Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #1  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Default When the problem is eating too FEW calories

So, some people may remember me posting a few months back about being at a plateau for over half a year. Despite my slight overeating on weekends, I was sticking to my plan great, but I was giving up hope from not losing.

Well, at the time I was eating ~1700 calories a day and not losing, and after all of the support and suggestions, I worked really hard to fit in twenty days of exercise in January (that's a big deal for me, since I work full-time and am a full-time student). The scale still did not budge, even with NO weekends off-plan. So, at the beginning of February, I dropped my calories to ~1500 a day.

For that month at ~1500, I was miserable. I was going morning-to-night on those few calories (few at my heigh/weight), working, studying, going to classes/labs. I was having constant headaches. But, the worst part to me was that the scale still DID NOT MOVE.

Skip forward to the end of February, when some relatives joined Weight Watchers. When I saw what they were eating at weights/heights much lower than mine, the nagging idea that I might be eating too little popped into my head, and wouldn't go away.

So the next week I signed up for WW. I was terrified that I would gain, after working so hard and seeing no results at low calories. My daily eating, with none of those extra weekly points, is usually ~2000 calories.

Well, three weeks in and I've lost 1.5lbs a WEEK every week. And, as of this morning, I broke my eight-month-long plateau of 313 (I had started WW at the higher end of my maintenance range). I almost cried when I saw a lower number on the scale!

So, I guess this was just to let people know to not be afraid to experiment with your calories if you're not seeing the results you want! I finally feel like there's still hope for me out there!
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #2  

Yes it is possible to eat too few calories, imho. Your body will take the calories you do eat to maintain yout fat storage leaving little energy for the rest of your body to function at a healthy level, stalling your weightloss. At least that is what I tell myself!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on your success!!! Huge kuddos for not giving up and continuing to experiment with your calorie range.
Great Job!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratultions on your loss.
I agree that it sometimes takes some experimenting to find what works for each individual. The most important thing is not to give up.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-23-2012 at 10:10 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #5  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

Thats great! Soo happy for you that you found what works, and you're not starving!! congrats!!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #6  
too big to fail

Good for you for hanging in there and having the courage to try eating a little more. I'm not sure I could do that.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Thanks a lot, I am in the same boat. I think I will join WW in May as we are having wedding in our house in April.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the personal story! I am sure it will help out a lot of folks!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #9  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I think this might be my problem too.

I came hard and fast out of the gates, set my goal to 1550 cals and within a month and a half had lost 18 pounds. Great!

Then started my plateau (granted over Christmas so there was a bit of off plan eating mixed for a day here and there) of about 3 months.

So during that time I also tried for a couple of weeks to tighten up my calories even more - again, no progress.

I'm actually not sure I'm even off my plateau at this point - although the scale has moved down a little bit, it's only one day in 2 weeks that I see that number, then bounce back up a few pounds...

I'm contemplating upping my cals though based on what you've said - it so runs counterintuitive though! We're about the same height, so maybe I should just set mine at 1900 or so for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I'm so happy for you that you've hit the right formula for you now though - go get 'em!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #10  
In the TARDIS

Thanks everyone for your well-wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsteng View Post
I'm actually not sure I'm even off my plateau at this point - although the scale has moved down a little bit, it's only one day in 2 weeks that I see that number, then bounce back up a few pounds...
That's what my scale did for eight months. I would get down to 313, then bounce back between 313-318, back and forth, back and forth. But after three weeks with steady loss, and 312.x on the scale, I think the plateau's officially broken for me.

Don't be afraid to up your calories! It may not be the answer, but then again, it might be!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The only time more calories is the answer for fat loss in a very heavy person is when the output side of the equation is affected.

For example - the OP was feeling very lethargic on too few calories, thus the output side of the equation was affected.

This could also be due to specific food choices, or due to the length of time neccessary to adapt to a new diet/exercise routine.

Fat loss does not stop because one is ingesting too few calories but the number of calories one burns during the day can be affected by too few calories.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

How much you have to spend for WW? Can one read WW book and do the program?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsteng View Post
I think this might be my problem too.

I came hard and fast out of the gates, set my goal to 1550 cals and within a month and a half had lost 18 pounds. Great!

Then started my plateau (granted over Christmas so there was a bit of off plan eating mixed for a day here and there) of about 3 months.

So during that time I also tried for a couple of weeks to tighten up my calories even more - again, no progress.

I'm contemplating upping my cals though based on what you've said - it so runs counterintuitive though! We're about the same height, so maybe I should just set mine at 1900 or so for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I'm so happy for you that you've hit the right formula for you now though - go get 'em!
I weigh 178 right now and I maintain on 2100-ish calories a day with light activity! This is after three YEARS of reducing my weight (so it isn't like my metabolism is that of a never-obese or never-dieted person!).

Yes, if you or someone else is stalling out at what should be deficit calorie levels, it is entirely possible a refeed with slightly higher calories is in order. You should lose quite well at 1900 calories a day (maybe a pound or so a week, possibly more) at yor weight, unless you have significant metabolic issues.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 03-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #14  
In the TARDIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
The only time more calories is the answer for fat loss in a very heavy person is when the output side of the equation is affected.

For example - the OP was feeling very lethargic on too few calories, thus the output side of the equation was affected.

This could also be due to specific food choices, or due to the length of time neccessary to adapt to a new diet/exercise routine.

Fat loss does not stop because one is ingesting too few calories but the number of calories one burns during the day can be affected by too few calories.
I'm surprised by this post, since most people seem to accept that there is no 'one size fits all' answer to weight loss, but you seem to think you have it.

My food choices are exactly the same. I eat whole, healthy foods. Just more of them now that my calories are increased. I hadn't (and still haven't) started a new exercise routine, I just increased the days I was doing the exercises that I normally do.

I was not any less active on those lesser calories, my schedule doesn't allow for me to be 'lethargic', my life was the same, I just felt worse while doing my tasks.

Believe whatever you like, but I know for a fact that my weight loss stopped for eight months, until my calories were increased. So it's pretty silly to act as if that can't happen.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyCen View Post
Believe whatever you like, but I know for a fact that my weight loss stopped for eight months, until my calories were increased. So it's pretty silly to act as if that can't happen.
You misunderstand the point I was making. I believe it can happen. I believe it is happening to you. We simply don't agree on the reason why it is happening. Regardless of the "why" the important thing is that you have discovered a plan that you can live with that allows you to consistantly lose for now. That is wonderful. I apologize I assumed that the output side of the equation was being affected because it is very common for this to happen. My mistake for assuming.

Having said that in every study I have read I've yet to read ~anything~ that suggests someone's metabolism would speed up to the tune of 1250 calories a day by consuming an additional 300 calories per day. (This is the math you've presented us with) If activity level (NEAT) did not fall your BMR/RMR is the only other part of the output equation that could be so greatly affected to cause such a difference.

On the other hand I have read a tremendous amount about under reporting consumption even when not voluntary or conciously. Thus it seems that what is most likely true is the input side was not accurately recorded based on your comments regarding the weekends.

There are many other possible variables to consider of course. The science of our bodies is complex and it is difficult to isolate single variables.

The only reason I post here is to try and help people. Understanding why things happen the way they do is very helpful to everyone reading. The alternative is we're left with myths and inaccurate conclusions.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote