Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Emergency IP meal choices

All,
Thought it would be beneficial if we had a thread with ideas on IP phase 1 compatible foods that can be used in "emergency" situations. For example, when all of a sudden you find yourself w/o IP packets and stuck in a situation where you need to eat something over the course of the day and have nothing with you.

What to do?

The obvious ideas I thought of were:
1. see if there's a Walmart nearby and buy some Pure Protein bars or shakes that fit the nutritional profile (I have never bought these, but heard about them). This assumes you have a car and time to run out and get them; big assumption.
2. If there's a cafeteria nearby (if you forgot to bring packets to work), see if you can get 2 hard boiled eggs or a chef's salad w/ extra hard boioled eggs and strip off the extras on it that we're not allowed. Use lemon and olive oil or just lemon for a dressing.

Leads me to think that perhaps we need (I need) to keep an emergency stash of IP drink mixes in my car and purse...but if you hadn't prepared that much yet, what could be done?

Other ideas?
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'2"

--I always keep a few extra packets at work.
--In the winter I kept a bar in my car but I don't think this summer it would work
as well since it is hot out!
--I keep a bar in my purse for those just in case moment!

These are just a couple of things that I do. I wish I would have done this when I first started. I went on a trip and miscounted my food for the weekend and was 1 short. Lets just say that was the longest 8 hour car ride home!

Can't wait to hear everyone else suggestions!
kneurohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #3  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Whoever suggested to use a water bottle by drinking a few sips and pouring a packet in is a genius. I have used this idea several times now. I always take a packet and a bar with me. If I did have an emergency, I would buy the EAS advantEdge carb control shakes at Walmart or any grocery store. You can always order a grilled chicken salad at any fast food restaurant too.
Hockeymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #4  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

I was on the road last weekend and found that Subway has spinach salad that you can add grilled chicken to. They even asked me if I wanted "extra" chicken (which I didn't, as I was planning to have more protein with dinner, but you could easily get your 5-8 oz of protein). You go through the line just like you do for their subs, but with the salad base and they'll put on whatever you want - red onion, peppers, you name it. I had them dress it with olive oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. Was really good.

And I agree - if you just have a packet with you, you can buy a bottled water and drink/pour out some and make the packet in the bottle. Just shake really well as it won't have the blender ball in it! I also found that the "blender bottles" were sold at my grocery store, so I bought an extra - one comes to work with me every day and one stays at home.

Last edited by momof2greatcats; 04-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2greatcats View Post
I was on the road last weekend and found that Subway has spinach salad that you can add grilled chicken to. They even asked me if I wanted "extra" chicken (which I didn't, as I was planning to have more protein with dinner, but you could easily get your 5-8 oz of protein). You go through the line just like you do for their subs, but with the salad base and they'll put on whatever you want - red onion, peppers, you name it. I had them dress it with olive oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. Was really good.

And I agree - if you just have a packet with you, you can buy a bottled water and drink/pour out some and make the packet in the bottle. Just shake really well as it won't have the blender ball in it! I also found that the "blender bottles" were sold at my grocery store, so I bought an extra - one comes to work with me every day and one stays at home.
I have done that many times at Subway. It is so great when you are in a pinch. It took me like 4 months to get the courage up to do something like this but it was so nice once I did it! Sometimes if I don't want to make a huge dinner we will go get Subway and it makes for a great dinner in a pinch or traveling!
kneurohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Omlettes with veggies are always a good option at a casual restaurant.
I keep a rtd shake in my office fridge and a few pudding packets in my purse.
And 1 days worth of supplements, although even then I occasionally forget!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #7  

Be careful where you go for omelets. At Ihop they put pancake batter in their omelets! They say it makes them fluffier.
sabredawn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Just had my chicken salad at Subway and here's another beware. I asked for oil and vinegar and they slopped all sorts of salad dressing/sauce on my salad! I asked if it was just olive oil and vinegar and they said yes but just looking at it I know it's not. I had to strategically lift off most of the vegetables (that's where the dressing went) so I could get as little of it as possible. Frack.

Next time I'm asking for any kind of dressing to be on the freakin side and I can go from there.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Well for me I try to always prepare for those situations, but it doesn’t always work out so well. I keep a pudding in my desk at work. Subway is great for salads, even the grocery store. I have stopped in there and picked up a bag of washed broccoli and cauliflower. And I always have an emergency bar in my purse!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #10  
Restarted IP 3/19/12

S/C/G: HW257 230/202.8/125

Height: 5'2

I keep a few IP packets in my purse and a baggie with two sets of vitamins I have found myself out much longer then expected or I will not be hungry then all the sudden I am starving and might make wrong choices so I have my go to stash in my purse. When I travel I keep my IP food in my carry on so there is no chance of the airline losing it in my luggage.
Pookiepotpie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Great thread idea. I have been out and forgot to take some peanut puffs or a bar or a premade shake, so I got a pre-packaged chef salad at Walmart or the grocery store, or a salad bar if they have one. The packets of WF dressing also come in handy. Today I ended up getting a protein bar, trying to find the one with the most protein and least amount of carbs/calories. There's alot to choose from now, and so many are loaded with sugars.

Haven't tried the subway idea, but they are everywhere, so that's a great idea.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #12  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
Just had my chicken salad at Subway and here's another beware. I asked for oil and vinegar and they slopped all sorts of salad dressing/sauce on my salad! I asked if it was just olive oil and vinegar and they said yes but just looking at it I know it's not. I had to strategically lift off most of the vegetables (that's where the dressing went) so I could get as little of it as possible. Frack.

Next time I'm asking for any kind of dressing to be on the freakin side and I can go from there.
Oh Poop... Grrr... At the one I went to they literally splashed the vinegar from the vinegar bottle and the oil from the oil bottle as I watched. Sorry they drowned your salad in "salad dressing."
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/173/150

Height: 5'6

when I find myself without packets or bars, I usually resort to a dill pickle, or celery and I scoop it with pico de gallo.. just to get me through until I get get another packet. Tuna fish on cucumbers (sounds gross but actually was great)..
leesa88210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 234/209/180

Height: 6'0"

Most grocery stores have pre-made salads that don't have a bunch of junk on them. I was surprised at how many of them carry at least some WF stuff - all the actual grocery stores in my area do, and I live in the middle of nowhere. The only one that doesn't? Walmart.
wendyquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Thanks for all the great ideas.
qsuzi1 is offline   Reply With Quote