Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Accountability & Alternatives

I started IP last June and managed to lose about 30 lbs by mid August. I thought I could control my eating by using alternatives and do it on my own. But then majorly fell off the wagon and gained all of it back.

My weeks just run together and I had no accountability. I would be 100% for a couple days and then cheat a couple days. I would go down, up, down, up, etc, but never getting anywhere.

I have been 100% now for 3 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. But we found out that insurance isn't covering our daughters speech. I feel I should quit again and do alternatives because they are cheaper and to save $$$.

But I am scared of the lack of accountability. If i lose 3 lbs/week, I could impossible be at my goal weight in 8 weeks = another $1k when you think about food and vitamins.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

I have never done the alternatives but I would guess that there are rules and if you stick to those rules then you will see improvement. I understand financial concers and see your point but I think no mater which you pick, accountability is about sticking to the rules..even when that sucks
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1978 View Post
I started IP last June and managed to lose about 30 lbs by mid August. I thought I could control my eating by using alternatives and do it on my own. But then majorly fell off the wagon and gained all of it back.

My weeks just run together and I had no accountability. I would be 100% for a couple days and then cheat a couple days. I would go down, up, down, up, etc, but never getting anywhere.

I have been 100% now for 3 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. But we found out that insurance isn't covering our daughters speech. I feel I should quit again and do alternatives because they are cheaper and to save $$$.

But I am scared of the lack of accountability. If i lose 3 lbs/week, I could impossible be at my goal weight in 8 weeks = another $1k when you think about food and vitamins.
Lettuce has a good point, in that your commitment to the program, whatever program it is, comes first and foremost. When I switched to alternatives, part of my motivation came from determination to make it work, and NOT spend thousands of dollars, which I do not have. Second, I spent a ton of time reading the boards. I got enormous inspiration and motivation right here -- after all, if all of these people can do it, so can I. My first big challenge was the Thanksgiving holiday, away from home. I planned EVERY SINGLE meal, creating OP treats that helped me feel like I was eating right along with everyone else. Finally, every pound that came off gave me incentive to keep going. All these things can help you too, if this is what you really want. Good Luck!
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1978 View Post
I have gone the alternative route due to cost and order products from Proteinwell as well as obtaining them from costco. My daily cost has been reduced to under $5.00

Breakfast - Protein Shake from Costco $1.50
Lunch - Item from Proteinwell $2.00
Snack - Detour bar from Costco $ .99 (restricted)

I sometimes switch up my evening snack with a different product from Proteinwell which would add on an extra dollar.

I'm from Canada and as long as you order 100.00 worth of products online they will ship for free.

If you want we can keep each other accountable, I still weigh in each wednesday and know that I will need to continue that even after the program ends in order to notice "creep" before it amounts to anything substantial.
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #5  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I understand...I lost 86 pounds kept it off for 8 months and then in the last two months I have gained about 10, but was up 15 the other day. I am doing alternatives....because I have to make myself accountable. I need to learn how to keep myself on track.

you can do this...just make yourself. check in here everyday...I find that helps me. I cannot wait to lose the 15 I am up.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #6  
ReBoot 1/5/2015

S/C/G: 234.6/229/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm also doing only Alternatives. Because of cost and just got laid off again this week for the second time this year.
I buy powdered protein drinks with a high protein gram count and make sure it includes the amino acids. I've also been getting the pure protein bars. and really look at all the recipes, so I won't get bored.

I think about my motivation for losing weight at least once a day and I count my blessings for every little improvement no matter how small.

One thing that helps me is that I weigh myself every single day and write it down. If my weight goes up at all - I can easily recall what I did the day before that caused this.

Good Luck
chrishas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I find the food log and just plain journaling keeps me focused on the program. Obsessed, actually, but my short-term memory is so bad that I simply would not remember what I ate or did, if it were not written down. I have enjoyed going into the clinic with my questions and the support they give, but really, the drive has to come from within us. Journaling helps me to deal with the emotional and mental things going on, this board helps with ideas and encouragement.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. You can do this!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
I find the food log and just plain journaling keeps me focused on the program. Obsessed, actually, but my short-term memory is so bad that I simply would not remember what I ate or did, if it were not written down. I have enjoyed going into the clinic with my questions and the support they give, but really, the drive has to come from within us. Journaling helps me to deal with the emotional and mental things going on, this board helps with ideas and encouragement.

I'm doing this w/o a coach and using less than 20% IP, rest is alternatives but following protocol 100%. I was on IP 18 months ago, fully with coach. Now w/o, I feel even more supported due to this website.

I weigh myself everyday. I journal using the sheets my coach gave me 2 years ago, I just keep making copies of them so I have a supply. I have my "formal" weigh in at home on Tuesday mornings. I treat this very seriously because I want to lose weight.
Through Nashua Nutrition, you can buy 1 box of 7 packets for an average price of $10.95, so a week is $33. Buy a few weeks at once, you have variety and free S&H.

