Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #1  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

Unhappy Really, water weight??

Okay so I have been weighing myself every day. I just do, even throughout the day I do it. Yesterday I weigh in at 149. This evening I weigh in at 156!!! Seriously??? I am really, REALLY sore today from doing my 30 Day Shred yesterday and I have been doing it for the past 4 days, yesterday I added extra weight so I expected some soreness and had decided to take it easy today and not workout but when I get on the scale and see a 7lb gain I get so frustrated.

I know ppl will say it's from water but HOW do I get it off? How long does it take and what caused it? I know it isn't from salt because I do not eat salt, I don't even use it to season my foods with and I don't eat canned soups etc. I have also stayed within my points, have not eaten weeklies or my AP?
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Of course you're seeing gains like that, you've been doing 30DS for 4 days, your muscles are storing water to help themselves heal. Of course your weight in the morning, when you've been asleep and your stomach empty for 6+ hours, will be low. And of course your weight in the evening, after eating all day and moving and possibly working out, will be higher. That's just how it goes.

I weigh in the morning and evening too, but I don't get mad when I see gains because I know they're normal. If it's upsetting you that much, maybe you shouldn't weigh in the evening--maybe you shouldn't weigh every day.

You won't get the water weight off instantly. Drink more water and work in a rest day or two so your body can heal itself. If you keep working, especially doing something so strenious, and keep weighing like that, you're not going to see the results on the scale you want. Even if you take a rest day, or two, you didnt' gain the weight overnight,you won't lose it overnight, either.

Last edited by yhahmd; 03-21-2012 at 08:56 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Yup! Your muscles are storing water. They'll heal and let it go and you'll be back down to where you were, and then some! I know it's super discouraging. I KNOW it happens and still curse my scale on occasion. I have to remind myself to step back, realize my muscles are sore, and know the gain is only temporary. Just keep trucking. It may take a few days but it'll come off. Ibuprofen and Vit. E are helpful for the inflammation and LOTs of water!

Hang in there!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #4  
Trying my best

Should I maybe do 30 day shred every other day and not everyday? I knew it felt like it was really hard on my body but thought that maybe it was just me trying to get over not really working out this hard ever. I could maybe switch it up, I try and get in a good mile walk on the weekends and then I have my elliptical. I could alternate so that I am not pushing my muscles so hard every single day.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I found that I had to quit weighing multiple times a day or it drove me nuts. Now I try and only do twice a week (but have been known to sneak it an extra now and then!). During TOM I don't weight at all cause it just makes me depressed.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #6  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

First, if you're going to weigh every day (and many do, including me), pick a consistent time to weigh yourself each day and ignore everything else. Your fluctuations from morning to evening can be HUGE and it's not worth comparing an evening weight to a morning weight. Personally, I get up every morning, use the bathroom, brush my teeth (because I can't stand morning breath for longer than necessary), then weigh myself. That way all conditions are equal.

Second, if you are going to drive yourself crazy over normal weight fluctuations, DO NOT weigh yourself every day. Stick to once a week. Sometimes even weekly fluctuations happen, and I'd argue that it's not even the week to week measurement that really matters so much as the overall downward trend. (Do I weigh less than I did a month ago? 3 months ago?)

Third, sore muscles retain water. Period. There's nothing you can do about it but wait it out and know that it will go away with time. Try to look at it as good weight, because it means that you're working your body in new and healthy ways. It's not like you gained a bunch of fat overnight, you know?

Last edited by Blueberries; 03-22-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #7  
Trying my best

I think I need to buy a new scale. The one I have is old and I think something is wrong with it because last night before I went to bed I weighed again and it was 149?

Now when I weighed and it said 156 I stepped on and off that scale several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things and it still said 156. Before bed I wanted to re-weigh, I picked the scale up and looked at it to see if anything had been adjusted, put my hand weight on it to make sure it was showing correct weight and it was, then I stepped on it and it said 149?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #8  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyia View Post
I think I need to buy a new scale. The one I have is old and I think something is wrong with it because last night before I went to bed I weighed again and it was 149?

Now when I weighed and it said 156 I stepped on and off that scale several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things and it still said 156. Before bed I wanted to re-weigh, I picked the scale up and looked at it to see if anything had been adjusted, put my hand weight on it to make sure it was showing correct weight and it was, then I stepped on it and it said 149?
Weight fluctuates throughout the day, even by several pounds. I had to stop weighing myself daily because it was driving me crazy. Now I just do it once a week.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #9  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

I weigh everyday too but in my head it only counts on my offical day so no matter the ups and downs of the week Monday is the offical day...try it it will keep you from going crazy LOL
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #10  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I take water over fat any day

ETA: I am hoarding water like mad right now; PMS time, oh joy. BUT, BUT I have learned, it is just water, so no biggie what the scale says. -- I may sport more water today that I did a few days ago, but I pulled out size 10 capri pants from a few years back and they were HUGE! Last time my FAT tush did not fit in, today my water filled tush did not hold them up.

Last edited by Sum38; 03-22-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5 1/2

By reading y'all comments I did not know that sore muscle can make you gain a pound or two becasue it retains water. NOw I know!!! yay!! I was frustrated this morning when I did my WI. I gained 1.8 lbs! (its always a bummer seeing a gain. I was even excited with the WI earlier but it all went down the drain). But becasue of all the comments I read now I felt relieved and a little bit happier than this morning. Went to the gym thursday and did Body pump and our intrustor did some extreme weight lifting and up to know my muscles are sore. Even on fri she did some new crazy dance routine at fitness dance. Didnt even go to the gym sat because cant even hardly walk hahaha.
myfavisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

Yeah you totally have to weigh at a consistent time. My weight is usually up by 5-6lbs by the end of the day. Don't drive yourself crazy with this. If you are eating and exercising correctly, the scale will eventually reflect it!
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/133.3/130

Height: 5'7

I know it seems impossible, but weighing in only 1x a week has really that kept me motivated. Every Wednesday, 10am, loss every time. So I never get disappointed, granted sometimes it has just been a mere few ounces, but it has always been a loss nonetheless. It might help your frustration? Gives you something to really look forward to every week )

As far as the workout goes, alternating days strength training/cardio is definitely a fabulous idea.
onelove0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/203/167

Height: 5"5

im sooo glad iv found this post!
iv worked out like a mutha all weekend. sit ups, crunches, pilates, zumba and yoga....i can barely move i tell ya!.... and was soo gutted when id put 2lbs on this morning.
now i know why
im going to stop my scale obsession too. im going to tey once a month instead of twice a day
nicolae is offline   Reply With Quote