Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 338/338/175

Height: 5' 9"

Cool New Guy

Hey, new to the 3FC community. I am hoping that I will be able to find some support here, from people who know what it's like to be overweight and have had some success of their own, that will help to motivate me to lose my weight. My ULTIMATE goal (way, way, way down the line) would be about 160-170, I am currently 337; So I guess my goal is to lose a whole person. Ha! I have recently joined a gym, but I have been discouraged from going, because I have no idea what to do when I am there. I do make frequent use of the pool though. Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome!

P.S. I just copied/pasted one of the intro/bio things I filled out from one of the other forums below.

DATE - 3/4/2012

USER NAME - anmiller07

SIGNIFICANCE OF YOUR USER NAME - AN(toine) MILLER (my full name) 07 (the year I graduated high school). I started using this moniker online in 2006, in celebration of my (at the time) upcoming graduation. It's just stuck since...

REAL NAME - Antoine Miller

AGE - 22

BIRTHDATE - May 30, 1989

WHERE YOU LIVE - Philadelphia, PA

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Michael; Recently engaged.

ANNIVERSARY - December 5

KIDS - None...yet. We're young. But we both have younger siblings that we look after.

PETS - Bichon Frise

OCCUPATION - Network/Telecommunications Analyst II (Healthcare Sector)

STARTING WEIGHT - 337

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - None currently, looking for idea's suggestions.

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Treadmill, Bike, Swimming

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Fried Chicken, Mac 'n' Cheese, SODA!

FAV.BOOK(S) - I like to read plays, so right now Im (re)reading A Rasin in The Sun in conjunction with Clybourne Park (Pulitzer prize winning sequel of sorts soon coming to Broadway); August: Osage County, Streetcar Named Desire, and Wedekind's Spring Awakening.

FAV. MOVIE(S) - Not really a movie guy...honestly can't think of a favorite...

FAV. SONG(S) - This changes frequently, right now I'd say Adele's "One and Only" and "Take It All," along with "The Breakup Song," by Marsha Ambrosius.

FAV. QUOTE - "When you change someone's life, you change your own." Barri McPherson

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU - New to 3FC, and weight loss.

Last edited by anmiller07; 03-04-2012 at 10:04 PM.
anmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Welcome
You are in the right place for support, I love this site! Congratulations on deciding to work toward your health. I reccomend calorie counting while limiting carbs (eat only whole wheat etc)and, plenty of veggies and fruit, and lean meats because it has worked for me. I swim at the gym as well, it is a great workout!! I am in the same boat as far as not knowing what to do with the rest of the gym lol though I do ride the recumbent bike every so often. Welcome again, you will get so much support here
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh and congratulations on your engagement! I just realize you posted in the men's corner but still like to say hi eventhough I am a chicky Chic
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 420 324.6/Ticker/250

Height: 6

Welcome Antoine! Glad to have another guy around. Not sure what kind of advice to give about the gym, I use a treadmill at home but want to join a gym this summer maybe. Is there someone there that can help you or maybe a friend that can come show you some pointers? Maybe look up some exercises on the net that you can do, anything is better than nothing. I'm walking on the treadmill 30 mins. a day and counting calories. Im currently having around 1800-2000. What you eat is definitely the biggest part of losing weight. Good luck on your journey and I hope you stick around so we can help each other! Btw, soda is my big no-no food also, been soda free since Feb. 1st lol, except for the occasional sprite zero.
LGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Antoine (anmiller07) - Yep, this is a good place to get and give support for sane eating and exercise. There are a bunch of men on 3FC, both here in this forum and spread around the site.

My first trip to the gym was sceery - I assumed that I was the only one who knew nothing. What worked for me was to get a few sessions with a trainer just to get the confidence. He helped me write down a routine to use; I've modified that for my sessions ever since. If you don't want to go the trainer route, there are a dozen "beginner's" book to exercise. I've read a few, and some advanced ones, mostly just to increase my confidence that the simple things that I do are quite sufficient for me. All of them contain a plan for a beginner that would seem to me to be good enough. The number one requirement is: KEEP GOING.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/200/200

Height: 6' 2"

Welcome An,

Even no-no foods are ok occasionally (like on cheat days); the critical point is portion control.

Also, try to add a period of daily walking; if weather is bad, climb stairs or walk around in a local mall.

Keep after it!
Wimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Welcome! Gosh I really, really love PEPSI...soda is a major weakness for me. I also LOVE mac'n'cheese...but i know it's no bueno...except for a cheat day...I wish you great success!
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 338/338/175

Height: 5' 9"

Thanks everyone for the welcome and warm wishes! My fiance and I were (miraculously) able to pay off our venue yesterday in full so the wedding date has officially been set for Summer 2014. Hopefully that gives me enough time to reach my ultimate goal....looking good in a speedo on our honeymoon!
anmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

SPEEDO!? i don't know if it's possible for anyone to look good in those lol...IMO, of course....

I'm more of a board short guy...but a goal is GREAT to have!
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/200/200

Height: 6' 2"

Default Speedo?

If your honeymoon is in Europe, have fun with the Speedo...otherwise, keep it hidden and never admit that you actually have one!
LOL
Wimpster is offline   Reply With Quote