Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Does anyone else do this?

I think I have a problem... I'm finally a size 8 in certain stores but not in others. When I try pants on that I love but are too tight in 8s, I refuse to buy them in 10s until I can properly fit them in 8s.
This just results in me missing out on great pants and having very little clothes...

My friends think I'm crazy. I'm beginning to think I am too.
Thoughts??
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #2  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I think it's just a mental block, you've tried so hard to get to this point and that damn dress size is mocking you. Up until a few days ago I was putting off buying new pants until my friend said "Those pants are so big they're making you look like you have no ***." I fit into a size 8 at Old Navy so I thought I should be a size 8 everywhere else and refused to buy anything with a double digit. I think it will be less of an issue when I'm closer to my goal. More than a number on the scale or the pants, I just want to look good.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I buy pants that fit, no matter what the size says as long as it doesn't say extra large, I am happy.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
I think I have a problem... I'm finally a size 8 in certain stores but not in others. When I try pants on that I love but are too tight in 8s, I refuse to buy them in 10s until I can properly fit them in 8s.
This just results in me missing out on great pants and having very little clothes...

My friends think I'm crazy. I'm beginning to think I am too.
Thoughts??
Why not go ahead and get them in the 8 for when they do fit. That way you don't miss out on them and you have something to work toward. Try them on in the 10(so you see what they will look like when they do fit-or at least an idea of it).
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I could care less about a number on a tag. In my closet I have 8-16s that are all the same size. I've tried on 4s that were the same size. It's a number - nothing more.

With that said, I will stop looking at ALL the clothes as I get tired of sorting through them all, so I could be missing out on a reallllly small size 14 on the racks because I'm only looking through the 10s and 12 or a reallllly big size 6.

But I really don't care a boo that my winter skirt from 1994 is a size 16. It fits and it was from before the last two big vanity sizing changes.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #6  
threenorns

there is no standard for clothing sizes.

get five different brands of blue jeans and measure the waistline, f.ex, you'll find one brand will be 28" while another will be 30" and so on all up and down the scale.

dieting down to fit into someone else's idea of what a size 8 should measure? .... yeah, in my books, that's a bit whacked.

here: http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/what-...g-2532831.html

Quote:
Standards-or Lack Thereof

When it comes to sizing, there are no universal standards. A woman with a traditional hourglass figure with 36-24-36 measurements can wear anything from a size zero to a size ten, depending on the brand and whether it's sold at the designer, contemporary, junior, bridge or mass level.

The only standard that does exist is to con the buyer into believing she's smaller. Over time, sizes are getting roomier, allowing women to believe they can still squeeze into a more desirable size two, four, six or even eight.

"At this point, sizes are meaningless. They're more relative than anything else," Bill Ivers, chief operating officer of MSA Models told YouBeauty. His agency specializes in providing fit models for designers and brands.

"Sizes are not standard by design," he explained. "It helps brands be unique and offer an edge over the competition. Brands are looking for brand loyalty and if last season you were an eight and this season you're a size six, that's a sales tool. We all look to apparel to make us look good, feel comfortable and confident."

so there you have it: if you haven't lost any weight but you can't fit into this year's style of your favourite brand pants, it's because they stretched them.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-20-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I've been doing it some. Since I now have Gap jeans in size 12, that's the size I want to buy. If I'm feeling confident AND I have the time, I'll look at bigger sizes if 12's don't fit. If I'm not feeling my best, OR I'm on a schedule, I try the 12's and if they don't fit, I don't go back looking for a bigger size.

At this point each new size is a thrill, so I really want to buy the smaller number sizes. Maybe when I'm at a healthier weight it won't matter as much.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #8  
MG #1: lose back that 10#

Height: 5'5"

Lots of women do this, and manufacturers label their sizes with this in mind--some generously, some to promote the brand's exclusivity.

The same size and style jean can vary from one particular piece to another though! Sometimes you can find a slightly larger 8 if you dig through the stack
loofa is offline   Reply With Quote