Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/197/129

Height: 5'3"

Default New here--could use some encouragement

Hi all, my name is Periwinkle. I already filled out the form on the Sticky post, but I thought I'd also introduce myself here.

I'm just starting a journey that will involve losing 68 pounds. I'm so overwhelmed by it I could cry (and have). For a long time I stayed out of photos, avoided mirrors, and was generally in denial. Turns out that feeling horrible about yourself and eating whatever you want to cheer yourself up is not a great long-term strategy.

I've yo-yo'd before (I have four kids and have dropped baby weight after each). But my youngest is 5 and so it's not baby weight anymore. I've lost 30-50 pounds before, but I was younger then and breast feeding. Now I have almost 70 pounds to go (waaaah!), some health concerns creeping up, have 4 kids between 5 and 11, work full time and am in school part time. I feel like the chances of me suceeding are so low, especially because every time I've lost weight I've just put it right back on again. I feel like I've tried everything--and now here we go again. Overwhelming and exhausting just thinking about getting back on the wagon!

So...Any words of encouragement? I've seen the posts here and success stories, which give me hope. But it's hard to imagine that could be ME. Anyone here feel like it was impossible and then experience success? How did you get started? What kept you going?

Thanks so much in advance for listening!

Peri
Periwinkle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Welcome! I don't know if I have any words of wisdom except, find a method of weight loss that works for you and stubbornly stick to it. If you have a bad day, know that tomorrow can be a good one. Don't give up. The feeling that this is an impossible mission won't go away - I still feel like it will be impossible to reach my goal. However, I am having a bad day today - maybe tomorrow it will seem doable. However, despite how impossible I think my mission is, I am stubbornly sticking to my plan. Despite setbacks, I get back on the horse. You can do it too.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

When I was first starting my weight loss journey the thought of losing 60 plus pounds seemed insurmountable. I decided to break it down into 5lb chucks, I could handle telling myself that I only had to lose 5lbs and after that I would go for another 5lbs. I also realized that it was not going to happen quickly, it was going to take time (10 months to reach my initial goal) and that I had to stay determined and not give up even when I had bad days or meals. I also had to look at this as a lifestyle change. yes, technically, I am on a diet but to be successful long term, it is all about changing your habits long term.
You CAN do it. It may be hard but it is doable.
Best of luck to you.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/197/129

Default Still Hanging in there

Thanks for the support! I have had 6 days OP now, which feels good. I've only worked out one day because I've been so hungry/low energy, but I'm hoping that once my body adjusts to the new "normal" I'll get muy butt off the couch.

A testament to my will power: there's half a bag of Fritos in the cupboard that I haven't touched. I know they are there and I occasionally check on them to make sure they're comfortable, but I haven't eaten any. Progress!

~Peri
Periwinkle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Welcome aboard Periwinkle! I can completely understand how you feel. I have lost and gained the same 50-70-some lbs. for as long as I can remember. It's truly different for me this time. I set up short term goals this time and I also didn't focus too much on the weight. I know that sounds crazy, but I noticed that the more I focused on staying on track and the less I focused on the scale, the better I did. The scale can really mess with your mind because you can be doing everything "right" but it either doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction so you wanna throw in the towel. What's the point, right? Well, the point is that when you stay on your plan (and you gotta find the one that's right for you...which may require some trial/error), you are experiencing many changes and not all of them are necessarily visible. Also, this process takes time. Your motivation will come and go, but if you can just commit to the process, you absolutely WILL get there. Take it one day at a time and just only focus on that day or that week. Have a plan if you feel temptation. I'm really into gum chewing. Yep, I said it. If there's chain smoking, then I'm chain chewing...not super healthy but better than a tub of Nutella and a loaf of bread. I could go on and on, but that sums up a lot of it. I really hope you'll stay here, check in often, post and enjoy gaining confidence. Btw, if you fall off track, just pick yourself up and move on. If I binge (and I do binge), it takes about 4 days to recover but the key is to get right back on track as soon as possible. You may stay on plan the whole time, but if you don't, then don't let it derail you for a long time. Dust yourself off and you'll be feeling better in no time.

Last edited by luckymommy; 04-02-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: btw
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 143/138/119

Height: 5'1"

You already have had such lovely posts in response but I just wanted to add that I have found it really helpful to go and look at the success stories from time to time. I just read here among the forums and it usually picks me up.

I don't have a large amount to lose this time (I have lost larger amounts in the past) but it still felt like a lot to me when I got started again but I just focus on one kilogram at a time. Don't think about the long term goal...just make today successful.

I wish you all the very best. It sounds like you are one busy lady! You can do this I know that because there are soooo many successful people here...check out many of the tickers! Amazing!

Lee
Lee NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
When I was first starting my weight loss journey the thought of losing 60 plus pounds seemed insurmountable. I decided to break it down into 5lb chucks, I could handle telling myself that I only had to lose 5lbs and after that I would go for another 5lbs. I also realized that it was not going to happen quickly, it was going to take time (10 months to reach my initial goal) and that I had to stay determined and not give up even when I had bad days or meals. I also had to look at this as a lifestyle change. yes, technically, I am on a diet but to be successful long term, it is all about changing your habits long term.
You CAN do it. It may be hard but it is doable.
Best of luck to you.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Break it down into 5 lbs increments and it's not nearly as overwhelming and before you know it those 5 lbs start adding up.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I recommend that you toss that bag of Fritos in the garbage. If you are like me you will eventually eat them. I try to not buy things like chips and other higher cal foods. It's just not a good idea for me. Also, I tend to not think that I am on a diet. I'm not following any plan other than my own. I try to stay within 1500-1700 calories per day and exercise. As I have said before, this isn't rocket science, eat less and exercise more. That really is all there is to it and you can do this, just try not to get overwhelmed with the amount that you want to lose.

Last edited by lyv33; 04-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3

I think I could've written that exact post Periwinkle. You are in about the same place as me.
I have 5 kids and am upper 40's and the weight I need to lose is the same as yours about.
How's it going? Have you started a plan that works for you?
Candy5 is offline   Reply With Quote