Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Upcoming surgery-percocet-diet ramifications?

Hi all,
I'm having out patient surgery in 2 weeks and will be laid up, on percocet for possibly 3-4 days. Imagine I'll be eating little, definitely won't be walking much even after the first 3-4 days.

What should I expect regarding ketosis? I will be sure to eat only IP foods when I do eat.

thanks for the insight,
Chloe
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/168/130

Height: 5'5

Hi Chole -

I am recovering from surgery right now. I had neck fusion on Feb 2nd.

I would not worry about falling out of ketosis. Your body needs massive quality protein to heal. Surgery is trauma to your body. Allow yourself to heal. If you are not taking in enough calories and protein, your healing will be longer and harder on your body.

For the 5 days leading up to the surgery I added 2 extra packs per day. For the week after, I added 2-3 extra packs per day. Mostly the drink type packets - orange, lemon-aide, blueberry cran-grantia (or however it's spelled). I didn't want to feel stuffed while on the couch, so I had the lighter foods.

I also added magnesium citrate (1500-2000 mg day) to aid in keeping the bowels moving. Protein AND pain meds together will make you feel like you're full of cement! SERIOUSLY.

Are you taking any of the supps? If so, tell your doc! Some of the supps have blood thinner qualities to them and they may want you to stop taking them.
You can PM me if you want - or we can continue here.
Lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood View Post
Hi Chole -

I am recovering from surgery right now. I had neck fusion on Feb 2nd.

I would not worry about falling out of ketosis. Your body needs massive quality protein to heal. Surgery is trauma to your body. Allow yourself to heal. If you are not taking in enough calories and protein, your healing will be longer and harder on your body.

For the 5 days leading up to the surgery I added 2 extra packs per day. For the week after, I added 2-3 extra packs per day. Mostly the drink type packets - orange, lemon-aide, blueberry cran-grantia (or however it's spelled). I didn't want to feel stuffed while on the couch, so I had the lighter foods.

I also added magnesium citrate (1500-2000 mg day) to aid in keeping the bowels moving. Protein AND pain meds together will make you feel like you're full of cement! SERIOUSLY.

Are you taking any of the supps? If so, tell your doc! Some of the supps have blood thinner qualities to them and they may want you to stop taking them.
You can PM me if you want - or we can continue here.
Hi Lakewood,
I have to stop all supplements and any OTC pain pills (aspirin, NSAIDs, etc.) 2 weeks prior so should be stopping today as surgery is exactly 2 weeks from today. In general, I take ex-lax once a week if I'm feeling a little backed up but with pain meds, perhaps need something stronger.

I thought mag citrate was a liquid. "Full of cement", oh how awful! I will have 2 more surgeries next year, something to look forward to.

This too shall pass.

What is the most gentle yet highly effective laxative? I'm guessing the mag citrate from your note.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/168/130

Height: 5'5

Mag citrate is good. If you start with 2000 mg and it works really well, then you back off to 1500 mg. In other words, you can take too much! The other thing that works well is Milk of Magnesia. From a doc who runs the program - she recommends it as it holds water in the gut. The water is what moves things along. It's not a stimulant. If your bowels get used to stimulants to move, then after you stop taking them, they don't move!
I found the mag citrate in cap form at the 'health food' store.
Lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #5  
Back IP alt 100% (again)

S/C/G: 299/232/185

Height: 5'8

I shattered my leg a few months back (I have a rod down the length of my leg and screws in the knee and ankle) and I tried to maintain on IP along with being on the pain meds -- and it made me feel nauseous all the time. Of course, everyone's different but when I spoke to my ortho surgeon I was told that soy and percocets (and blood thinners in my case) don't work well together. To keep up with the "protein" factor I ate more meat and eggs - but really I waited until I was able to walk again before restarting IP on a regular 3-a-day basis.

Good luck on your surgery! :-)
SpittenImage is offline   Reply With Quote