If you want to make this work, you can, its up to you whether you have a coach or not. Consider this, all of us will be your coach and be accountable to check in here daily and weigh in weekly. Seriously. I do it, it works.

Last edited by Chloe222; 03-28-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #9  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
I'm doing this w/o a coach and using less than 20% IP, rest is alternatives but following protocol 100%. I was on IP 18 months ago, fully with coach. Now w/o, I feel even more supported due to this website.

I weigh myself everyday. I journal using the sheets my coach gave me 2 years ago, I just keep making copies of them so I have a supply. I have my "formal" weigh in at home on Tuesday mornings. I treat this very seriously because I want to lose weight.
Through Nashua Nutrition, you can buy 1 box of 7 packets for an average price of $10.95, so a week is $33. Buy a few weeks at once, you have variety and free S&H.

If you want to make this work, you can, its up to you whether you have a coach or not. Consider this, all of us will be your coach and be accountable to check in here daily and weigh in weekly. Seriously. I do it, it works.
I ALSO buy from Nashua. In Sept 2010 I did IP for 5 months with the clinic/coach/IP food and lost 60 pounds...I did an additional 3 months with alternatives and lost another 25 pounds. I maintained for 8 months with my weekly phase one days with alternatives...but the last 2 months...I did NO phase 1 days and bam....15 pounds.

I have made a 6 week commitment but I am using the following:

Muscle milk light shakes (almost identical to IP)...I buy them at Target for around $6 a four pack or Nashua hot chocolate for breakfast

Lunch I use either a shake, choco cake packet from Nashua or chips from Nashua

Snack after dinner either an Atkins bar or a bar from Nashua

I know the cake/chips at lunch are higher in carbs (around 9-10) but the calories are okay (120-130) and it still works.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone! I guess my other problem was emotional eating. Today was a really TOUGH day in multiple directions. But I 99% of the way stayed way from emotional eating. I did sneak 1 chicken nugget and 1 fry from my daughter. That was a lot better then totally breaking down and eating fast food (like general) or eating a 1/3 of a sheet cake like 2 weeks ago.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187.4/ticker/145

Height: 5'10"

Has any one used ProtiDiet products. I have just changed to use them rather than IP. I had lost 25 lbs with 10 to go and went on a trip 2 months ago. I couldn't get back on track and I gained 20 lbs back. I will have a good day at times. After 3 pm is a killer for me. I have been eating almonds, that's a downfall for me. With Protidiet products they have less carbs in most products than IP and it says to have one in am and one med morning. I just wish I could be back on track like I did before, it's so frustrating... Becca, I know what you are saying about emotional eating, that's why I gained it back

Last edited by natalie70; 03-28-2012 at 09:05 PM.
natalie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/112/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post

This. I have tried a number of diet programs over the years, some successful and many not. While none have been as successful as fast and with as little hunger as IP (so far), the one thing that all the successful ones for me had in common was my being required to log every morsel that entered my mouth and any exercise, plus journaling to help with the emotional eating.

We will be here to support you fully in whichever direction you go.
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie70 View Post
Has any one used ProtiDiet products. I have just changed to use them rather than IP. I had lost 25 lbs with 10 to go and went on a trip 2 months ago. I couldn't get back on track and I gained 20 lbs back. I will have a good day at times. After 3 pm is a killer for me. I have been eating almonds, that's a downfall for me. With Protidiet products they have less carbs in most products than IP and it says to have one in am and one med morning. I just wish I could be back on track like I did before, it's so frustrating... Becca, I know what you are saying about emotional eating, that's why I gained it back
Many of us use Proti-Diet and Proti-Thin. Check the Alternatives thread.
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #14  
Starting WB 2/11/13

S/C/G: 266.2/201.8/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
I have gone the alternative route due to cost and order products from Proteinwell as well as obtaining them from costco. My daily cost has been reduced to under $5.00

Breakfast - Protein Shake from Costco $1.50
Lunch - Item from Proteinwell $2.00
Snack - Detour bar from Costco $ .99 (restricted)

I sometimes switch up my evening snack with a different product from Proteinwell which would add on an extra dollar.

I'm from Canada and as long as you order 100.00 worth of products online they will ship for free.

If you want we can keep each other accountable, I still weigh in each wednesday and know that I will need to continue that even after the program ends in order to notice "creep" before it amounts to anything substantial.
What is the Protein Shake from Costco called? I would like to go and look at it.
lindsayk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Hi, Just a request, could we try to keep long alternative discussions to the alternative discussion thread? there was concern from some IPers about having to go past so many alternative threads to find info on the actual program. I am going to copy the original question over there.
Of course everyone is free to post whatever they want where ever they want but it does make the board less cluttered if we group common topics.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote