General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 3"

Default Thinking of starting the Atkins diet

Hi everybody!

First of all I don't know if this is the right section to put this thread, if it isn't, please feel free to move it to the right section.

I am thinking of starting the Atkins diet. Limiting the carbs means, that your body will not have anything else to burn so it will be forced to burn fat. Or at least this is the theory (and plan ). A lot of people told me, that with this diet and mild exercise they were able to lose around 30 pounds in two weeks.

But I have also heard that this diet can be very risky and you can get easily hypoglycemic. Have anybody tried and successfully maintained this diet?
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

We have a Atkins sub forum on this board! Come join us

30 lbs in 2 weeks sounds excessive though. It is true you tend to lose a lot quickly at first, but I don't think it would be 30 lbs. Plus, you don't want to lose that much that quickly because then you may have loose skin and all that jazz.

There is a woman over on our Atkins forum who lost 100 lbs and has been maintaining it for years. I did Atkins myself the first time I lost weight here and lost 14 lbs in a month (including a week where I stalled). I've just done a month of Atkins again and I've lost 12 lbs (just had a baby )

I feel great on the diet, I don't get blood sugar spikes and it actually helps me not get those crazy low blood sugar moments where you overeat because it drops so suddenly.

It just depends if it is the right diet for you. Come on over to our forum and come chat with us It's in the low carb area.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #3  
threenorns

that's the trick: it has to be the right diet for your body.

me, i cannot go vegetarian. if i do, i wind up anaemic in no time - my body cannot absorb non-haeme iron.

i also do far better without starches in my diet - eating starches makes me feel groggy, sometimes to the point i'm dizzy and even disoriented. could be a blood sugar thing. i also crave much more when i eat starches, particularly bread - i'm BAD for bread.

that being said, my bff cannot eat meat - if she eats meat (any kind) she get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea - she's lost the ability to digest meat and she's a-okay with her iron.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCake View Post
Hi everybody!

First of all I don't know if this is the right section to put this thread, if it isn't, please feel free to move it to the right section.

I am thinking of starting the Atkins diet. Limiting the carbs means, that your body will not have anything else to burn so it will be forced to burn fat. Or at least this is the theory (and plan ). A lot of people told me, that with this diet and mild exercise they were able to lose around 30 pounds in two weeks.

But I have also heard that this diet can be very risky and you can get easily hypoglycemic. Have anybody tried and successfully maintained this diet?
Read the book first. Don't start doing what you *think* Atkins is, understand what you're getting into. And I can't imagine how hypoglycemia would be worsened by Atkins. As someone who has to manage hypoglycemia, going low carb only ever helps me.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 3"

StephanieM: Hi! Oh, I really didn't notice that there is a sub forum for Atkins, sorry . About the 30lbs in two weeks - I know for sure that it must be an exaggeration but it sounds really tempting and interesting.

threenorns: How do I check it out, if it's the right diet for my body?

98DaysOfSummer: Yep, it looks that I have to do a lot more searching and reading before I decide to try this (or any other) diet.
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote