Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #1  

Default tomato basil soup ideas

Ok I have a box of the tomato basil soup but can hardly stomach eating it anymore. Any suggestions on ways to improve the taste.
anneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/197/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneteacher View Post
Ok I have a box of the tomato basil soup but can hardly stomach eating it anymore. Any suggestions on ways to improve the taste.
Have you tried making it into a "bread"? I bought a box, and that's what I plan on doing with it. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that will be lunch today!
Icathinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 132/124.6/110

Height: 5'4

I love the tomato basil soup, but I have a box of chili that I despise. Would you like to trade? I'll even pay shipping! Just an idea lol.
des1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneteacher View Post
i was in the same boat. the soup is icky and my coach would not toake it back. So the folks here helped me out with a flatbread recipe.

Contents of packet plus 1/4 cup egg whites, plus pinch of salt, plus pinch of baking soda and some water to a pancake consistency. I add oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper or hot sauce. Mix well. then you can either make waffles in a Pam coated pan, or 2 thin pancakes. I eat them as is, but you can cool them and have your salad on them or wrap some roasted veggies in them. they are hot pink and kind of cool looking!!!
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/197/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimcoachmomma View Post
i was in the same boat. the soup is icky and my coach would not toake it back. So the folks here helped me out with a flatbread recipe.

Contents of packet plus 1/4 cup egg whites, plus pinch of salt, plus pinch of baking soda and some water to a pancake consistency. I add oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper or hot sauce. Mix well. then you can either make waffles in a Pam coated pan, or 2 thin pancakes. I eat them as is, but you can cool them and have your salad on them or wrap some roasted veggies in them. they are hot pink and kind of cool looking!!!
That's exactly what I plan to do! I had to do it with the broccoli cheese as well....blech.
Icathinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

Man that stuff is ooky. The first time I tried it I could barely finish it lol. Maybe you could blend it up with REAL tomatoes in a processor, add some more basil, and maybe add a little splenda (I'm used to tomato basil soup being a little sweet, and it wasn't.)
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: s176.5/c160/g130

Height: 5'3

Add some ground beef, mushroom, peppers and spices for a new take on chili.
fluffernutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #8  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I know there is a waffle recipe that was on Steven's thread... You could use it as a sammich... or even a "pizza" crust.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I love tomato soup, but the IP soup is not great. I added 2 tsp of tomato paste to brighten the flavor some, and cooked my vegees first, blended them and then added the soup. I also tried adding the WF tomato/basil sauce and it was a little better.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimcoachmomma View Post

Thanks for the great idea. I'll give it a try.
anneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/?see ticker?/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm so glad you posted this.. Neither DH or myself like this.. I think it's time to make some flatbread!!
whisperingshouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

SOUP:
1. Roast cauliflower.
2. Add 2 cups water to blender. (Twice the amount called for)
3. Add IP Tomato Soup and blend.
4. Add cauliflower, 2-4 drops Tabasco, and 1 tsp of horseradish paste. Blend.
5. Add sea salt and a pepper mix (white, black, green, pink peppercorn, etc) to taste. Blend, then pour into microwave safe container.
6. Microwave until hot.
7. I add a handful of fresh or frozen basil (the dry basil isnt as good)

You can also add a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes before or after microwaving.

Adding 1/2 a package of sweetener (Truvia/ Splenda) helps brighten the tomato flavor.

If you find you are using more than 2 packages of sweetener per day, then add 1/2 -1 bell pepper to the soup before blending. The natural sweetness of the bell pepper completely changes the flavor.

2. BREAD
(Recipe is above in previous thread)

3. VEGGIE PATTY
1. Add 2 egg whites, spices, IP mix and a bit more water if desired.
2. Add your choice of veggies. I use cooked broccoli, cauliflower, raw onions and indian spices for an Indian veggie patty. (Garaham Masala, Tika Masala, Curry , etc) You can also try 1/2 to 1 can of cut green beans (better than fresh surprisingly).

4. EGGPLANT & TOMATO SAUCE
1. Cook sliced eggplant. Brush with olive oil. Dash on a few drops of tabasco and salt and pepper. (I bake at 200 for about 20 min or more).
2. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 the amount of water asked for. Add a touch of milk (from your morning coffee allowance) after heated until desired consistency.
3. Pour sauce over cooked eggplant and bake for additional 5 minutes. Top with fresh basil.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 03-08-2012 at 02:41 AM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

I'm not a huge fan of it either, I have one pack left to go! I roast red peppers and blend it into it, makes it a bit better. I have to be honest I hate all the soups
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote