Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

Post New Vegetarian

I Am On My Third Week Of Being A Vegetarian And I Can See A Difference Already. After Reading The Book Skinny *****, It Gave Me A Good Kick In The Pants To Jump Start My Journey. I Am Impressed With How Many Great Meat Substitues Are On The Market , And So Delicious Makes And Awesome Dairy Free Ice Cream! I Dont Know If Its Just Me But Has Anyone Else Experienced And Tiredness After Becoming A Vegetarian? Not That I Have Plans To Go To To Meat, I Have Not Taste For It At All Any More, Plus I Think About The Animals I Am Saving. I Am Eating Alot Of Veggies, Tofu And Grains... I Just Dont Know Why I Feel So Tired All The Time.
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I'm not a vegetarian but over the last few weeks, I have been following a vegetarian lifestyle at least 6 days a week. Although I do allow myself 1 day to have VERY little ground turkey, ground chicken or Tilapia and when I do eat that, I really wish I hadn't. I am thinking more and more of going 100% vegetarian. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOO much better when I eat only veggies, meatless meat, tofu, etc. And I AM losing weight without all of that meat. I don't feel tired. In fact, I have more energy and I don't have any cravings for meat.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'm not a vegetarian but I was for a long time.

I always think of my vegetables first when I'm planning a meal. I never (and have never) thought of vegetables as a "side" like so many others. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a "one pot meal," so I usually don't use many substitute meat products. There are certain things, though, like meatballs that I'll sometimes make with spinach or I make a stir fry or noodle bowl without even contemplating putting meat into.

One of my best friends decided to become a vegetarian and had no idea what to make. I told him that he probably eats vegetarian meals, but never thinks about it: pasta/veggies with sauce, pizza, loaded baked potatoes, rice and beans, mac and cheese, burritos, quesadillas. I was right!

Last edited by Munchy; 03-29-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm flexatarian at this point but spent 10 yrs veg/vegan.

Consider a multivitamin, get enough sleep. And get a copy of "The Vegetarian Way" to help you keep it balance.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Vegetarian.../dp/0517882752

New vegetarians often become "grain-atarians" and lack in produce.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-29-2012 at 04:17 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

your right that is probaly what is it, I am checking the book out now. thank you
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 13.3/12.10/9

Height: 5'4"

I'm a vegetarian but when I went vegan I got quite ill from not getting all of the right vitamins. I would defintiely suggest a multivitamin - try one of the higher end ones such as those from Solgar to ensure you get the best
Psyence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  

Along with checking out that book, you are probably lacking B12. This is a vitamin you can ONLY get from animal protein, and it is essential in producing red blood cells. I think I am deficient in it also and plan on picking up a bottle today!
happyfoodholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I am not vegetarian but I just wanted to say to make sure you are getting enough protein. Your body is made of billions of different types of proteins, and you need the basic amino acids from protein sources to assemble these for your cells. It is a little tougher to make sure you get your macronutrient balance right when veg or vegan, but there are many resources online to reference this. If your body can't repair itself, this may be the reason for your fatigue. That, and what the poster said about b12- it is essential, and only available from animal sources (and vitamins, of course!).
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

I have been a vegetarian for almost 13 years and along the way I allowed myself to get lazy about it and get fat (my reason for vegetarianism is ethical, not health related so that definitely contributed to me letting things get out of hand). I was eating so much bread and cheese and not enough protein and veg. Make sure you put in the work to figure out how to properly (and healthily) balance your meals.

If you are tired I would suggest taking iron and B12 supplements.

Good luck!
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

I began a vegetarian lifestyle after I read the book Veganist by Kathy Freston. I was amazed at what is in the foods that we eat on a daily basis and how our animals are treated before they get to our plate.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #11  

I became a vegetarian about 4 months ago and I have seen a major difference! I just FEEL better and healthier. I ate healthy before, chicken breast, white fish, etc. But without the meat I just feel clean, I have more energy, and my concentration is better. I take b12 vitamins too!
SkinnyMinnieMoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #12  
the muse of memory

Hi! I want to echo the protein issue - many vegetarian protein sources do not make complete proteins, i.e. they do not have alll of the essential amino acids in one place. Thus, you need to combine most legumes with some sort of whole grain over the course of your day in order to get complete proteins, and you do need to work a bit harder to get complete proteins, especially if you are going full vegan.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Anyway, make sure you are getting enough protein. If you are relying strongly on beans for protein, make sure you also eat some sort of whole grain that day. If it helps, combine them during meals (although that is not necessary) by layering a serving of vegetarian chili over brown rice. Quinoa, soy, and the mycoprotein in Quorn products are complete proteins and do not need to be combined with grains. Again, the combinations need not happen at the same meal, but rather in the same day.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #13  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

I'd say your probably not eating enough of the veggies and fruit add more of those and see how ya feel. I'm new as well and I feel the same way right now but I think it's just that I'm not eating enough.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #14  

I Have been on eat to live for the last six or seven months I feel better than I've ever felt in my life with no meat no sugar no Dairy the changes amazing.
SimplySandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #15  

Since it's says "New Vegetarian", I just want to ask something. I don't really want to be full time vegetarian but I want my food to be more or almost vegetables. I'm taking things slow so my cravings (for meat) can adapt. Any tips on how to do it or how to make it a little bit easier?
ashleybrook05 is offline   Reply With Quote