Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Default I've lost 15 pounds - 90 to go - and I can't tell if I'm just imagining looking diff?

I feel different and think -- think -- that I might look a little different. I think my stomach might protrude less, anyway. But I still can't tell if I'm imagining it. I just updated my blog and posted some (admittedly blurry ipod) pics; it'd be great if I could get an honest opinion.

I'm still trying every day to get a firm grip on reality and accept myself the way I look now. Not like, or condone, but at least accept. I've spent so long running away from mirrors and avoiding cameras that I've allowed myself to be deluded into thinking I'm smaller than I am. Only now am I really beginning to grasp the gravity of what I have done to my body, and how I really look.

Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #2  

I can definitely see a little difference! You're also standing up straighter it looks like. Are you working out? It looks like you are! I'm right about where you (lost 16ish pounds) and I'm struggling with seeing a difference too, but my clothes are a little loose. Just know that it's happening even if you can't always see the results. Especially if you are working out and building muscle.

Keep up the good work!
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

I can see a difference! Your bra looks like it fits better now too.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  
Started IP 01/06/2014

Height: 5'7''

I definitely see a difference in the tummy and bottom areas. Perhaps it would be easier for you to see a difference if you took pictures of yourself in the same outfit.
Emmcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Are you kidding me? There's def. a difference there!! It's most noticeable in the second picture. Congrats!!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

There's definitely a difference there, and it will look more dramatic as you proceed. Good job!

Pretty much all of us have been in that denial phase if we let ourselves get morbidly obese - I don't know a single chickie who was really aware of the calories consumed, portion sizes, appearance, you name it, and got up into the 40-50+ BMI range. There is a breakdown on at least one of those components for the vast majority of us, definitely for me! Seeing myself accurately and addressing the numbers and my appearance head on was really crucial to my success thus far, and I hope it is a big factor for you, too
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
I can definitely see a little difference! You're also standing up straighter it looks like. Are you working out? It looks like you are! I'm right about where you (lost 16ish pounds) and I'm struggling with seeing a difference too, but my clothes are a little loose. Just know that it's happening even if you can't always see the results. Especially if you are working out and building muscle.

Keep up the good work!
I am working out, for the first time ever! I never considered it might help my posture, but I guess it has! I always get kind of disheartened when I can't see any difference in the way I look, but I thought I'd take pictures this time (I can't trust my brain!) and it seems to have helped. Seeing my stomach is a little deflated has helped.

Thanks so much, and congrats on your weight loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmcakes View Post
I definitely see a difference in the tummy and bottom areas. Perhaps it would be easier for you to see a difference if you took pictures of yourself in the same outfit.
Lol, yes, I'll try to do that next time. I just sort of stripped off and hoped for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
Are you kidding me? There's def. a difference there!! It's most noticeable in the second picture. Congrats!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
There's definitely a difference there, and it will look more dramatic as you proceed. Good job!

Pretty much all of us have been in that denial phase if we let ourselves get morbidly obese - I don't know a single chickie who was really aware of the calories consumed, portion sizes, appearance, you name it, and got up into the 40-50+ BMI range. There is a breakdown on at least one of those components for the vast majority of us, definitely for me! Seeing myself accurately and addressing the numbers and my appearance head on was really crucial to my success thus far, and I hope it is a big factor for you, too
I just needed a little confidence boost I guess, to feel like yes, it is really working, don't give up! I always worry that after being fat most of my life, my fat cells have mutated and I will forever be big. Of course common sense tells me that's not true but sometimes I have a hard time believing it.

Oh yes. If denial was an Olympic sport I could have won it! Until I saw some really horrible candid photos of myself at my sister's wedding I was deluding myself into thinking I was much smaller. Reality sucks. But like you said, once you face it head-on and stop running from it you can really work to change it.

Thanks for your response!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Yes, there's a difference, but remember that it's always hard to see at first and seems to take a while before you suddenly do a double-take and go "Whoa...when did that lot disapppear?".

Measure yourself so you can see by the numbers on the page in front of you how much progress you're making - that helped me.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemar View Post
Yes, there's a difference, but remember that it's always hard to see at first and seems to take a while before you suddenly do a double-take and go "Whoa...when did that lot disapppear?".

Measure yourself so you can see by the numbers on the page in front of you how much progress you're making - that helped me.
Definitely. With the weight I'm at now, any change is minimal at best. But even the smallest change is enough to spur me on and ensure I don't just quit in a flurry of frustration. Like I said above, I have an irrational fear that my fat cells have mutated and that I'm no longer able to lose weight after having been fat so long. I know that's not true, but seeing tiny differences can help quash those fears.

I really need to get a tape-measure! I've been meaning to for ages, so I'll put that at the top of my to-do list for tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Hah - love the mutated fat cells comment. I haven't been at my current weight for some 16+ years and I've managed to do it so you will too.

Another thing - you said the smallest thing is enough to spur you on. Great mindset! Set lots of mini goals and focus on them rather than the bigger picture which can just seem wayyyy too daunting. Before you know it, you've passed masses of little goals and have lost loads without realising how far you've come. it's a great feeling and really worked for me.

You've got off to a great start so go girl!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemar View Post
Hah - love the mutated fat cells comment. I haven't been at my current weight for some 16+ years and I've managed to do it so you will too.

Another thing - you said the smallest thing is enough to spur you on. Great mindset! Set lots of mini goals and focus on them rather than the bigger picture which can just seem wayyyy too daunting. Before you know it, you've passed masses of little goals and have lost loads without realising how far you've come. it's a great feeling and really worked for me.

You've got off to a great start so go girl!
Lol, that's a relief. I have to keep reminding myself that yes, it is possible to achieve my goals! Just look at all the awesome people here who've done it!

And yes, I'm definitely on board with setting mini-goals. The first is to reach 280 and then 250. Even my ultimate goal is 200 -- that seems so far away! -- and after that, well... If I could blast off 100 pounds then I'm sure I'd have the confidence to keep going!

Thanks for your advice.