General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

Default Advice Needed- Snoring and Sleepness Nights

Over the course of the last several months my husband's snoring has gotten terrible! I'm not talking your everyday average snoring. It's sounds like a freight train in driving through my bedroom. Anyway, this has caused me to have many sleepless nights because the noise often wakes me from my sleep or prevents me from going to sleep altogether. Many nights I'll leave and go sleep on the couch but I really don't want to spend the rest of my life sleeping away from my husband (and I miss my bed).

Any suggestions on ways to stop the snoring or block out the sound? I've tried wearing my IPOD to sleep at night and even with the music on full blast I could still hear his snoring loud and clear.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Your husband should figure out why he's snoring. It could be sleep apnea which can be dangerous and can be disallowing him a good night's sleep too.

Has he gained weight recently? Obesity can make the problem worse.

It is HIS problem - not yours. He might even need to wear a machine to keep him from snoring. Time for him to see a doctor about it. There is snoring and then there is SNORING.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Does he have a sleep apnea problem? This can be serious, and they can test for this at a sleep lab.

Also - does he drink alcohol before going to bed? This can also cause snoring.

Other than that, the only thing I know that might help are Breathe-Right strips. Believe it or not, many newer homes are built so there are two beds in the master bedroom - one in an adjoining room for such situations. :-)
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4  

He may very well have sleep apnea, I think he probably needs to get that checked out. However, actually getting him to go see the doctor is a whole nother challenge. He's also gained a lot of weight recently too so that may be a contributing factor. He doesn't drink alcohol at all, but he works long hours so he's usually exhausted when he goes to bed......

Webwoman, I don't think sleeping in an adjoining room would even help unless the walls are sound proof. His snoring is THAT loud.

Last edited by joyc21; 03-21-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, he is the one who needs to change rooms - not you. HE is the one snoring. He wants to come back to his own bed? He needs to see the doctor.

ORRRRR you move a bed to a new room and say you aren't coming back to the room until he addresses the problem.

It's not an ultimatum - it's doing what needs to be done. Sleep apnea is BAD for his health.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I agree with the sleep apnea suspicion...he should get checked out for sure. I sleep with a large box fan on high, since college! It drowns out those little noises....although I don't think it will drown out snoring. If you want to sleep well you probably will have to change sleeping arrangements until his snoring is fixed. But I HIGHLY recommend him seeing the doctor ASAP.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc21 View Post
He may very well have sleep apnea, I think he probably needs to get that checked out. However, actually getting him to go see the doctor is a whole nother challenge. He's also gained a lot of weight recently too so that may be a contributing factor. He doesn't drink alcohol at all, but he works long hours so he's usually exhausted when he goes to bed......

Webwoman, I don't think sleeping in an adjoining room would even help unless the walls are sound proof. His snoring is THAT loud.
You may have to tape record him too, if he doesn't believe how bad his snoring is. He should be convinced that his snoring is NOT fair to you...maybe that will help him go to the doctor.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread View Post
You may have to tape record him too, if he doesn't believe how bad his snoring is. He should be convinced that his snoring is NOT fair to you...maybe that will help him go to the doctor.
I've told him that I'm going to record him so that he'll realize that I'm not exagerating. He believes me because on occassion it's so bad that he even wakes himself up. He says that he's going to see the doctor but he is a king procrastinator so I'm not holding my breath.

What is the treatment/cure for sleep apnea?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #9  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
I've told him that I'm going to record him so that he'll realize that I'm not exagerating. He believes me because on occassion it's so bad that he even wakes himself up. He says that he's going to see the doctor but he is a king procrastinator so I'm not holding my breath.

I would drag him by his head and bring him to the doctors. I dated a few guys who snore and when I lose sleep I am one mean *** . Seriously my sleep can not be interrupted its one of those precious things I enjoy in life so a snorer is a . I'm also a very light sleeper. My mom snores so loud my grandmother does too! I sometimes wonder if I do but no one has complained
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5

my husband is a horrible snorer too. I sleep with earplugs. I can still hear it, but it's muffled enough that it doesn't disturb me now
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It just depends on the type of snoring and how bad it is. I think he should have a sleep study done, just in case, but most snoring isn't the type that is detrimental to health. Especially if he gained any weight, snoring is pretty normal, it is the degree of it that varies!

When that bugged me with my spouse, I wore earplugs. I refuse to kick my husband from his bed just because he sleeps too hard to wake up and roll over! Earplugs solved the problem nicely for a few months, then I realized if I fell asleep before him the snoring didn't bother me, so that's what I endeavored to do. Now, even when I hear it, it is a rare day it bothers me. I'm very used to it and it doesn't wake me anymore.

I wore earplugs with my newborns, too, actually. They made all sorts of soft baby noises in their sleep but I was hyperaware of them and it woke me constantly. With the earplugs I could hear enough to hear fussing and definitely crying, but the snorts and coos were blocked out so I could get better quality sleep. White noise machines are also very helpful!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #12  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

My hubby snores too. I sleep with a box fan on high year-round, and it usually helps, when it doesn´t I add earplugs into the mix!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
my husband is a horrible snorer too. I sleep with earplugs. I can still hear it, but it's muffled enough that it doesn't disturb me now
Same here, cherrypie. I buy the PrettyinPink or somesuch plugs. I can still hear it but it is muffled.

And with my DH, it doesn't matter if he is on his back or side, equal amounts of noise will emit from him, so urging him (kicking) to move doesn't help.

It also helps if I pretend I live next to a zoo. For some reason, if I imagine it's an animal making the noise, it doesn't seem to irritate me so much

joyc, I hope he does get himself to a doctor, for his sake AND yours. Mine needs to (very overweight) but won't.

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #14  

Quote:

From what I know, the most common is a breathing machine you have to wear while you sleep.....which is not real favorable with most folks. There's some dental things used too. I think there is a surgical proceedure option too. And of course, weight loss.