Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default full fat dairy products ?

im just kind of wondering why do full fat dairy products have a seemingly bad impression amongst dieters?

if you have the calories budgeted for it , why does it matter?
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It doesn't. Fat, in general, has an undeserved bad rap in the dieting world. I think/hope that impression is fading. Dietary fat does not = fat on your bum any more than the same calories worth of carbs does.

I prefer full fat dairy because when you take out the fat it's usually replaced with sugar. I like my foods whole!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

thank you for shedding some light on that , you have lost a lot of weight its comforting to know i too can lose weight without giving up full fat dairy products ..... i dont like the low fat stuff it taste so .... ughh the idea of skim milk and skim milk mozerella and 60 calorie yogart was hurting my heart ! lol
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

im weird, i use only full fat cheese but i switch out milk for light vanilla silk lol it all depends on what is important enough to you to budget your calories for
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The bad wrap is based on bad science, plain and simple. Full fat dairy is preferable in almost all cases, when it comes to health (if not calories). Lower fat and skim products tend to either be skimmed of fat AND fat soluble nutrients, or replaced with sugar and starch.

I don't do a lot of dairy in the way of milk and icecream, because it doesn't digest well and I watch sugar, but butter, sour cream, cheese, full fat plain yogurt, kefir, and heavy cream are all excellent additions to my diet as condiments to the main courses of meat, veggies, and fruit

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

Yay Kefir!!!

I make my own at home, LOVE that stuff <3
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

There are certain dairy products that I refuse to eat the fat free versions of -sour cream is the biggest one. I find fat free sour cream to be disgusting! I also don't like low fat/fat free cheese, there's just something not quite right about it (to me).
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I eat regular dairy & cheezes too; full fat versions -- always have, except for 2% milk & 10 % cream. Yes, I have tried the very low & no-fat versions, and some of them are baaaad ... I do like yogurt ice cream though, and eat that only becuz I am/was lactose intolerant. I don't eat if often (once in a blue moon); but I can eat regular vanilla ice cream in 1/2 cup servings for some reason, but I digress.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I don't know about other people, but (with only a few exceptions) I rarely if ever eat the full fat versions of dairy. But the reason behind it isn't a diet - it's that if I eat the full fat stuff, it tends to trigger me to WAY overeat (the dairy or other foods). So I avoid it. And I like the lowfat stuff just fine. It doesn't taste the same, but after a while you forget and it does the job okay. But I don't eat much dairy now, anyway.

Except cheese. If I eat cheese with any fat in it, I have the same issue. Every time I try to control my portions, it's often a gentle but definite slope down into overeating.

Dairy is a trigger food. -sigh-

Last edited by LiannaKole; 04-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 259.5/ticker/140-160?

Height: 5'3"

Interesting, I didn't know any of this!!

I can't stand most no-fat yogurt, so I haven't been buying it anyway. But I've been eyeing the low fat sour cream and now don't know if I'll bother trying it...
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #11  

Dietary Fats: The good, the bad, and the ugly

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research...etary_fats.pdf - 2010-08-16

Fats and Cholesterol

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...rol/index.html

I only eat the low fat versions of all dairy products and not very much of them to save calories that way I can eat more of the other food groups. I take 500mg of calcium twice a day and a multi-vitamin so I’m sure I’m getting calcium. Most dairy products are fortified with calcium which means the manufactures adds it to the product.

I stopped drinking milk altogether, I find myself not eating as much milk products as I use to and I am leaning more towards fruits and vegetables which are more pleasing to me. The full fat versions of dairy products have some saturated and Trans fats in them and those are the Fats that get the bad rap. I use to be one of those people that couldn’t imagine living without a gallon of milk in the fridge and lived on cheese and loved all other dairy products. It was hard to cut down but it was making me fat.

Last edited by JEN3; 04-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

i freakin love fat free cottage cheese. i also have no problems at all with fat free greek yogurt. i've gotten used to skim milk, but i did hear somewhere a long time ago, that when you take the fat out of milk your body does not properly absorb the nutrients? don't know if this is true.

regular cheese is the one thing that i just can't go fat free on. it's so awful. i'll settle for reduced fat, and use sparingly.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

I tend to use skim milk, both because I don't mind the taste, and because I've read conflicting reports on what homogenization does to the milk and might do to the body. That being said, I will go nuts on some sour cream, full-fat cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt. I love dairy products, as they are a convenient source of protein and calcium. Many people argue that since most mammals lose the ability to digest lactose when weaned (including many people), we should take a hint and stop forcing ourselves to eat something we aren't meant to. But I am one of those people with the adaptive ability to digest milk, so yay me! I just budget accordingly with calories, and if I want sour cream, I'm going to eat it (sparingly). If it doesn't cause you any problems, I say enjoy!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Yay Kefir!!!

I make my own at home, LOVE that stuff <3
Oh do you make kefir at home? Pl give us recipe.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #15  
I can do anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
Oh do you make kefir at home? Pl give us recipe.
So so so so easy, BUT you have to get the grains to culture it. I have a friend that gave me some starter. You literally just pour milk on it and let it ferment at room temp for about 24 hours, then strain it and start again, with the same grains. We make smoothies with ours. Frozen fruit, Kefir, and local honey. Yummm

Last edited by ValRock; 04-03-2012 at 10:06 PM.