Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default Feeling kinda sad...

I've been a regular blood donor this past year and during my last visit, I was told that my blood pressure was too high so I couldn't donate. I was in denial and still am, thinking that their blood pressure machine must've been broken or maybe I was too nervous so my blood pressure numbers shot up, but truth be told, I've donated plenty times before and have never gotten this problem. These last few years I've always had a weight problem, but I've never thought much about it. When I look in the mirror or when I see pictures of myself, I feel disgusted, but food is what makes me happy, so I eat a whole lot of it. I've never had the habit of waking up in the middle of the night and grabbing a snack before, but now it's became a regular thing.

I guess I just never took it seriously till reality hit me in the face that my weight is really starting to affect my health- to the point where I can't help others anymore. I feel sad about this, and I want to change. Not only is it affecting my helth, it makes me feel insecure about myself a lot of times.

I can't confide in anyone, not even my family because they think I'm just a happy individual living the life. I've been stressing out a lot over college, and this hasn't helped me in the least bit.

Where do I even begin? How did you guys begin your journey?

I'm 5'4 and 160 pounds. I want to be able to wear what I want and feel confident about myself. I just need some advices.

Thanks guys.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Calorie counting and swimming is my method. Just be happy that you aren't very far away from a healthy weight, take small steps and be patient. Eat less junk and more veggies/fruit. Try to look at the positive in your life. hugs
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #3  
Chubby Chibi

Height: 5'5

(I apologize in advance for not being much help)

I'm sorry to hear that you can't help others anymore That really sucks

Anyway, I guess you should begin by deciding on some goals. Like, how much weight you wanna lose, stuff like that. If you say "My goal is to lose 30 pounds" and you feel as if that stresses you out a bit, or you feel like it's something you can't achieve, then shoot for a smaller goal, like losing 10 pounds, and then going up from there.
You say you wake up in the middle of the night grabbing a snack? I would try to get rid of any bad sugary foods in the house and replace them with healthier and better options. Like if you have tons of ice cream, donuts, or candies, then throw them out, and replace them with things like yogurt, fruits, etc. Healthier foods. Food doesn't have to be bad and sugary to make you happy. Try new healthier foods, and you might find something you really like. Try working out if you don't already. It may seem totally boring, but I find that it actually puts me in a better mood and helps me sleep better at night. Since you're probably busy in college, then I would try working out in any freetime you may have. Or take walks after studying, stuff like that. Lots of small changes in what you do can help you lose weight such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, choosing a side of vegetables or fruit instead of french fries. These small things can really add up. Of course, don't turn all of your attention to losing weight! You should probably still focus on college. Losing weight isn't a race, you don't need to rush

If you can't confide in friends, or family, then confide in the wonderful people on 3FC! We may just all be "strangers" on the internet (lol) but doesn't mean we can't all help you and be your buddies Don't worry, I can't confide in my family either, if I tell them I'm trying to lose weight all I will get is "you're too young to lose weight" You know, stuff like that haha.
Once again, I apologize for being no help at all! You can PM me if you really want to..
Good luck!!!
chibir3dpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4  
Chubby Chibi

Listen to what TiffNeedsChange says She sounds like she knows what she's talking about, not me lol
Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #5  

@Tiff; thanks for the advice! I've hit 160 lbs before and I lost 30 pounds within like 2-3 months, but I started eating junk food again and now I'm back to square one =[ One thing I absolutely hate is exercising, LOL. I rather bum around and eat salads all day long. In fact, that's what I did before. Ate salads every meal and took walks every day, and it paid off. I guess I have to start this routine again!

@Panda, you helped a lot! I see you're almost at your goal weight, so congrats in advance! xDD I'm gonna start my 4 month journey and hopefully I'll lose 40 pounds by the end of it =] I'm aiming for 120, but 115 would be ideal, since I'm not that tall. This forum really helps keep me motivated! Everyone here seems great My face is kinda chubby being at this weight, so hopefully it'll slim down a lot once I lose all that fat!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #6  
The Future is Bright!

I can't tell you what will work for you, all I can tell you is what is working for me; a low-carb diet. I eat less and crave sugar less, and that has been incredibly relieving.

Think of it like an experiment. Try things. Some of them might even work =)
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #7  
Chubby Chibi

Go go go! You can do it! No giving up!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #8  

Thanks guys

Btw, how do you guys make those little weight bars on your signature? I kinda want one, haha.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

For a ticker, you have to be here 20 days or make 20 posts ... so get typing ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #10  

ohh, ok thanks!! +1 post count
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #11  
The Future is Bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
For a ticker, you have to be here 20 days or make 20 posts
You have to be here 20 days *and* make 20 posts

Last edited by Chain; 03-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #12  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Don't worry Bloopers, your 20 days will go by fast and then you can have your ticker! Welcome to 3FC!!!

You can lose weight and go back to giving blood - that can be a motivator for you. Being healthy will make it easier to help others in so many ways.

Don't kid yourself, walking is exercise! I lost 100 pounds and moderate walking was the only regular exercise I got. Just a couple miles most days. Then I went back to eating junk food and gained back 30 and now I've got to lose it again....

So that's my "lesson" for you - give up junk food (at least daily junk food) and accept that you are giving it up for life. When you have a treat make it a real treat and savor it. The rest of the time, savor your health!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome to the group! I agree that small changes can make a huge difference. But getting into the game mentally is first and foremost, in my opinion. THEN make the changes that we know will work, and they all boil down to eating better (better quality calories,) eating less (fewer calories than you burn,) and moving more (any form of exercise will do.)

I also will say that cutting out carbs helps tremendously in controlling urges. Carb and sugar urges go way down.

And I'd add this - in your case, just cutting out the middle of the night eating should have an impact on your weight. That might be enough of a change to see a difference in a few weeks. And just lay off the fast food and junk food and do yourself a life long favor. And finally, at your age (I assume you are no older than early 20's since you mention college - but that isn't necessarily the case) you might want to get your blood pressure checked by your family doctor just to be sure there isn't a real problem because your weight isn't so high that blood pressure would typically be a problem.

Good luck - you can count on all your 3fc friends to pull you through.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #14  
threenorns

bloopers: i was in the exact same situation - due to sports participation, my blood pressure was always incredibly low (100/50 to 110/60) with a resting pulse in the high 40s to low 50s.

except for the two occasions i lost 100lbs (110 the first time, 90 the second), i've always been big and figured that was fine.

then i got pregnant with my third child and got hit with toxemia - it normally hits on the first pregnancy but since my two older children were 21 and 19 at the time, i was counted as a first-timer again. they said it would go away once the baby was delivered and she was induced at 39wks because she went into cardiac distress (heart swinging between 250bpm+ and less than 40bpm, normal is 110-160).

but i never lost the toxemia - they forgot to add the little detail that you have to lose the weight or they change the diagnosis to hypertension.

more than once, i landed in emerg with my head just *pounding* bec my blood pressue was 170/120 or higher and needed IV meds to bring it down, then had to stay there overnight because my bp is "labile" - bounces around with no rhyme or reason - so it would then drop too low and i'd land on the floor.

[although, come to think of it, removing a pint of blood would actually lower your blood pressure so i don't know what the logic is there - hypertension is not contagious unless you're getting it from your kids]

my dr finally laid it out straight: if i didn't get my weight down asap, i'd be in a wheelchair, in a coma, or dead before i'm 50.

it's not nice to be 45yrs old and nearing the end of my life - not when getting real with my appetite can fix it. trust me: *NOTHING* tastes so good that it's literally worth dying for.

on march 1st, i started a medically-supervised VLCD (only appropriate for morbidly obese ppl with 100lbs or more to lose - i'm five-two and you can see my stats). last week, my blood pressure suddenly plunged from 150/100 and higher to being in the normal to high-normal range. four days in a row!

it was that sudden and all i lost was 13lbs - 5% of my bodyweight.

"hating" exercise doesn't make sense - it's like hating hats or hating soup or hating ethnic food. you can't make a sweeping generalization bec there's an infinite variety and if you keep looking, *something* will pique your interest.

if you like solo sports, what about:

horse-back riding
swimming
rock-climbing
nature hiking
skateboarding
bike riding
rollerblading
dog-walking
agility training (for your dog, i mean)
tree climbing
dancing (i'm working on the dance sequence from party rock anthem, myself - and i've never danced (sober) in my life!)
zumba (crazy fun!)
pilates
canoeing
kayaking
scuba diving
boxercise
actual boxing (probably one of the best workouts you'll ever get)
tae-bo
martial arts
tai-chi
gymnastics

etc etc etc.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #15  

I haven't done it in years but I do enjoy rollerblading. It's easy on the joints!

I love the feeling I get after a long run, I enjoy using the elliptical and walking my dog.

My journey started by calorie counting. I did it a few months and figured out that I had a good idea of what changes needed to happen, so I don't really count anymore. I also exercise 6 days a week at the gym and walk my dog 7 days a week, at least 1 mile. I try to go for a walk at work, usually only 1 time a day but sometimes 2.

I do not snack, never. I used to eat constantly, either meals or snacking... no more. My husband needs the snacks, but I give him healthy and appropriate portion snacks. I think it depends on your plan and needs.

Try a couple of things you think you can stick to, you will hit a stride.

Be patient, it takes time but it will happen!
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote