Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1  
threenorns

Default the one year deadline doesn't just apply to dieting...

i'm referring to the saying "a year from now, do you still want to be staring at the starting line wondering if it's your turn yet?"

one of the things that's held me back from weightlifting is, well.... there's no gym. we have one of those chi-chi-foo-foo "curves" type rigs but it's absolutely no help at all for what i want and they limit how long you're allowed in the club (probably bec it measures 15x20 and if there's more than 3ppl in at the same time, it's a problem).

the nearest ***gyms*** - with, you know, actual *poundage* on an actual *weight rack* - are a 40min drive in one direction or an hour drive in the other.

i looked into buying my own set and the sticker shock once the shipping was added nearly finished off what the hypertension started.

today i was at the pharmasave in town and happened to pass by their dinky little "fitness" section. as usual, right down at the bottom shelf just above the floor, there were the barbie weights - brightly coloured, 1lb, 2lb, and 4lb. as usual, i picked up the 4lb weight trying to see if there was *something* i could do with it but... no.

this time, though, something made me look behind them - WAY behind. and there, rolled all the way to the back, was a black dumbbell. i grabbed it and thought "oo! heft!" - it's a 10lb-er!

only the one - nobody knows what happened to the other and the price tag on it is yellow with age - but you know what? it's a start!

one year from now, i could still be moping about not having access to a gym or i could have maybe a cpl more dumbbells but one thing's for sure: i'm gonna have great biceps!

Last edited by threenorns; 03-31-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #2  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm so glad you found that dumbell! It was meant for you!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #3  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i found a set of weights at walmart for about $40 that allows you to put up to 20lb on each bar and has a hard plastic storage case. i love it.

if you have one nearby, that might be worth looking into!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #4  
threenorns

on google maps, check out "minden, ontario".

it's an hour's drive to the nearest *macdonald's*, lol.

for now, i'll keep using my resistance bands (which is getting a bit ridiculous: i bought the "extra heavy duty" ones and i'm using them tripled up) and my 10lb dumbbell but eventually, I WANT A FREAKIN' WEIGHT SET - 45lb olympic bar and plates in 5lb, 10lb, 25lb, and 45lb increments on an ugly home-welded rack.

i want the floor covered with ugly black rubber matting.

i want chalk dust floating in the air.

i want Zatox or HeadHunterz on the radio being DJ'd by Nikkita.

i want powerlifting and MMA champions postered all over the walls.

i want the cops hammering at the door bec someone reported a wild animal has been locked in the garden shed.

and who knows - maybe some of the dweebs around town will have something else to do than sloth around under the bridge smoking pot all day.

sorry - i'm a little frustrated.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Probably a long shot for you, but keep your eye out on Craigslist too for as far as you are willing to drive. People dump fitness stuff for cheap all the time.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #6  
threenorns

yeah - i've been eyeballing kijiji, craigslist, and freecycle but i don't drive. right now, i'm a G1 and we can't afford the insurance hike for me to get my G2 yet. probably not for another year. but i'm looking.... =S
Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You don't need a gym or weights to lift weights.

Pushups, pull up bar, and resistance bands are all you need.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #8  
threenorns

that's fine for normal exercise/bodybuilding.

not for what i'm interested in.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post

Ok I'll bite.

What are you interested in? Abnormal exercise?

This is a serious question. I am baffled because after reading your first post where you say "...one of the things that's held me back from weightlifting..."
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post

Of course do whatever feels right for you, but I'm going to second John on this one. You can do the entire P90X series with just resistance bands and a pull-up bar, and trust me when I say that it is a killer strength training routine.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Actually I'm not a fan of P90x. Too much exercise for the average person to commit to. If someone is in good shape and wants to get in better shape than P90x is good but as a fat loss tool or a muscle gain tool I think there are better options. P90x is really a muscle endurance/cardio routine dispite the marketing campaign.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #12  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

Just be careful if you're first starting out. You don't want to jump right into something that's too heavy or you could hurt yourself.

ETA: Are you trying to get into body building or something? For toning you don't even really need to buy weights at all.

Last edited by BananaMontana; 03-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #13  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Probably a long shot for you, but keep your eye out on Craigslist too for as far as you are willing to drive. People dump fitness stuff for cheap all the time.
This. Craigslist can be a great source for this.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #14  
threenorns

i want to get back into powerlifting. there's a strongman competition should be happening this september and it'd be nice to do better than the 3rd place i took in 2010.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Actually I'm not a fan of P90x. Too much exercise for the average person to commit to. If someone is in good shape and wants to get in better shape than P90x is good but as a fat loss tool or a muscle gain tool I think there are better options. P90x is really a muscle endurance/cardio routine dispite the marketing campaign.
I wasn't advocating that she do P90X, I was just using it as an example of strength training without free weights. Though I do P90X and personally I don't think the cardio is challenging enough, so I substitute other workouts and just do the strength training.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote