't loose yet.

With the exception of this week, normally I go to the gym for an hour every day, Mon - Fri. On Mon, Wed, Fri I do at least 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of some other machine, and on Tuesday and Thursday I do 15-20 minutes on the elliptical, and then 40-50 minutes on the weight machines. My calorie limit was at about 1870, but I lowered it to 1610 since I usually eat around that much anyway. I mean I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to, but the scale isn't moving and I'm frustrated. How can I step this up a bit to get to where I wanna be?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yeah cafeteria's can be tough. They might have the calorie count of stuff they carry every day though. It's worthwhile to ask.

For example, my work cafeteria serves grilled chicken every day and when I asked if they knew how many calories they told me 270, which seems like a lot for a 6oz piece of chicken. They must prepare it a bit differently.

I feel for you with the jeans. I keep saying oh, I guess another 5lbs for these 18s to fit well like every week, but every week they feel still the same.

Just don't give up. Keep going at 1600 and see if that helps. When did you lower it? Maybe the cafeteria lady is out to get you and what you think is 1600 is more like 2000. :/
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Just going by the stats in your signature, since January 30, 2012, you've lost 18lbs, roughly 9lbs a month, which is a very normal/good loss rate. You've also lost an entire clothing size in two months, which is also really good. It takes time, patience. You are losing, and it sounds like your have decent plan in place, just give it some time.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Just don't give up. Keep going at 1600 and see if that helps. When did you lower it? Maybe the cafeteria lady is out to get you and what you think is 1600 is more like 2000. :/
I lowered it at the beginning of the week, and usually we can serve ourselves -- I try to only get 1 spoonful of whatever I get, depending on what it is and how big the spoon is. I typically do my plate in thirds, 1/3 meat, 1/3 vegetable, and 1/3 starch and maybe a piece of fruit if I'm still hungry after that. Sometimes it varies though. I'll be better able to work this out once I graduate and move back in with my parents -- my mom even said she would buy me a food scale so I can weigh out my portion sizes, and I'm pretty excited about that.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #5  
too big to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I lowered it at the beginning of the week, and usually we can serve ourselves -- I try to only get 1 spoonful of whatever I get, depending on what it is and how big the spoon is. I typically do my plate in thirds, 1/3 meat, 1/3 vegetable, and 1/3 starch and maybe a piece of fruit if I'm still hungry after that. Sometimes it varies though. I'll be better able to work this out once I graduate and move back in with my parents -- my mom even said she would buy me a food scale so I can weigh out my portion sizes, and I'm pretty excited about that.
You might want to try 1/2 vegetable, 1/4 meat, and 1/4 starch. Count peas/corn/butternut squash as starch. Stick to lean meats like fish, chicken breast, and top round. Depending on how big the plate is that might still be too much.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Is there any way around the caf food? Are you in college in a dorm where it's truly unavoidable? Or are you in highschool and just eating there at lunch?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Is there any way around the caf food? Are you in college in a dorm where it's truly unavoidable? Or are you in highschool and just eating there at lunch?
I'm in college and I eat there for all of my meals except breakfast, which I eat in my dorm usually.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

That definitely makes it more difficult. I will think on it and come back if I think of a fabulous solution!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #9  
Kami

S/C/G: 318/287/160

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post

For example, my work cafeteria serves grilled chicken every day and when I asked if they knew how many calories they told me 270, which seems like a lot for a 6oz piece of chicken. They must prepare it a bit differently.
A 4oz chicken breast is 230 calories, so that sounds about right. I checked a few places a while back and got the same amount. Thats why I prefer my fish over chicken, less calories.
MamaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fact: you have no idea how many calories you're consuming and you never will eating cafeteria food.

The easiest solution would be to just ditch the starch and make up the difference with more meat.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

^^^^
THIS

John, youre about as blunt as i can b sometimes

meat and/or veggies

even that is still just playing guessing games.

No way to afford a home meal plan system? idk, like nutrisystem, or even slimfast type thing... at least then you could be sure on *most* of your cals..... you know "shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, sensible dinner"

Last edited by mkroyer; 04-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Does your caf have a fresh sandwich or salad bar? I would go heavy on that if I coud. Basic meats and veggies and you can control dressings etc. no added goo, oils or gravy.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #13  

You should also mix up your gym routine. Remember, our bodies are fascinating machines capable of adapting to become more efficient. Example, The first time you perform exercise "x", let's say you burn 500 calories. Well, your body will quickly adapt to perform that exercise more efficiently and make subtle changes in order to perform that task using less energy in order to retain resources. So by the 10th time you perform 'x', you might only be burning 100 calories.

Not too mention that as you lose weight that also helps your body to have to use less energy to move it. That's why it is vital to keep making your workouts more and more challenging just to keep the calorie burn the same!
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
You should also mix up your gym routine. Remember, our bodies are fascinating machines capable of adapting to become more efficient. Example, The first time you perform exercise "x", let's say you burn 500 calories. Well, your body will quickly adapt to perform that exercise more efficiently and make subtle changes in order to perform that task using less energy in order to retain resources. So by the 10th time you perform 'x', you might only be burning 100 calories.
Source? Efficiency might account for 10% at best and even that is far fetched.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #15  

Thanks for all of your advice!

Most days, despite the cafeteria food, I think I do okay. I try to make the best out of what I have. Like for instance, if all the meat is fried and they don't have any decent cooked vegetables, I usually just go for a cup of soup and/or a salad. And sometimes they have special healthy days, like today they had a fresh fruit bar so I went all out, lol. Had a cup of chili and some strawberries, grapes, pineapple, and cantaloupe! I was excited. Also I discovered they sell greek yogurt in a little snack bar they have in the building where all my classes are, which is great because I love having greek yogurt + fruit for breakfast!

I know I'm probably gonna have to change my workouts soon, but I really don't know what else to do. I like the elliptical because I feel like I get the best workout from it, since it's working both my arms and my legs and I'm always pouring sweat afterwards. I like the treadmill, too; I get a decent workout from it but every time I up the speed too much I always feel like I'm gonna slide off, lol. I don't like the bike machine cause it hurts my knees, and I'm too derpy for a stair master, lol. They do have a walk/jog track, so I might start doing that and alternate between walking and jogging. I do the weight machines for weight training cause I don't feel quite comfortable with doing free weights yet. My main thing is cardio -- I just don't know what else to do!

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 04-06-2012 at 12:05 PM.