South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default SBD friendly protein powders

Hi there,

DW has signed up for another triathlon and while I will be rooting from the sidelines, we thought it would be good, for the days or nights that we make a smoothie post-workout, that we add protein powder to it. However, I do not know the first (or second) thing about protein powders, let along SBD friendly ones.

Does anyone have a recommendation? We are heading to Whole Foods tonight but it can also be one that is purchased online.

Thanks so much Chicks!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

As long as there is no added sugar any powder you like will work. I've experimented a lot lately. Personally I like the Trader Joe's chocolate hemp powder, sweetened with coconut palm sugar. Hemp is a bit grainy though, so not everyone's taste. DW loves Tera's Dark Chocolate Whey powder, sweetened with stevia. It's much smoother and very drinkable just mixed with liquid in a shaker. Personally I don't like Spiru-tein no added sugar, both the taste and the texture don't work for me.

DW has protein powder for most meals right now so we have hemp, 2 kinds of whey, and Raw Protein powder. We also tried pea protein. It's mostly texture variations IMO. Do you have time to experiment with some single serving packets? That was really helpful for me. I should add that I don't use soy protein at all, have a thing about soy isolate and don't keep it in the house.

Of course Greek yogurt also makes an awesome high protein smoothie as does ricotta (think cheesecake taste).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #3  
Maryanna

S/C/G: 167/132/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Most protein powders are SB friendly Try to aim for ones that are high in protein and low in carbs/sugars. You will find many are sweetened with sucraolose or aspartame (though I would truly try and avoid the latter). New Zealand whey from what I hear is the best- uses Stevia and does not taste bad Comes in chocolate, vanilla, and unflavoured. Unflavoured is always the healthiest and almost always SB friendly. I am sure whole foods will have a bunch of good choices! Hemp whey protein powder is really healthy too! Good luck!
pinkcandiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Thanks ladies.

I will look for single serves per Cyndi's suggestions and will look at Whole Foods tonight.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1.5"

I have one I like, it's called MLO Super High Protein--it is egg and whey protein. It has no added sweeteners but has a very mild naturally sweet flavor. It has lots of oddly named ingredients after the egg and whey, but I'm pretty sure they're all vitamins. Pretty sure. No carbs.
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote