Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Default Losing weight without the numbers

I have always been told I don't look my weight. I want to say it's because I'm tall, but I have a cousin who's about the same height as me but looks wider than me. I would assume she weighs more. So, I came up with an idea if I should start losing weight without looking at the number or the scale or measuring myself. Maybe it would be motivating to me more just by looking in the mirror unlike many other people who are more motivated by the numbers. I don't know. Just an idea. I don't know if my scale is very reliable. Do all scales change numbers after getting on and off it. One minute I weight this much. The next I weight that much lol.
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #2  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I say do what works for you. Some people nee d to see their number every day, for others it drives them crazy. Maybe try for a month and see how you feel following your new plan?
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3  

I lost all my weight without looking at the scale even once---not even for a starting weight. I wanted to focus on just changing my bad habits to healthier habits. I think because of that, it was the easiest weight loss I've ever had.

(Now that I'm maintaining (trying to), I do weigh myself because I'm too scared not to. I don't want to regain even five lbs.)

I say go for it!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Do it! I would recommend taking photos every week or two though. Sometimes it can be really difficult to see changes in our bodies just by looking in the mirror every day. (And measurements. Take measurements.)
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

lin really is a success story with this, so listen to her.

Personally, I need the numbers (I weigh daily and I take measurements) but I know it's not a universal thing. However, I do suggest tracking somehow (maybe take progress pictures every week, 2 weeks or month) or have a pair of clothes that you're always trying on to check the fit. Whatever it is, do what works for you.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #6  
banned

Height: 5'3"

I think your clothes are the best indicator. I remember mid Spring last year in my bedroom - I was picking out my clothes for the next day, put on a pair of shorts I hadn't worn in months. Suddenly, these shorts that were once snug on me, fell all the way down my feet and now required a belt!
QuarterLife88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

I accidentally deleted my starting photos on my cell! So mad, I took more pics but now I have nothing to compare them too yet. :/

Last edited by novangel; 03-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #8  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I think if that works for you, definitely do it! I do think it's a good idea to take pictures periodically. Not only will it be nice to have a record, but it helps when your mind isn't in sync with what your body really looks like.

I like to see the numbers to stay on track. I like numbers, data, charts, etc. - it's fun for me to work with the data and plans (I know, weird, but it's true). It doesn't stress me out, it relaxes me.

But, my friend has lost two dress sizes in a couple months and hasn't been anywhere near a scale or measuring tape. For her, that works best by far and she's had a lot of success. It's how she loses/maintains when she needs to. She hasn't been overweight once for years and years now.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote