Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default Phase 4 Meal/Snack Ideas

Since Phase 4 is so wide open in terms of choices, I guess on purpose..., I found it confusing and scary to start it. So, I thought a thread with just ideas on foods, what the experienced people have used that worked, would be helpful for those of us just starting it, or planning to start soon. I really want to understand this stuff to where I don't screw up my body again, never again.

The IP info is not real specific on some quantities, calorie limits, etc. You can have unlimited vegees, so I guess you could just use some as snacks. You can have those forbidden potatoes, carrots, etc., and IP doesn't limit the amount or frequency, but it seems to me that I want to use caution or I'll end up with a pancreas in overdrive again.

What a 'serving' is...you have to read the labels on the foods you get. There must be an industry standard of calories or some limit that defines what a serving is, and it will vary with each product.

Snacks:
You can have a snack and a dessert now. I am finding I need something late morning and afternoon, so maybe I'll be splitting a serving of a snack into two. I still really want my evening dessert. I see now why everybody likes the packaged bars, as the calories really are low for the protein you get. I like them too, but am also trying to have simple things I can make.

I thought maybe snacks before lunch should be more like lunch, i.e., low carb but some fat, and the same goes with the afternoon snack, that it should look more like dinner. The IP guy tonight said it didn't matter. A coach there suggested I focus on snacks with a good protein content more than how many carbs or fats they have, as long as the carbs were slow carbs. She suggested milk, almond milk, yogurt or string cheese. I really like hummus, but since it has olive oil in it, I thought it had to wait until splurge day. This coach said she thinks that when it is a combo of healthy carb/oil, it is okay to have together, and the amount of oil in it is not much. I don't know.

Breakfasts are pretty well laid out by the Phase 3 chart, grains, dairy, protein, fats...with limits on your grams of each as well as calories. You just keep doing that for Phase 4.

Late Morning Snack

Lunches are low/no carb but some fat. So, basically, you can take your lunches that you were making since Phase 2, i.e., not an IP packet, but some animal protein with the vegees, and are allowed more fat than before, like some cheese or nuts, yogurt or 1 tbsp olive oil (they say at least 1 tbsp).

Late Afternoon Snack

Dinners are complex carbs but low/no fat. I was told that I could still use my 2 tsp olive oil to do my stir-fry of vegees, just not stuff like Alfredo sauce. So, it is the same as Phase 1, but now with a serving of a complex carb added, like a good whole grain pasta, or brown rice or black beans. If I use any cheese, it is a fat-free version.

Dessert You are allowed a serving of fruit at dinner, and so far I have taken that fruit and had 1/2 serving of that with 1/2 serving of Fat-Free Greek Yogurt for an evening dessert. I plan to have IP snacks or drinks, and will try some of the cheaper alternatives too. It sounds like an evening snack with low fat is better than one with lots of fat, because your body is now processing the complex carbs.

Sorry, this post went longer than I thought it would. As I get more meals under my belt, I will post the specifics. I'd really appreciate it if experienced Phase 4'rs or newbees who understand this stuff would do the same.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

So far, I have made:

Dinners with "Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Pasta," black rice and kidney beans (in chili). The pasta and rice were just added to the big salad, with the chicken/turkey/pork and vegees I was having that night. The pasta is really nice and chewy and flavorful. I made two sauces. For the pasta, I used WF Italian, fat-free feta and herbs processed until smooth; for the rice, I used WF apricot spread, apple cider vinegar, tamari and lots of fresh basil. They were really good.

Dessert/Snacks: I made a sort of weird TVP (textured vegetable protein) oatmeal. It is the stuff that is in the IP soy patty mix. If you microwave it long enough and add cinnamon, stevia and almond milk, it almost tastes like real oatmeal, but with very little carbs and more protein. Just made a shake for dessert with the IP banana pudding, water, ice and frozen banana (from my dinner fruit) and it was just plain delicious. Just ordered strawberry pudding and will try frozen strawberries with it... this could be a summer habit. Either making shakes or freezing them into popsicles, but the real fruit makes a huge difference.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #3  

I am new to this and i dont have a clue to what i am doing today is the first day of phase 4
Fennaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennaz2 View Post
I am new to this and i dont have a clue to what i am doing today is the first day of phase 4
Here's some help:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-2-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-3-a.html

Remember you can eat a bit of everything for breakfast (better not to have processed combos of fat & sugar carbs ie a danish), the other two meals need to be: one mainly a fat meal 3g fat to 1g carb, the other the reverse mainly a carb meal 3g net carb to 1g fat.
Examples of some of the meals maintainers have eaten over the past 3 years or so are above. Copies of their meals are downloaded from My Fitness Pal which gives you the numbers.

Got any questions?? send me a PM here

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennaz2 View Post
Me too! I'm scared to death.
Renhen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/149.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Don't be scared. You just have to try things out and see what works. I have been in maintenance now for only about a month, but I have stayed +/- 1 pound during that time. For me, it has been all about trying to pay attention without super stressing out about it. I have found that the concept of eating a nice filling breakfast, medium size lunch and smaller dinner has worked for me. I've even had a few glasses of wine from time to time. And, it's still OK. Enjoy - and be proud that you got here!
arimartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/149.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I also found this website that has some really good recipes - www.lowfatlowcarb.com - all kinds of good ideas. It's not all just low fat low carb, there are lots of options.
arimartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Nice to find some good recipes out there, but remember that you no longer need to be as low fat once you are in maintenance. The reason for the IP plan with low fat AND low carb was so that the necessary fat is pulled from your onboard pantry while you are trying to lose weight. Once you reach your goal weight/body fat % you no longer have a large pantry to pull from, so you must up the amount of energy you are taking in. Energy does not need to be carbohydrates as the body breaks down fats into free fatty acids to use for fuel. It's the combination of high fats and high carbs at a single meal that causes insulin spikes to store the fat you are ingesting instead of using it.

Hope all is going well!
Cheers!
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote