UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default will you have an apple with that big mac?

I just read that beginning in April, McDonalds in the UK will start offering apples and grapes.

Quote:
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Hold the fatty fries! Big Mac's will be offered with fresh fruit in Britain, a first for a chain rooted in burgers and shakes, McDonald's reported.

Beginning in April, a bag of apples and grapes will be offered along with the traditional fare of Big Macs, French fries and Chicken McNuggets.

The 93 cents (59 pence) bag can be ordered separately or as a substitute for the fries sold in children's "Happy Meals."

"Tastes are always changing and these changes to McDonald's menu aim to provide our customers with even more choice," said Mike Scott, head of national marketing for McDonald's.

The introduction of fruit to the menu comes after McDonald's posted its first loss in January and after a U.S. court threw out a lawsuit alleging McDonald's food made children obese.
Would you buy fruit at McDonalds? Do you think this will catch on?
Old 03-07-2003, 10:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I hope it spreads fast to this side of the world. It means that McD is at last taking a look at what it has done to the world. I just hope that the apples and grapes will be fresh and crisp and not all limp and floury which will put kids off even more.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:26 AM   #3  
Theres no stopping me now

I hope so, I hate just sitting there with a diet coke while the kids munch away, as Shad says though depends on the freshness.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:47 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Maybe we should write and tell them to get with it!
Old 03-08-2003, 12:26 PM   #5  
it's always something

Yeah, but imagine going into McDonalds and smelling all of those french fries, and then ordering an apple! I don't know if I'd have the willpower! I guess that's why I never eat out.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:03 AM   #6  

I guess with the beef scare and people not eating so much of it now theyare feeling the pinch (although I still see loads of mothers with their kids in there. Not a place I go to in any case but I notice on their advert they are getting different food in. Healthier looking and hopefully less calories! Some chicken salad wrap thing or something.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #7  

McD's is always mobbed when I take the kids, a lot of workies and older people as well as teenagers.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 279.5/251/150

Height: 5'6

Has anyone else actually tried one of the McDonalds fruit bags yet? My 3 year-old, who is as fussy as her dad when it comes to fruit & vegetables, was most unconvinced, so I finished hers & the apple seemed nice & crisp & fresh. I would definitely have one of those to munch on in future for 1/2 a point, especially as it counts as 1 portion of fruit for the day, too. My one year-old son happily munched through his, but he's the opposite of his sister, & will plump for fruit & vegetables first every time given the choice anyway!

If anyone following WW is interested, the new ham & cheese melt is 4.5 pts, the chicken pasta salad is 4 pts, & the chicken salsa flatbread is 7.5 pts. If you want just a LITTLE something to satisfy those chocolate cravings - the new McMinis are 4 pts!
Old 04-13-2003, 06:21 AM   #9  

7.5pts for the flat brad - was kidding myself it would be point free

No harm in wishful thinking
Old 04-13-2003, 12:16 PM   #10  

The problem with burger bars is that whenever you go there you want a BURGER! Not fruit or salads! Thanks goodness for BK - I get diet coke, a whopper lite, no mayo (add ketchup instead) and share fries with my husband.

When you have to have a burger, you have to have a burger, it's a fact of life!
Closed Thread