Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Default Every time I get into a groove....

This is so frustrating!!!!

It is hard for my body to let go of weight. HARD. I have accepted that we don't all lose at the same rate and there are no "normal" rates of weight loss. I have accepted that this will be a slow process for me, and by the same token I didn't put on all this weight overnight, it's not going to come off overnight.

But I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. For the last few weeks I have been working my butt off at the gym. I feel GOOD. I feel strong and in fairly good shape for my size. Like I'm at the cusp of something really good... like my weight is just about to start coming off the way I felt it "should" have been this whole time. (The scale has been teasing me and hinting that as well).

However... tomorrow I have to have a minor medical procedure done that will limit my exercise for an unknown amount of time. I'm told at least 7-10 days. And I know this is nothing (actually, I should be happy because I was lucky by avoiding what the doctor thought it was). But all I can think about is how I'm going to go insane for over a week without exercise. How much potential for disaster there is in this, because exercise is truly what keeps me from going off the food-rocker.

Anyone have words of wisdom? I know even worst case scenario I couldn't do too much terrible damage, but thinking about losing the groove I've struggled so long to get into is really getting me down.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:238 CW:224.6 GW:120

Height: 4' 11"

I would stay in the weight loss loop! Don't cut yourself off from your support groups. Try to eat as healthily as you can or at least maintain.
I know when I want to be even more inspired I'll watch a show like "heavy" on A&E (and on netflix) to really see real people loosing weight. That always gives me a kick! But as far as loosing your groove, keep thinking about the groove you're in and how much progress you have made! The first day you can get back, go at it slow and steadily again. Good luck, this is a hard situation!! But you can do it!
AlyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #3  
Tripmama

S/C/G: 315/171/170

Height: 5'10"

Talking Ideal Protien

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
This is so frustrating!!!!

It is hard for my body to let go of weight. HARD. I have accepted that we don't all lose at the same rate and there are no "normal" rates of weight loss. I have accepted that this will be a slow process for me, and by the same token I didn't put on all this weight overnight, it's not going to come off overnight.

But I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. For the last few weeks I have been working my butt off at the gym. I feel GOOD. I feel strong and in fairly good shape for my size. Like I'm at the cusp of something really good... like my weight is just about to start coming off the way I felt it "should" have been this whole time. (The scale has been teasing me and hinting that as well).

However... tomorrow I have to have a minor medical procedure done that will limit my exercise for an unknown amount of time. I'm told at least 7-10 days. And I know this is nothing (actually, I should be happy because I was lucky by avoiding what the doctor thought it was). But all I can think about is how I'm going to go insane for over a week without exercise. How much potential for disaster there is in this, because exercise is truly what keeps me from going off the food-rocker.

Anyone have words of wisdom? I know even worst case scenario I couldn't do too much terrible damage, but thinking about losing the groove I've struggled so long to get into is really getting me down.
Ideal Protien is working really well for me!
Tripmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Are you going to be completely exercise restricted? In bed? Or just restricted from weight bearing?

One thing that was important to me was moving SOMEHOW even when I was restricted. Even if you're stuck in bed, your doctor may clear you to do small ab exercises, pelvic tilts, range of motion exercises, etc. If you just can't bear weight on one or more feet, you can do UB lifting, shadow boxing, etc.

It's not important that you break a crazy sweat or burn lots of calories. Just sticking in that groove of doing SOMETHING instead of lying about always helped me to keep my mental focus.

Ask your doc what is allowed and what isn't, embrace what you can do, and keep going!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

i say concentrate on your diet more strictly.

i just took 2+ weeks off from the gym because i had my wisdom teeth taken out. i was freaking, thinking that i was going to blow up, because i had already armed myself with loads of pudding and ice cream in anticipation of a jaw that won't open.

miraculously, i somehow managed to lose a little over a pound in that time. i still don't know how, i was sitting on my butt and living off of mashed potatoes and pudding.

so hopefully that gave you some hope that not all is lost, however for me..i couldn't physically eat much which is probably what saved me.

you already said it, you can't do TOO much damage. just so long as you jump right back into the game, you will be fine. please just focus on resting and getting better, because that is what is most important.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks guys! I know you're right, just focus on what I *can* do. I'm not going to be that restricted, basically I just need to be careful to not strain... so I can walk, etc, but I won't be able to do anything near my usual sweat session or yoga/weights/anything that stretches too much. This will also actually be a really good time to focus on my diet, because I know that needs some perfecting.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote