Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Unhappy My friends can slip into a bikini whenever they want.

Hi,

Lately at my current weight, I've been floating on a cloud loving the way my body looks in jeans, mini dresses, tight tops, and all the things I never could really wear confidently before. This is all I've ever wanted- I never was one of those girls who was like, "OMG my DREAM is to wear a bikini." Nah, I never really cared about that.

Until now. When I try on bathing suits, I look out of shape, large, and flabby. It's like I look GREAT in normal clothes, but then half naked you see what I really look like. Then I remember that 140ish is my weight that I'm happy with when clothed, but 140 is a lot of girls' STARTING weight when they want to lose weight to be thin in bikinis.

I'm mad that I've busted my assss for MONTHS just to finally see what it feels like to wear tight dresses out at the bar, (something that should be so normal) but my friends who don't workout or watch their weight can put on a bikini whenever they want- flat stomachs and all.

So yes, that is my "life is totally unfair!!" post.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. I regularly weight train too!

Last edited by GotothegymOKAY; 03-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #2  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i totally identify with this! when clothed, everyone's like "you look so good! don't lose any more!" but yesterday in the hollister dressing room it was like, ick, need to lose some more flab before this bikini looks good.

thank goodness we're thinking this a few months before summer, eh?
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #3  
threenorns

if you look good dressed but not so much naked, that's a sign you need to change your focus from losing weight to recompositioning your body.

if you just keep losing weight, you'll keep the same shape, just on a smaller scale. for an extreme example, my god-daughter went from 300lbs to 140lbs at five-seven and seriously? you couldn't tell from the photos unless she was standing next to someone. she had the exact same face (just a bit more cheekbone and chin but still the sag underneat it), the exact same body shape, and she still had a muffintop even when she wore trackpants.

now's the time you want to be hitting the weights.

never mind a million sets of 15-20 reps - that's called "cardio". do 1 warmup set of 15-20 reps using minimal weight, then 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps for large muscles (lats, quads, hamstrings, glutes), 8-12 for the smaller ones (biceps, triceps, delts, etc).

you won't bulk up like ahnold but you'll find your physique getting curvier in the right places.

it's fat that prevents women from looking like men but it's still muscle that gives us the framework.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

probably you need just another bikini style. We all different and need different stuff. I bough Calvin Klein bikini recently and I looked good even when I was 10 lbs bigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-W...ef=pd_sbs_a_23

Try to find your style
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #5  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Oh My! I'm in this boat as well! I told myself last October when I was in a MAJOR plateau that lasted 6 months that I'd change the way the fat looked since I hadn't realized what I needed to do to break the plateau at that point. I started HIIT and then, in February, I joined a local gym just to lift weights. I am seriously praying that all of my hard work pays off for me to fit into this Vicky one
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

It is a process, so don't get discouraged. I think many people who have gotten to goal realize that they need to change their end goal and or formula to get where they want to be. I know that my goal of 160 will be lowered if I can stand to do it, I just set it there because that is the skinniest I was as an adult, it just seems more attainable. You can do it, you're an inspiration to me. I cannot wait to have your problem hehe
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm so with you on that!

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wear a bikini. I'd love to do it someday. I've never, EVER been small enough to pull one off even a little bit. Except for when I was so young there was nothing to fill out the suit with (yes, at the age of 10 I was skinny. Then I was fat forever and ever, amen).

Just remind yourself how hot you look, how awesome you feel, and how hard you worked to get where you are. You're not finished yet (as I see from your ticker), but you're SO CLOSE. Maybe also up your weight training to tone up. Lift as heavy as you can (and still be safe).

Good luck! And I totally can commiserate.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I second the fact that at this stage you need to focus on body recomposition over weight loss. Consider starting weight training to help build and maintain muscle mass. Do not be afraid of the heavy weights you will not bulk up...take it from me, I've got curves but I'm strong.

Check out the weight training section of the forum
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #9  
BACON

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'2

Personally I think one pieces are much sexier than a Bikini and leave way more to the imagination.

This is comeing from one who Loved her hot pink Bikini before she was fat
LEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #10  

It's perfectly normal to feel this way, you just need to put a bit more effort into your workouts and you'll look amazing in a bikini as well. Don't worry about girls who "effortlessly" look good, just because your metabolism burns calories fast it doesn't mean it's healthy to stuff yourself with junk food. I have friends who look slim and just say "Oh, I can eat anything I want, I just don't put on weight". They may not put on weight, but they sure aren't eating healthy.
My advice is talking to a personal trainer and set up a fitness/aerobics routine focusing on what your problem areas are and what you want to change.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #11  
is chubby

If you have a bit of a belly try a tangini? A tank top thing with a panty beneath.
If it is your bottom try one of those shorts bikinis with a tiny top.

I'm a bit of a pear so I like the shorts-mini tops combination
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I definitely agree with weight training! I've been wearing a bikini for awhile (and weigh more than you at the same height) and have never felt odd or out of place in one.

I wonder, though, if you're going for the right size? Are you buying a bikini by your bra size (take your underbust=band size and go up there from your cup size)? It seriously can make a HUGE difference in term of appearance and fit. Also, seriously look at what kind of bottoms look best for you (and don't be afraid to buy different bottoms from the tops!). Personally, high waisted bottoms are by far the most flattering on me and they give a nice retro look to my swimsuit.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #13  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Personally, I think even if/when I get to that point, I still won't wear a bikini simply because I like the way a one piece looks better. If I were to wear one, it'd be a retro-styled, high-waisted one like the poster above me is talking about. But for you, look through magazines and online for fit and flatter tips when it comes to a bikini -- you might not be able to wear that teeny-weeny, yellow, polka-dot bikini, but you probably can still pull off a two-piece and look okay! Don't sweat it! (Or do, if you really wanna wear the teeny-weeny bikini )
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #14  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I totally get where you are coming from! I love how I look in clothes but put me in a swimsuit and I feel like I haven't lost any weight at all.

InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I totally know how you feel, everyone says how great I look..but they only see me clothed! Naked I look terrible. I'm starting to do what everyone here has suggesting and I'm doing serious weight lifting. Hopefully by summer we can be a little fitter!

Also, last summer before I lost weight I wore a high waisted retro style bikini all summer and felt pretty great in it Just an idea
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote