Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Default How long does it take for starvation mode to kick in?

This might be a bit long, I apologize in advance.

I started my diet about 9 weeks ago. I began by using the Lose It! app, which calculated a daily calorie budget for me based on my height, weight, BMR, and goal to lose 1 lb a week. I was given a budget of 1500 calories a day, and I was so proud of myself for staying under that budget every day. I ignored the "net calories" thing and just decided I was going to stay under 1500 calories a day, and any exercise I did was going to be a bonus.

I began exercising compulsively, logging 500 calorie burns daily on average. My net calories for each day were often quite low, usually hovering around 1000, sometimes dipping even lower than that. The app tracks weekly reports on how you did relative to the calorie budget, and I was able to figure out that I was on average 3650 calories under budget per week...but the budget had already allowed a 3500 calorie deficit because I wanted to lose a pound a week.

It was only a couple of days ago that I began reading about the dangers of going below 1200 net calories a day, and I am really scared that after 9 weeks of really low net daily calories, that I messed up my metabolism and put myself in starvation mode.

The last few days I have begun feeling hungry all the time, and have been eating more as a result, but feeling guily about it. That is, until I found out about the importance of net calories. Does anyone know how long it takes before the body goes into starvation mode? Have I messed up my metabolism by being compulsive and stupid about dieting? Is it too late to get my train back on the rails? Thanks in advance for any advice, personal experience or insight into this issue that anyone might have.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Your metabolism is fine. You'd have to eat absolutely NOTHING for days and days for your body to make any noticeable effect on your metabolic rate. You're already a healthy weight, so getting those vanity pounds off is going to be a much slower process.

Don't feel guilty about eating enough to nourish your body. Be mindful of the food choices you make but there's no reason to under/overeat . You'll be fine!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'5

Do some research about Starvation mode. It is very difficult to go into starvation mode if you have body fat. I forgot what the body fat percent was like 12% or less that you have to worry about.

If you are hungry all the time look for a supplement like a protein bar. I am looking at your height and weight. Maybe you are trying to lose to much weight. At 5'8" you are going to look very good at 135. You dont have much to lose.
Shero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the input. I have always been rather lanky...a few extra pounds made me look different, and it has affected my energy levels and how I feel. Even with half the weight I want to drop gone, I feel better already. It might seem vain or unnecessary to try to get back down there, but I had been that size for most of my adult life up until a few years ago, and it is a size that I feel most comfortable at.

I don't have much experience dieting and am realizing I don't really know what I am doing. Thanks for the encouragement and support. It is good to know our bodies and systems are not so fragile that a few weeks of crazy eating will not do much damage.

Time for me to think more about health and fitness and less about trying to fit back into the clothes in my closet quickly. ;-)
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #5  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Honestly, I agree with what everyone else has said. Personally starvation mode isn't that big of a deal. I just think make sure that your calories are coming from good calories like fruits, vegs, whole grains etc. then you should be good
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #6  

Metabolism is Modifiable with the Right Lifestyle Changes
http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media...estyle-changes

The Starvation Myth

The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...1&art_id=35501

Starvation Mode Myths and Science
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...hs-and-science

The Starvation Diary. U. of Minnesota experiment.
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/thegoodwar/diary.html
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #7  
threenorns

if you have enough energy to get through the day, you're not starving.

the first thing that goes is your hunger - you look at the clock and realized not only did you skip breakfast, but you've also forgotten about lunch and snack and it's nearly dinnertime. this is when you need to set a timer.

the fact that you are fighting your hunger is a cue that you've upped your metabolically active tissue and you NEED more calories.

try injecting a moderate increase equally balanced betw protein/carbs into your diet - 100cal each, maybe - and see how that goes.

there's no point forcing your calorie intake so low that you guarantee failure. besides, you have to learn to eat at normal levels (maintenance, remember?) *sometime*.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-19-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #8  

One danger is if you eat fewer calories than your body uses at rest some organs like your brain will not eat fat to operate and it will start to eat your muscles for fuel.

Check your BMR calculations and don't eat fewer calories than recommended. Make sure to eat a sufficient amount of protein and maybe even take a multi vitamin.

BMR Calculator
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...sal/basal.html

Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #9  

As for feeling hungry all the time, check into the Volumetrics Diet.

Volumetrics is all about getting more mileage out of what you eat.
http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/volumetrics-diet